Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
    Well, I see:

A (straight) exchange of DeMarre Carroll for Lou Williams ... bringing T-Ross off the bench as 6th man+D
    An exchange of Greivis for CoJo, Delon and Norman Powell
    An exchange of Bismack, Luis Scola, James Johnson (+ Anthony Bennett, Bebe one day) for Amir Johnson

I think we hope that:

Kyle and DeMar stay healthy, and (motivated by the All-Star game and last year's exit) run the off./defensive systems well.
    DD and JV make an incremental improvement ... and JV is ready for improved/expanded offensive and defensive roles
    DD, KL, Carroll and Scola bring mentorship and veteran leadership to a pivotal, #Prove 'em year
    Casey has learned a few things, and delegates responsibility well, so the coaches can bring all this together ... by Christmas?

It took the Cavs quite a while to bring it together with that talent base. So I don't think the focus is wins, this year - it's just making the playoffs (a top 5 seed would be very nice) and coming together as a better team in so doing.

But I see cause for cautious optimism here ... but a tough coaching challenge in a short time.
    My fear is that Amir Johnson was a pivotal member of Casey's defense (knew the defense inside/out, was the anchor) that his loss will be really noticeable. Scola is a crafty player on offense, but can he be an anchor on defense? I don't trust JV to be an anchor on defense quite yet. Bismack was tasked to have that role, but he'll be coming off the bench. If he's really the anchor does that mean JV will be coming off the bench? I doubt it.

Carroll and CoJo both thrive on ball movement. Carroll needs shots created for him (was it like 98% of his 3's were assisted or something last year). If the ball sticks like it did last season, Carroll will not be as useful as Lou was. Defensively he'll be an upgrade over Ross, but once it hits the paint I'd worry JV/Scola or JV/2Pat may have problems.

I see an upgrade defensively but offensively possibly a down grade. This is probably a good thing for the playoffs as I'm hoping this talent upgrade will help make the difference for once (as defense does help win the championship).. but in the regular season I'd be surprised if they surpassed 49 wins.

I like going into Raptor seasons with some pessimism. Raptors have broken my heart many times before, so I guess I'm a little jaded because of that. If they exceed my expectations then I'll be a happier guy.

Comment

listen up guys....TENFORTHEWIN has spoken. We are going to have an amazing year! We have four all stars in our starting lineup!
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

So much to be excited about!

- Ripped Lowry.

- Seeing how the returning players respond to last year's playoff debacle.

- DeMar DeRozan being named an All-Star by merit, not because better players were injured.

- Watching the bench players on the deepest team in the league compete for minutes, and play their hearts out.

- The drama of the continuing saga of JV's fourth quarter minutes (seems to be on everyone's radar at this point).

- JV BEING USED IN A DEFENSIVE SYSTEM DESIGNED TO NOT RUIN HIM.

- Along those lines: whatever it is that Greer brings to the team.

- JV becoming a borderline/actual All-Star.

- Is Biyombo worth a damn?

- Do the Brazilians play, ever? (For the Raptors; we know, for sure that they'll be playing for...

- ...RAPTORS 905!!!!!!!!)

- Anthony Bennett rising from the ashes and playing himself into the rotation.

- Halftime interviews with Jerry Stackhouse; the heir apparent to Tom Sterner (RIP Tom).

- Scola's 'old man at the Y' post game.

- Scoreboard watching the Knicks and Nuggets.

- Watching future Raptor Jamal Murray kill it for Kentucky.

- Seeing what Masai does with his coming excess of 1st round picks.

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOO
        Last edited by JimiCliff; Fri Oct 2, 2015, 10:44 AM.
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

People are actually grouchy and depressed before we've even tipped a ball off? You know why I'm excited for the season? Because basketball is back! Isn't that why we're all here? Or do people just cheer for transactions and draft picks nowadays?
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I'm giddy for a pre-season game on Sunday ffs...
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I'm just excited to watch basketball. If it's intelligent and smart basketball from the Raptors, i'm even more excited. If not, there's always the Spurs, for me.
              #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

I'm most excited to see if the style of play can return to that of 2013-2014, post Gay trade when the players were sharing the ball and really digging in on D, and grinding out opponents to the tune of sub 90 pt. games.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  My fear is that Amir Johnson was a pivotal member of Casey's defense ... I don't trust JV to be an anchor on defense quite yet.
                  Carroll and CoJo both thrive on ball movement. .... If the ball sticks like it did last season, Carroll will not be as useful as Lou was.
                  I see an upgrade defensively but offensively possibly a down grade. I'd be surprised if they surpassed 49 wins. ....

