No announcement yet.

Raptors vs Warriors 10:30PM EST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spurs have that hive mind, where everyone reacts at the same time. They are like the Borg lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
      Smart players can see what's trying to be accomplished when a play is run wether thee coach tells them or not.

We aren't running plays. The closest I've seen is someone setting a pick, but no one else on the team moves and the ball is never passed to the man who set the pick, so it's still zero movement iso dog shit offense.

The Spurs system is all about constant ball movement, and off ball movement. It's a pretty simple concept that typically results in a very high percentage shot if you pass it enough and everyone keeps moving. The fact we have zero off ball movement is not because our players are dumb, Carroll moved like crazy off the ball in Atlanta, it's that our shitty offense is still about iso. Against the Clippers Lowry was hitting tough shots and you can't count on those going in all year. Some passing and movement would results in easier shots that you can count on going in. Basic horns is pretty fucking simple and easy to implement, plus it's enjoyable to watch.
      Last edited by Primer; Thu Oct 8, 2015, 12:30 AM.

Comment

• Lol so tru

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
          Smart players can see what's trying to be accomplished when a play is run wether thee coach tells them or not.

Primer wrote: View Post
          We aren't running plays. The closest I've seen is someone setting a pick, but no one else on the team moves and the ball is never passed to the man who set the pick, so it's still zero movement iso dog shit offense.

The Spurs system is all about constant ball movement, and off ball movement. It's a pretty simple concept that typically results in a very high percentage shot if you pass it enough and everyone keeps moving. The fact we have zero off ball movement is not because out players are dumb, Carroll moved like crazy off the ball in Atlanta, it's that our shitty offense is still about iso. Against the Clippers Lowry was hitting tough shots and you can't count on those going in all year. Some passing and movement would results in easier shots that you can count on going in. Basic horns is pretty fucking simple and easy to implement, plus it's enjoyable to watch.
          Casey/DeRozan no-movement ISO-ball make me long for the days of Calderon, Delfino and Parker sharing the ball around the perimeter for open 3pt look after open 3pt look... and that alone is justification for a change! lol

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            Casey/DeRozan no-movement ISO-ball make me long for the days of Calderon, Delfino and Parker sharing the ball around the perimeter for open 3pt look after open 3pt look... and that alone is justification for a change! lol
            Calderon, Delfino and Parker were also 3 guys that could all hit a 3 point shot. You have to work with the personnel you have guys. It's easy to give Casey the blame, but you know ball movement only works if the team you are playing against respects your shooting. No need to defend on the perimeter if nobody is capable of making a shot right?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
              Calderon, Delfino and Parker were also 3 guys that could all hit a 3 point shot. You have to work with the personnel you have guys. It's easy to give Casey the blame, but you know ball movement only works if the team you are playing against respects your shooting. No need to defend on the perimeter if nobody is capable of making a shot right?
              Steven has worse shooters but hasn't given up the perimeter. Force Demar to take spot up threes and stop dribbling and defense will respect him and open lanes. Some player can score off the dribble 30 ft out but Demar isn't one of them.

Comment

• There was one year where demar scored most of his points off screens we should get back to that

Comment

A lot of that action was also predicated off (Bosh) isolation, but I know what you mean (pining for that offense is pretty drastic). Last year I think we did kick it out (to the weak side), then that player (GV, Lou, DeMar, Ross, Kyle) would either shoot or hold/dribble (then shoot or pass). Hopefully we'll see a lot more kickouts followed by swinging around the horn this year. It's pretty basketball, and those shots off the swing (seem to) hit so much more.

Hopefully Carroll facilitates/necessitates that shift.
                  Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Wed Oct 7, 2015, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                    First of all, you can have a lot more ball movement and a team-oriented system, even if you aren't reliant on multiple 3pt shooting threats. Second, I think the Raptors had plenty of 3pt threats last season, when you include Lowry, Ross, Patterson, Lou, and Vasquez. Amir also proved to be a capable 3pt shooter (in very small doses) and I wish DeRozan would have relied more on set 3pt shots from high % areas (ie: the corner), instead of taking so many forced long-2s (the worst shot in basketball). The only primary rotation players that weren't a 3pt threat were JV and JJ/Hansbrough.

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                    A lot of that action was also predicated off (Bosh) isolation, but I know what you mean (pining for that offense is pretty drastic). Last year I think we did kick it out (to the weak side), then that player (GV, Lou, DeMar, Ross, Kyle) would either shoot or hold/dribble (then shoot or pass). Hopefully we'll see a lot more kickouts followed by swinging around the horn this year. It's pretty basketball, and those shots off the swing (seem to) hit so much more.

I think a lot of people who have called for more touches for JV do so thinking that he could ultimately fulfill that Bosh role (before Bosh started falling in love with mid-range jumpers). If more of the offense was run through JV, with plays actually drawn up for him to facilitate ball movement (ie: don't just give JV 4/5 clear-out opportunities per game and then completely ignore him), I think he could prove more than capable.

Patterson, Carroll, DeRozan and Lowry should all be perimeter threats, allowing the Raptors to utilize an inside-out offensive attack, with lots of ball movement. Involving JV doesn't simply mean give him more ISO attempts, but rather actually build an offensive system that utilizes him and makes him responsible for initiating offense both for himself and via inside-out ball movement. If plays were designed with lots of off-ball movement and picks to get perimeter guys open, when JV's primary options are to hit a cutter or find a man outside, that would only help both him and the team get better.
                    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Oct 7, 2015, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

CoJo too. Both of them come from amazing ball moving teams, Scola also but because of his high IQ. Hopefully it rubs off on the rest of the team.

Comment

...I think a lot of people who have called for more touches for JV do so thinking that he could ultimately fulfill that Bosh role (before Bosh started falling in love with mid-range jumpers). If more of the offense was run through JV, with plays actually drawn up for him to facilitate ball movement (ie: don't just give JV 4/5 clear-out opportunities per game and then completely ignore him), I think he could prove more than capable....
                        One play from the first game sticks in my mind. JV set the screen and subsequently received the ball. A I recall he looked to take the shot, and then looked around for someone to pass to when he didn't like the setup. There was no one open and as he kept looking around the ball got stolen.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                          One play from the first game sticks in my mind. JV set the screen and subsequently received the ball. A I recall he looked to take the shot, and then looked around for someone to pass to when he didn't like the setup. There was no one open and as he kept looking around the ball got stolen.
                          Yes, but that's also the one play that stands out for the complete and utter lack of ball movement. I yelled at JV for being slow and brain-dead during live action, but when they showed the replay, I realized that he was on the court with four statues. He still needs to have better focus and awareness, but it would also help to have an actual play to run and teammates that were engaged.

Comment

• I don't recall the play you guys are talking about but did JV do anything with the ball or just receive and look to pass? It helps your teammates to find open lanes if JV creates open lanes by demanding the focus of the D and sucking them in. Otherwise it's just a one on one situation which is exactly what the Raptors want to exploit with JV in the post.

Comment

• Been some great comments in the last page or so.

Nice.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                                Coach Nick still in pre-season mode, working his way into game shape. lol. Get that gawbage outta here!

that's his mid-season form
                                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X