Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

that's his mid-season form
    LOL. Coach Nick needs to give up tweeting and stick to stuff like this.

This is playoff form...

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
      I don't recall the play you guys are talking about but did JV do anything with the ball or just receive and look to pass? It helps your teammates to find open lanes if JV creates open lanes by demanding the focus of the D and sucking them in. Otherwise it's just a one on one situation which is exactly what the Raptors want to exploit with JV in the post.
      I'm talking about the one play where JV got the ball at about the foul line or just above it, and wound up getting stripped by Jordan, which lead to a fast-break dunk. It was a boneheaded play by JV, where he was so busy looking to make a play that he lost focus and forgot all about Jordan... any of us could have knocked the ball free. If he held the ball higher and/or with 2 hands, he likely wouldn't have lost it, even after falling asleep on the play.

Comment

• Totally agree on the JV clear outs being awkward and forced. Also tough when the defender knows JV has no options and it's post ups or bust.

Just clearing out the side is so unnecessary. A big needs space to post up, but if he gets the ball on the block he doesn't need half the court. Also you actually want defenders to cheat and start to double - that's how you open up the floor for your shooters. If a strong side perimeter defender ducks in to swipe at the ball, you kick it out to the perimeter. If the other big cheats across the key for a double, you get it to your other big for a layup. There are so many options that you're ruling out by clearing the floor. It's like the post version of an end-of-quarter-Lou play.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Raptors vs Warriors 10:30PM EST

LJ2 wrote: View Post
          I don't recall the play you guys are talking about but did JV do anything with the ball or just receive and look to pass? It helps your teammates to find open lanes if JV creates open lanes by demanding the focus of the D and sucking them in. Otherwise it's just a one on one situation which is exactly what the Raptors want to exploit with JV in the post.
          I'm pretty sure they are talking about the play where Jonas got the ball at the top of the key with Deandre Jordan guarding him, and he looked around to pass for like 3 seconds and deandre just swiped at him and stripped him leading to a breakaway dunk. I thought JV was being stupid too until I watched the other players the next couple of times JV got the ball and they were all statues except DC a couple of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            ...Yes, but that's also the one play that stands out for the complete and utter lack of ball movement....
            That is my point. No one was open because they weren't doing anything to get open.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
              Totally agree on the JV clear outs being awkward and forced. Also tough when the defender knows JV has no options and it's post ups or bust.

Just clearing out the side is so unnecessary. A big needs space to post up, but if he gets the ball on the block he doesn't need half the court. Also you actually want defenders to cheat and start to double - that's how you open up the floor for your shooters. If a strong side perimeter defender ducks in to swipe at the ball, you kick it out to the perimeter. If the other big cheats across the key for a double, you get it to your other big for a layup. There are so many options that you're ruling out by clearing the floor. It's like the post version of an end-of-quarter-Lou play.
              There were a few times last year where they left one of the guards on the strong side when JV posted up (usually Vasquez), and he was able to find them for a good look from 3 if the defender helped.

It will also help if JV isn't in good position and needs to repost.
              OG is our king

Comment

Working...
              X