and 32 mpg

and playing in the fourth quarter

and not playing full quarters

and touching the ball at least 75% of the trips down the floor

#Casey'd

Leave a comment:

• Profster
    replied
    Its sink or swim time. He has to earn his big bucks now! Keeping him close to the rim will pay dividends. More rebounds, more blocked shots and fewer guards going to the rim untouched. I love their new defense and how they are using Jonas. I think he might be a 15 / 10 player this year.

Leave a comment:

• Wild-ling#1
    replied
    CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Are you suggesting that a player that doesn't publically second guess the head coach automatically doesn't believe he's ready to play important minutes?

I agree with your assessment of JV, in terms of being a good teammate and respectful to his coach and franchise. However, I think it's a reach by you and Jack to jump to that sort of conclusion. JV has played important minutes for his country on the international stage for years, so I have no doubt that he believed he was ready. I just think he's a team-first guy that won't make a public stink about it.
    It's your prerogative to call what I said a "reach". I think it's also fair to call it an "inference".

As for your question (bolded), my answer is "No".

Leave a comment:

• Just Is
    replied
    Are you suggesting that a player that doesn't publically second guess the head coach automatically doesn't believe he's ready to play important minutes?

I agree with your assessment of JV, in terms of being a good teammate and respectful to his coach and franchise. However, I think it's a reach by you and Jack to jump to that sort of conclusion. JV has played important minutes for his country on the international stage for years, so I have no doubt that he believed he was ready. I just think he's a team-first guy that won't make a public stink about it.
    Remember what the reaction was to Lowry's subtle comment about Casey at the end of the playoffs last year? And how that was interpreted?

Any visual or verbal second guessing of anything automatically means you are a cancer and immature and should be traded as soon as possible (if I remember some of the comments correctly).

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
    Jack Armstrong responded to criticism about JV's minutes last season by saying that "JV hasn't been pushing/insisting that he get the crunch-time minutes. When he thinks he's ready, you'll know it.".

I agree that JV looked disappointed in being taken out of Wednesday's game. And I think that's a very good thing. If he feels he's ready to take the weight and go up against the big boys - and is prepared to live with some tough nights while learning and fully establishing himself - then I'm absolutely fine with that.

(But that's partly because I think that JV has done nothing in his time here but show that he's a smart young man and a true team-player. I still thing there may be nights when Biyombo makes more sense ... or when JV knows that it's not his night, by the time the 4th rolls around.

Leave a comment:

• Superjudge
    replied
    Great post.

Honestly.

Leave a comment:

• Wild-ling#1
    replied
    I think he's already proven that he can succeed in limited minutes and against inferior opposition. He's also proven (during FIBA) that he's able to assume a bigger role with greater responsibility.

At some point the training wheels need to come off and, if you think you have a prize fighter in your corner, you have to let him duke it out with the big boys.
    Jack Armstrong responded to criticism about JV's minutes last season by saying that "JV hasn't been pushing/insisting that he get the crunch-time minutes. When he thinks he's ready, you'll know it.".

I agree that JV looked disappointed in being taken out of Wednesday's game. And I think that's a very good thing. If he feels he's ready to take the weight and go up against the big boys - and is prepared to live with some tough nights while learning and fully establishing himself - then I'm absolutely fine with that.

(But that's partly because I think that JV has done nothing in his time here but show that he's a smart young man and a true team-player. I still thing there may be nights when Biyombo makes more sense ... or when JV knows that it's not his night, by the time the 4th rolls around.
    Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Fri Oct 30, 2015, 12:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Just Is
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post
    And their home opener is against Memphis tonight. They have my condolences.
    Poor PG.

I said this in the game thread but I'll say it again. The Pacers are not going small because they want to...they're doing it because they have to.

Leave a comment:

• octothorp
    replied
    My favorite play last night came sometime in the first half. As I remember it, JV set a pick for DeRozan, who drove; this original pick and roll was reasonably well defended, and DeRozan immediately kicked it back out to Lowry, who immediately drove, and as soon as Mahimi left JV to help, Lowry found JV with the pass for the easy dunk. That play had about as much chemistry as I can ever recall seeing from those three together on offense. I hope to see a lot more of that type of offense as the season goes on. They all demand attention from defenders when they're playing to their strengths, and that's going to open things up for one another. Of course, it could be that that was just some early-season improvisation that Casey manages to eliminate once he gets his plays implemented.

Leave a comment:

• Henry_Chinaski
    replied
    Three things:

1) Now that Valanciunas doesn't have to run around the 3pt line on D Raptors are much better on the glass. Off course, Carrol, Scola and Biz do a very good job too. So +1 for solid defensive rebounding;

2) Valanciunas played in the last few minutes because Biz fouled out. If he would've avoided that 6th foul, he'd have played till the end. And Jonas scored 5 points in the last couple of minutes... So there you have it. I think Jonas will get around 30 min against Boston but struggle on O against Amir while Biz will be getting more minutes in a game against Bucks. Jonas is still too late on defense but it's obvious that he makes much better reads and decisions on D when he's under the basket. I think that the main reason why Jonas could be getting a bigger role (like he did in the first game) is Ujiri. He wanted to change defensive approach and it just feels this demand to feed him in the post, to play more inside-outside game. And 10-12 shots per game is enough to keep Jonas happy and keep him efficient and to avoid too many turnovers.

3) Offense is still based on ISO. Too much. On the other hand, Scola has a terrific passing game and was looking for Jonas all game long. DD and Lowry share the ball with Carrol and Jonas much more which is a good sign. The issue is that they still don't do a good job on motion offense. But it's the first game of the season.
    Last edited by Henry_Chinaski; Thu Oct 29, 2015, 02:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• raptors999
    replied
    SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    Yeah that's a scrub rotation, but both are defensive role-players. My point is that Mihinmi is not a small player, and Jonas made him look small.
    Jonas should be able to dominate Mahimi. He is getting paid to be battling with the Duncan and Gasols not the Mahimis of the league. Centers generally are just bigger against guys so it isn't like SG or SF who might have an off night. Bigs need to be consistent otherwise they aren't better than jump shooters

Leave a comment:

• raptors999
    replied
    JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Lowry/Carroll/George/Markieff/JV...that team contends in the East...
    PG would be the 2

Leave a comment:

• JimiCliff
    replied
    hotfuzz wrote: View Post
    Oh man, imagine if we can get PG here. I hope he becomes disgruntled.
    Lowry/Carroll/George/Markieff/JV...that team contends in the East...

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    raptors999 wrote: View Post
    vs Mihimi and Hill. Indy is a very small sample size.
    Yeah that's a scrub rotation, but both are defensive role-players. My point is that Mihinmi is not a small player, and Jonas made him look small.

Leave a comment:

• hotfuzz
    replied
    Oh man, imagine if we can get PG here. I hope he becomes disgruntled.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X