Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Jonas now ready for "Prime-time"?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I think he's already proven that he can succeed in limited minutes and against inferior opposition. He's also proven (during FIBA) that he's able to assume a bigger role with greater responsibility.

    At some point the training wheels need to come off and, if you think you have a prize fighter in your corner, you have to let him duke it out with the big boys.
    Jack Armstrong responded to criticism about JV's minutes last season by saying that "JV hasn't been pushing/insisting that he get the crunch-time minutes. When he thinks he's ready, you'll know it.".

    I agree that JV looked disappointed in being taken out of Wednesday's game. And I think that's a very good thing. If he feels he's ready to take the weight and go up against the big boys - and is prepared to live with some tough nights while learning and fully establishing himself - then I'm absolutely fine with that.

    (But that's partly because I think that JV has done nothing in his time here but show that he's a smart young man and a true team-player. I still thing there may be nights when Biyombo makes more sense ... or when JV knows that it's not his night, by the time the 4th rolls around.
    Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Fri Oct 30th, 2015, 12:46 PM.

    Comment


    • #47
      Great post.

      Honestly.

      Comment


      • #48
        Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
        Jack Armstrong responded to criticism about JV's minutes last season by saying that "JV hasn't been pushing/insisting that he get the crunch-time minutes. When he thinks he's ready, you'll know it.".

        I agree that JV looked disappointed in being taken out of Wednesday's game. And I think that's a very good thing. If he feels he's ready to take the weight and go up against the big boys - and is prepared to live with some tough nights while learning and fully establishing himself - then I'm absolutely fine with that.

        (But that's partly because I think that JV has done nothing in his time here but show that he's a smart young man and a true team-player. I still thing there may be nights when Biyombo makes more sense ... or when JV knows that it's not his night, by the time the 4th rolls around.
        Are you suggesting that a player that doesn't publically second guess the head coach automatically doesn't believe he's ready to play important minutes?

        I agree with your assessment of JV, in terms of being a good teammate and respectful to his coach and franchise. However, I think it's a reach by you and Jack to jump to that sort of conclusion. JV has played important minutes for his country on the international stage for years, so I have no doubt that he believed he was ready. I just think he's a team-first guy that won't make a public stink about it.

        Comment


        • #49
          CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          Are you suggesting that a player that doesn't publically second guess the head coach automatically doesn't believe he's ready to play important minutes?

          I agree with your assessment of JV, in terms of being a good teammate and respectful to his coach and franchise. However, I think it's a reach by you and Jack to jump to that sort of conclusion. JV has played important minutes for his country on the international stage for years, so I have no doubt that he believed he was ready. I just think he's a team-first guy that won't make a public stink about it.
          Remember what the reaction was to Lowry's subtle comment about Casey at the end of the playoffs last year? And how that was interpreted?

          Any visual or verbal second guessing of anything automatically means you are a cancer and immature and should be traded as soon as possible (if I remember some of the comments correctly).
          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

          Comment


          • #50
            CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            Are you suggesting that a player that doesn't publically second guess the head coach automatically doesn't believe he's ready to play important minutes?

            I agree with your assessment of JV, in terms of being a good teammate and respectful to his coach and franchise. However, I think it's a reach by you and Jack to jump to that sort of conclusion. JV has played important minutes for his country on the international stage for years, so I have no doubt that he believed he was ready. I just think he's a team-first guy that won't make a public stink about it.
            It's your prerogative to call what I said a "reach". I think it's also fair to call it an "inference".

            As for your question (bolded), my answer is "No".

            Comment


            • #51
              Its sink or swim time. He has to earn his big bucks now! Keeping him close to the rim will pay dividends. More rebounds, more blocked shots and fewer guards going to the rim untouched. I love their new defense and how they are using Jonas. I think he might be a 15 / 10 player this year.

              Comment


              • #52
                Yes he is ready for a usage around 28%

                and 32 mpg

                and playing in the fourth quarter

                and not playing full quarters

                and touching the ball at least 75% of the trips down the floor

                #Casey'd

                Comment

                Working...
                X