Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is T Ross underappreciated by the Raptors fan base?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is T Ross underappreciated by the Raptors fan base?

Ross was thought to be the 3&D wing fixture of our future. After last season, most seemed to complete write Ross off. Pre-season has changed some perspectives, but was last season really as bad as many felt?

Facts:
    Ross shot 37.2% from 3 last season
    Ross is still young and learning
    Ross is a more natural SG than SF due to lack of bulk

Looking at per36 numbers last year, Ross had a line of

Points FG% 3P% TRB AST
    13.9 41 37.2 3.9 1.5
    Some comparable 3rd year lines I found were (Batum, Danny Green, Parsons)
    Points FG% 3P% TRB AST
    13.4 42 37.2 5.3 4.6
    13.5 43 41.8 5.0 2.3
    17.1 41 38 5.3 2.7
    Of these comparable lines, Batum was age 24, while Green and Parsons were 26 – so all older than Ross. Batum's age 23 season was
    Points FG% 3P% TRB AST
    16.4 45 39 5.4 1.7
    So from age 23 (Yr 2) to age 24 (Yr 3), we see the production change from
    Point 16.4 down to 13.4
    FG% 45% down to 42%
    3P% 39% down to 37%
    TRB 5.4 to 5.3
    AST 1.7 jumps to 4.6

The only jump is with assists, but based on his role and our offensive scheme, fair to say getting assists wasn’t a priority for Ross.

Ross number are worse than those players, no doubt. He doesn't rebound as well and his assists are lower, but with more ball movement, Ross should see more assists and it is possible based on Batum's career. With another year of getting stronger, Ross could increase his rebounding figures if he continues to log time at the SF spot. Defensively, I do have faith in Ross. He has shown it in the past, but needs to be more consistent (which can be said about nearly every young player).

He will still lag behind these guys, but the gap is not nearly as big as some have made it sound.
    Last edited by Axel; Wed Oct 21, 2015, 03:44 PM.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

let down from the 50+ game i think.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post

Ross was thought to be the 3&D wing fixture of our future. After last season, most seemed to complete write Ross off. Pre-season has changed some perspectives, but was last season really as bad as many felt?

Facts:
      At just 23 years age, Ross is still young and learning

Points FG% 3P% TRB AST
      13.9 41 37.2 3.9 1.5
      Points FG% 3P% TRB AST
      13.4 42 37.2 5.3 4.6
      13.5 43 41.8 5.0 2.3
      17.1 41 38 5.3 2.7
      Of these comparable lines, Batum was age 24, while Green and Parsons were 26 – so all older than Ross. Only Batum played in the NBA at age 23, and his line was
      Points FG% 3P% TRB AST
      16.4 45 39 5.4 1.7
      Point 16.4 down to 13.4
      FG% 45% down to 42%
      3P% 39% down to 37%
      TRB 5.4 to 5.3
      AST 1.7 jumps to 4.6

The only jump is with assists, but based on his role and our offensive scheme, fair to say getting assists wasn’t a priority for Ross.

Ross number are worse than those players, no doubt. He doesn't rebound as well and his assists are lower, but with more ball movement, Ross should see more assists and it is possible based on Batum's career. With another year of getting stronger, Ross could increase his rebounding figures if he continues to log time at the SF spot. Defensively, I do have faith in Ross. He has shown it in the past, but needs to be more consistent (which can be said about nearly every young player).

He will still lag behind these guys, but the gap is not nearly as big as some have made it sound.
      Ross is definately underrated.

LAst season was bad, but he was misused the entire season as well as playing hurt for a while.

im at sg and he can become a guy in the mold of a true 3andd guy who can have a very important role on a winning team.

Comment

Facts:
        At just 23 years age, Ross is still young and learning

Points FG% 3P% TRB AST
        13.9 41 37.2 3.9 1.5
        Points FG% 3P% TRB AST
        13.4 42 37.2 5.3 4.6
        13.5 43 41.8 5.0 2.3
        17.1 41 38 5.3 2.7
        Of these comparable lines, Batum was age 24, while Green and Parsons were 26 – so all older than Ross. Only Batum played in the NBA at age 23, and his line was
        Points FG% 3P% TRB AST
        16.4 45 39 5.4 1.7
        Point 16.4 down to 13.4
        FG% 45% down to 42%
        3P% 39% down to 37%
        TRB 5.4 to 5.3
        AST 1.7 jumps to 4.6

Ross is definitely under appreciated (you'd honestly think he was the sh*ttiest player in the league based on a lot of the comments here).
        "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
        "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

No
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

I see nothing but a scrub. His 3pt shooting will keep him in the NBA though.
            "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Worst defender in the entire NBA at SF last year. I think he's appreciated a fair amount considering his production, which is essentially catch and shoot 3's and bad everywhere else. Hoping for a lot better this year.

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                I see nothing but a scrub. His 3pt shooting will keep him in the NBA though.
                i disagree with this. i think too much excitement got into his early career and expectations went crazy high. he was groomed as a starter for years because of it. not starter material but far from a scrub

Comment

he looks very active defensively this year
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                    he looks very active defensively this year
                    Hopefully he plays exclusively at SG. That combined with coming off the bench should instantly make him a better defender. Still want to see it in regular season before I'll believe it.

Comment

I was dubious about his muscle-gain this offseason, and it's nothing dramatic, but he's no longer the scrawny kid he once was.

The thing with Ross on RR is that many are committed to letting him walk in favour of the tantalizing lights of free agency (w/ max-offer space).

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                        I was dubious about his muscle-gain this offseason, and it's nothing dramatic, but he's no longer the scrawny kid he once was.

The thing with Ross on RR is that many are committed to letting him walk in favour of the tantalizing lights of free agency (w/ max-offer space).
                        If it comes down to ross or Horford then the choice is simple....unless of course ross comes out with crazy numbers on the season... like becomes Danny Green.

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                          Well letting go off him for KD or Horford is a must, but there genuinely seemed to be a lot of people who felt that he is barely more than a vet min player.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Well letting go off him for KD or Horford is a must, but there genuinely seemed to be a lot of people who felt that he is barely more than a vet min player.
                            He's looked like a vet min player so far. If he plays like last year then it behooves us to let him walk as the average replacement player would be a lot better.

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post
                              Ross is definately underrated.

LAst season was bad, but he was misused the entire season as well as playing hurt for a while.

im at sg and he can become a guy in the mold of a true 3andd guy who can have a very important role on a winning team.
                              Agreed, but Ross' issues are on the mental side. Doesn't always show up, never know what you're going to get out of him. I'm hoping the ankle was the culprit and he shows more consistency this year. That must be the hardest thing about being a pro, having to bring t every single night.
                              Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                              Because its 2015

Comment

Working...
                              X