• Show
Clear All

• do you see us playing more uptempo this year

Just wondering if our roster changes lead to that? Your thoughts please

ball movement plz
    OG is our king

Comment

Mo' shats!

Tempo = overrated. It's nice to see "easy" fast break points, but a lot more goes into it than that. For example if you shoot/score out of a proper offensive set, everybody's more likely to be able to get back into position on D. Mostly you can only play uptempo if you have the personnel for it, and I don't think the Raps have the personnel for it. Just move the ball, run good sets, and get back on D.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

We have the roster for it and the moves we made definitely support it, but no I don't expect much of a change. Maybe with a second unit group with CoJo pushing it in short bursts (would really help Biyombo since he is a liability on offence in half-court) but overall I think no matter what system changes Casey institutes, his pace (generally ranked 22-24th) will stay the same.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
          Mo' shats!

Tempo = overrated. It's nice to see "easy" fast break points, but a lot more goes into it than that. For example if you shoot/score out of a proper offensive set, everybody's more likely to be able to get back into position on D. Mostly you can only play uptempo if you have the personnel for it, and I don't think the Raps have the personnel for it. Just move the ball, run good sets, and get back on D.
          Why do you think we don't have the personnel? No matter the lineup combos, I foresee likely 4 players with above avg speed/motor on the court at once. Scola would be the main culprit for being slow for his position, but the rest of our bigs are either lean & mobile or high motor. No reason we couldn't imo.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

consmap wrote: View Post
            ball movement plz

That is it.

Shut 'er down!

Comment

Raptors were 25th, 24th, 23rd and finally 21st in pace in the league under Casey. Every year we improve a little but if we do again it will probably be insignificant. Casey likes to avoid turn overs, and pace controls that for the most part.

So I suspect the tempo to be low again.

Comment

I expect us to run more off our defense, with DD and Carroll shooting the passing lanes, one of the most athletic backup lines in the league, and Biz and others igniting the break with blocks and rebounds.

Comment

running will depend on what changes are made to our defense and if priority is placed on rebounds. You can overplay and try to force turnovers and that speeds things up, as well as having more guys leak out. Or you can force bad shots, secure the rebound and play in the halfcourt.
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I just don't want to hear this for the 3485839th time:

"Dwane Casey urging his team to go..."
                    OG is our king

Comment

consmap wrote: View Post
                      I just don't want to hear this for the 3485839th time:

"Dwane Casey urging his team to go..."
                      "urging his team to 'go go go'".

FTFY

Comment

I dont think we should run. I dont like someof our players decisions in transition (aka DD never passing)

What i would rather see is us enter our offensive set by the 19-20 second mark rather than the 14 second mark like last year. It will create missmatches and not allow the defense to set. Play half court but fast. Control the game. Utilize JV as a trailer into the high post to initiate the offense. You will see the Spurs do the same thing Duncan

Comment

I can see our pace slowing down this year. That in itself would help some of our defensive numbers.

Less quick shots = less easy run-outs for the opposition.

Comment

Demar is going to get his 15 or 16 isolation plays per game minimum, that is going to keep the pace WAAAAAY down low.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                              Why do you think we don't have the personnel? No matter the lineup combos, I foresee likely 4 players with above avg speed/motor on the court at once. Scola would be the main culprit for being slow for his position, but the rest of our bigs are either lean & mobile or high motor. No reason we couldn't imo.
                              I think there's a lot more to uptempo than being athletic or fast. The first need is to have rebounders who look up the floor and throw great outlet passes. A second way to get it done is to have a great passing PG with a high motor who is also always looking down the floor. I don't really think the Raptors have either (not relative to a great uptempo team, anyway). They do have athletic wings who could leak out and finish a fast break, though.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                              X