Grantland League Pass Rankings - Toronto Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grantland League Pass Rankings - Toronto Raptors

The League Pass Rankings measure the "watchability" of out-of-market teams. This year it was just Zach Lowe:

T-18. TORONTO RAPTORS (31)

This feels low. Skinny Kyle Lowry tore through preseason like some combination of Michael Jordan and Isiah Thomas; he has literally found another gear and he’s zipping by help defenders who cut him off just last season. Lowry at full throttle is a treat. He dives for loose balls, gambles for steals, and changes directions so fast, it’s almost like he’s bouncing instead of running. He’s small enough at 5-foot-11 that you lose sight of him among the giants, and then, bam, he pops back onto the screen in a different spot.

But the Raptors of the Lowry/DeMar DeRozan era have run a stodgy offense of midrangers, overly scripted set plays, and one-on-one hoists. That offense has worked — Toronto ranked third in points per possession last season — but it isn’t exactly popcorn entertainment. That could change this season. DeMarre Carroll lives to pass and move, Patrick Patterson provides more spacing at power forward, and slimmed-down Lowry should do even more damage in the lane. Everyone is watching Jonas Valanciunas. Trade suitors are convinced Toronto is lukewarm on him, and rival executives are curious about how Valanciunas might fare in another system — and whether a post-up 7-footer with so-so feet on defense can flourish in the modern NBA.

And nobody — nobody — shills for anything like Jack Armstrong, one of Toronto’s color guys, shills for Miller Genuine Draft. Armstrong screams about “MGD” with such glee, it’s a mild surprise he’s not chugging one when the camera turns back to him.

The new logo and court are cool, and the bench brings Luis Scola flippy shots, Bismack Biyombo’s stone hands, Terrence Ross spacing out on defense, and BRUUUUNNO!
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

"Draft. Armstrong screams about “MGD” with such glee, it’s a mild surprise he’s not chugging one when the camera turns back to him."

Comment

Trade suitors are convinced Toronto is lukewarm on him, and rival executives are curious about how Valanciunas might fare in another system — and whether a post-up 7-footer with so-so feet on defense can flourish in the modern NBA.
      That is interesting.

Even if Raptors are lukewarm, he isn't going anywhere until the season is finished due to 6 month no trade after extension signed.

Comment

I would hope the Raptors are Lukewarm on most of its players.

None are superstars, and we arent winning championships.

We have no first or second or third team all nba players

We have no defensive all nba team players

We have no MVP candidates

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post

Very good point.

Comment

Not really surprised by the 18th ranking. If anything, I thought it would be lower. Maybe I don't give American viewers enough credit.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Not really surprised by the 18th ranking. If anything, I thought it would be lower. Maybe I don't give American viewers enough credit.
              Been this way for a while, we haven't been an "exciting" team since Vince.

Which is unfortunate cause we went from being one of the most exciting teams in the league to just Meh.

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post

Agree with everything but the bold.

Lowry was a legit MVP candidate to start the season last year...and he only looks better so far. He legitimately is that good when he is on the floor and healthy

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                  Agree with everything but the bold.

Lowry was a legit MVP candidate to start the season last year...and he only looks better so far. He legitimately is that good when he is on the floor and healthy
                  Lowry better than Wall, Curry, Paul, Lillard? Tough sell
                  Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                  Because its 2015

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                    Better than lillard for sure. (contingent on him playing good D)
                    "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                      Better than lillard for sure. (contingent on him playing good D)
                      But Lillard raps...
                      Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                      Because its 2015

Comment

mmm look at our coaches and other players, Lowry carries the team for sure. Just look at the second half of the year and playoffs when Lowry was banged up and not playing well. He certainly is more of a dark horse, but can compete. If the raps win 55+ games and Lowry continues his current play he has to be considered. big ifs mind you.

Comment

Well when Lowry got hurt look how crappy we became. Those teams were still good (not as good) without those players.

Lowry is a legit game changer. Hence why when he does do stupid stuff he generally gets a free pass from me. He wins games.

Comment

Working...
                          X