Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mack North
    replied
    Way to go, Joe! Congrats to you and your solid team. This was the toughest vote for me, easily, but I ended up voting for you. I couldn't deny The Reign Man a title! I insisted that he invite me to his coke/booze/hooker-filled championship afterparty. We're still going and I've had the pleasure of meeting at least 8 of his kids and 7 of the moms!

Leave a comment:

• Cody73
    replied
    Joey wrote: View Post
    Is.... is that a Goat?
    A Faun.

Mr. Tumnus.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Congrats Joey!

Well played to you both but there can only be one.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Z
    replied
    Congrats Joey!

This tournament took quite a while, almost two months... whose the dude who wanted the draft to last until the regular season? hahaha

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    Congrats Joey! Nash and AI finally have their championships!
    Thanks man!

And I think Wilt ultimately gets the Finals MVP though.
    He's been a work horse for me, playing over 48 minutes a game throughout our run.

Leave a comment:

• e_wheazhy_
    replied
    I'm going to ban all of them anyways

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    Yep, congrats to Joey!

Is.... is that a Goat?

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    Cody73 wrote: View Post
    Joey trumps us all.

Like I said so many months before.

Nice work, Joey..... How you feelin?
    Thanks man!

Mostly just wondering how many people voted for me just so they wouldn't get banned ... Haha

Leave a comment:

• Cody73
    replied
    Joey trumps us all.

Like I said so many months before.

Nice work, Joey..... How you feelin?

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    Wow, thinking back on the competition I had to get through to get to this point, I'm absolutely honoured, humbled and shocked that my squad of guys was able to triumph.

The exchange of knowledge and history that happened over the course of this tournament should not be overlooked or underacknowledged. I can say with certainty that I have learned gobs about certain players, and teams, and seasons and history in general that I likely would not have bothered to educate myself about if not for this fun tournament.

Wheazhy, I had my eyes on your team ever since your first two picks of Stockton and Malone (mostly because I had Stockton as my #1 PG to pair with Wilt); I knew you were one to be reckoned with. We built our teams incredibly similar, and I knew if I ever had to face you, it would not be easy. And it wasn't at all. Up until yesterday I was all but convinced I had lost this one. Great match up my man.

Until Next Year!!

Leave a comment:

• BobLoblaw
    replied
    Yep, congrats to Joey!

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Sorry guys.. forgot to vote in this one (been a busy week). Congrats Joey! Nash and AI finally have their championships!

Leave a comment:

• e_wheazhy_
    replied
    Bob, that's a great idea re: Kawhi on Nash. That had kinda been my strategy the whole way here, switching my best defender on to the other team's best offensive player, I don't know why I went away from that. It'd work well enough, even if we just switched Kawhi on him for a couple of plays, and lived with Stockton playing the passing lanes on the passes to Artest or even Artest post ups, as that takes the ball away from their better scorers.

Either way, I'm just happy to have made it this far, considering I wasn't even slated to be in the league and got handed the team with the last pick at the last second. I'm honoured to have gone up against you fine gentlemen and proud of myself for having made it so far. It was extremely fun getting to test my basketball knowledge against guys who I feel have great basketball knowledge and insight.

When I think back to when we started this draft, and all the time in between then and now, a lot has changed for the better, and I hope you all can reflect and feel the same way. Thanks to everyone who voted, who participated, who followed the draft even though you weren't participating and even to those who made accounts just to vote! Welcome to RR! Joey, congratulations on making the finals, you have a great team and had a great draft. I'm on mobile so I can't check the score (though I'm sure I'm beating you by like 347 votes &#128526 but at this point it doesn't even matter, we're all alive and I'll celebrate that. We're all winners here.

Leave a comment:

• BobLoblaw
    replied
    e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    Like I said, Wilt won't be neutralized but with the length, strength and defensive IQ of our defenders, we have the ability to guard him in many ways in the post - especially with double teams, as he was not a good and much less a willing passer - and fronting him with another player to deny him the ball. For a guy who's reportedly 7'4 to only have a wingspan 1.5" longer than Dwight is not a huge advantage.

Moreover, Nash averaged 4 turnovers a game! With the number of passes he makes per game as well, my man John Stockton will have a field day "playing the passing lanes". Also, like I mentioned, we don't need Stockton to be a scorer - Nash's weak defense means Stockton will have an easy time making plays for his teammates, which makes our team better than the sum of its parts
    When you say 7'4 with a winspan 1.5'' longer than Dwight's, I think you mean Yao Ming. Yep, Yao didn't have freakishly long arms for his height (still quite long). But he was effective against Dwight IF he got the ball in the post. Getting Yao the ball sometimes worked very well, sometimes it didn't work at all against some teams.

Wilt was kind of like Rudy Gobert, 7'2-ish with freakishly long arms and good athleticism. But his main talent is that he's a very skilled player in the post, he could finish in a ton of ways.

Yep, I think that defending Wilt will require fronting and helping a lot, making sure that he gets the ball on the block as little as possible, but will it work well, I don't know. He's much more mobile than someone like Yao and he has Nash to give him the ball in the right spots.

In general, Wilt is one of the hardest players to judge for me. Talent is huge, but his type players are very unusual in today's NBA, a pure post-up scorer who sits on the block pretty much full time.

I'd be very interested to see what would really happen.

I think your team also has advantages, Malone vs. Reed, I'm not sure that Reed can defend well enough here. Also prime Artest can chuck a lot, so I guess I'd try to get the ball out of Nash's hands quickly, I might even defend Nash with Kawhi or at least help often. Try to let Artest hold the ball as much as possible and make decisions with it.

Still, I think Joey's team probably has better matchup advantages. Plus I think that team is more talented. I'd personally say that the best 4 players in this whole matchup are Wilt, Malone, Nash and Iverson in some order, Joey has 3 of them.

Your team is also very talented overall. I think the starting lineup doesn't stand out in talent in this draft, but it's a very deep team with great players on the bench. It's well built, deep. But Joey's team to me has advantage in both talent and matchups.

Leave a comment:

• e_wheazhy_
    replied
    Legacy League championship - VOTE NOW!

Joey wrote: View Post

I don't think people will be swayed by arguments that get into "Emotional outbursts", questioning players "Practice" regimen, or making up weird claims about Wilt not being a willing, or good passer (even though he nearly averaged a Triple-Double). I think with Superior Guard Play, Better Shooting, Superior Wing Defenders, and Superior Bigmen, my team would prevail.
    GREAT way of framing this to "destroy" my arguments. Only they weren't the sole part of the argument, and they are indeed extremely relevant arguments. If a guy gets emotional on the court and gets a T, or ejected, well guess what? That's free points for me, plus you now have a shorter rotation. Secondly, the practice thing was a throwaway joke, the main problem was his extremely high usage number (4.6 ast per game for a POINT GUARD?) will destroy the flow of your ball movement oriented offense. As for Wilt "almost" averaging a triple double... The year you mentioned up there, 50 points, 25 boards...? 2.4 ast. Not exactly Rajon Rondo.

I agree that the team with Superior Guard Play, Better Shooting, Superior Wing Defenders, and Superior Bigmen would come out on top. Unfortunately 10 voters (so far) seem a little confused as to who this team is... (Hint: it's mine! &#128521

Love you guys, great job Joey, don't mind losing because you got a great team but I'm definitely not going down without a fight. My guys just beat Jordan and they're hungry for a championship (Malone, Stockton, Reggie, Lanier, Rose, and Dwight are salivating at the mouth... Kawhi is neutral on the topic, as with everything)

EDIT: Worthy did average 37.5% in the playoffs, didn't realize it was a small sample size though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X