Can Raps be like the Spurs someday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    The Raptors need to find a superstar big man first to play alongside JV.
    I feel like whenever people talk about how awesome the Spurs are and what geniuses Buford and Pop are they gloss over (or never mention) the fact that Tim Duncan is one the top 10 players in the history of basketball. This seems kinda important......

Comment

I'm just glad they've got beyond the "Spurs are boring" label of the past. Pretty much everyone appreciates them now.

And yes "Anything is possible!!!"

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
        I feel like whenever people talk about how awesome the Spurs are and what geniuses Buford and Pop are they gloss over (or never mention) the fact that Tim Duncan is one the top 10 players in the history of basketball. This seems kinda important......
        Timmy D - most underappreciated GOAT of all-time.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Sure we can be like the Spurs. And there's an easy roadmap to get there: wait until Popovich, Duncan, Parker and Ginobili retire, and they decide they need to rebuild around Leonard so they decide they take an intentional step back for a couple seasons. Then we might be just like them for a short period of time, before they complete their rebuild and get back to perennial contender status.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
            Timmy D - most underappreciated GOAT of all-time.
            I really hope he announces his impending retirement before his last season so crowds around the league can give him a series of standing Os (ala Kareem).

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
              And not even the fact that he's one of the top 10 players, he's probably one of the top 10 team mates. He makes people better because he is willing to work so hard and take criticism from his coaches. He set the tone for what playing on the spurs meant and is probably one of the reasons that pop can do what he does. The genius that is Pop and Buford probably wouldn't be a thing if Duncan wasn't who he is as a person

Comment

I think the respect that the players have for Pops was huge for the success they have had in that organization. It seems particularly rare in the NBA, that highly paid, egocentric superstars would defer to a lower paid coach. We have seen many examples of players getting coaches fired, or organizations moving on from coaches because of poor relationships with top players, or players just not listening or trusting the coach. I don't know if this has more to due with Pops, or the personalities of players like Duncan, Parker, and Gino, but Pops had no issues with calling these guys out and benching them if necessary, and yet it didn't fall apart for them. Kawhi is being treated in the same manner, and seems better for it. I don't know, but I got mad respect for that organization. Chicken or egg? Have the players made the coach or the coach made the players?

Comment

^I think it has come from a combination of a front office and coach having the same no bullshit philosophy. I think that is the way it should be.

"yes-men" coaches and front offices burn out and always have strife, and are more likely to just have flash in the pan success than long term success

Comment

Dumb post.
                    Move on.

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
                      https://www.facebook.com/Glory4You/v...51423/?fref=nf

This is a great video about how the Spurs are respected around the league and how their coach has the total respect of all of the players. What's going to take for Toronto to be %50 like that?
                      They need a Tim Duncan and a Coach Pop.

So to answer your question, no.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

Will Spurs be like Spurs in a couple of years I wonder
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                        X