If they exceed my expectations then I'll be a happier guy.
                  In a sense, I believe - am hoping - that those who are regularly telling us that they can't see Casey coaching this team to a good year are right ... to a point - because there's a very useful consensus there, I think (will assume) about what the issues were with this team last year.

And I think problems identified are problems that can be solved.

I think JV will be a little bit better, at least. And I think the coaches are going to use him, as much as they can, in the ways everybody's been hoping. Less/no hedging. More 4th quarter. And I've read that Amir's play sagged last season anyway - for obvious reasons. But there is help for JV, in various ways. And maybe Cojo, Wright, T-Ross and Powell, together, can outperform Greivis and Lou. All things considered.

But "yes": If the ball "sticks", a half-dozen guys, or more, will have utterly failed to seize their opportunities. But while the RR "old guard" (and some others) had (in some senses) identified the issues by game four of last season (kudos), I think everybody who needs to know knows that now. And every member of the Raptors roster, and staff, knows what that would mean.

As I said, getting 50 wins isn't likely necessary in the Eastern conference. Not a benchmark this year. Getting ready for the Heat, Bulls, Wizards, Hawks later in the season - and so the 2016 FA period - is.

I'm not convinced of anything, really. But so much has happened. I think we can afford some cautious optimism. We're fans, right?
                  Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Fri Oct 2, 2015, 11:31 AM.

Comment

I might be spoiled by all the Canada Basketball I've been watching over the summer. Despite the heartbroken finish, there is a lot of hope for future, and I'm really looking forward to seeing them play again next year.

With this Raptors team, the future is so uncertain, it's hard to get the hopes up.

Comment

It's a 49-win team that's added more balance, better depth, additional prospects, a very good SF in place of a blackhole there last year.... Yeah, there is still no superstar level talent but there's still a lot to like and a lot to be positive about with JV, Derozan (CONTRACT YEAR!!!), Lowry's back, Carroll.... There's enough there to be formidable. And, worst case scenario, if it all goes bad there's no terrible long term deals, a competent GM at the helm, and lots of picks to be used. Organizationally, this is the best overall position they've been at since 2006 and, even then, the short-term prospects were bleak.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        Not to be a buzzkill, but I'm not as excited going into this season as I was last season.

Last season, there was hope that the team learned from their heartbreaking loss to the Nets. That internal growth, plus extra motivation would equate to better results.

This season, with most of last year's core coming back, I don't think there were enough roster changes to make a significant difference. I still see a sub-50 win team who will struggle to make it past the 1st round.
                        Yeah, I'm with you.

People might be shocked by this, but I have zero faith in Casey to get the most out of this roster or reign in DeRozan's chucking.

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
                          I don't really like the idea of T. Ross as a 6th man, if the term means he's a guy that is going to a focal point on offence coming off the bench. His skills are best suited to compliment a lead scorer or scorers. Whether that is in the starting line up or on the 2nd until doesn't change things.
                          I agree. His game is to float around on the perimeter and shoot threes and make the occasional back door cut. Don't think giving him the ball as mini-Lou is going to work

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                            I agree. His game is to float around on the perimeter and shoot threes and make the occasional back door cut. Don't think giving him the ball as mini-Lou is going to work
                            It doesn't have to. We can have a more balanced attack on the 2nd unit, or mix and match bench with starters. Either way, Ross can still put up scores in bunches. When he comes on for DeMar (next to Carroll) we'll have our best-shooting lineup on the floor around JV.

Comment

Here's a question, with (hardcore) fans generally more excited and optimistic about this year than some years past, do you guys think there's less discussion/argument on here than years past?

RealGM looks pretty slow, but perhaps it's trending that way anyway, but it doesn't seem that busy here either...

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
                                I'm most excited to see if the style of play can return to that of 2013-2014, post Gay trade when the players were sharing the ball and really digging in on D, and grinding out opponents to the tune of sub 90 pt. games.
                                That's exactly what I want to see too. Sharing the ball on offense is key. Defensively effort is key. I worry that as the season goes on DC reverts to ISO heavy off fence and fourth quarter small ball.

Comment

Working...
                                X