• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Why does he look like Rob Babcock?

I'd say he's got more of a Mr. Rogers/Mr. Dress up feel to him. Lol

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
      Great. We hired someone from the Air Canada bargain bin.

This is like going from champagne bottles to a box of apple juice.
      Look at the bright side - with Frisdahls contacts, the Raps players and wives can get first class service on Rouge.

That'll get KD here, I'm sure.

Comment

Great. We hired someone from the Air Canada bargain bin.

This is like going from champagne bottles to a box of apple juice.
        Is it at least carbonated apple juice?

Comment

Just bring the Maple Leafs back to glory!

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Is it at least carbonated apple juice?
            Apple drink: now with 10% real juice!

Comment

They probably went through a series of guys.. and had to settle for this guy. Whatever.. his role is to help mediate between Rogers and Bell and I guess he's up for the challenge.

I just want him to leave Masai alone.. oh and to give him a 10 year extension once his contract is up.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                Finance guys always meddle - and usually in a bad way. Fortunately, Masai seems to be a value conscious type of guy, who should get along just fine with bean-counters. But you never know.

TL was a sports guy who did "meddle", but in good way that helped Masai tremendously, e.g., getting budget (practice court, D-League team,...) , talking to Lowry, etc...
                The issue I have with finance guys is that their focus first and foremost will be shareholder earnings, and that means extreme attention to quarterly results instead of a long-term view. I know some people don't want to hear it, but if in the event we are on the treadmill, there is almost no way we'd undertake a proper rebuild.

Comment

The issue I have with finance guys is that their focus first and foremost will be shareholder earnings, and that means extreme attention to quarterly results instead of a long-term view. I know some people don't want to hear it, but if in the event we are on the treadmill, there is almost no way we'd undertake a proper rebuild.
                  Lieweke had vision for the organization that went waaaay beyond your typical corporate management skill set. Looks like they couldn't find TL 2.0. Oh well. Like DanH said, hopefully he'll stay out of the way and let the sports guys run things. Hopefully it won't all be small picture corporate thinking again, like it used to be. *shudders*
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

The major shareholders are Bell and Rogers, so you would expect/hope that they're in it for the long-haul and view the Raps as rising asset both in terms of revenue generation (advertising/sponsor) and potential future exit & sale. The sinking Canadian dollar is concerning, and hurt NHL franchises last time around, so maybe that was a factor in going with a finance guy. Who knows? A wild card is Larry Tanenbaum, who supposedly butted heads with Leweike, so really hope that this isn't just a case of hiring a guy that Tanenbaum feels he can contain in the boardroom.

What is surprising is that Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment hired a guy without a shred of sports or entertainment experience on his resume. He must be a big Maple Leafs fan. lol.

Comment

the last part isnt true.

a true numbers guy will see the value of a proper rebuild.

Comment

The Leafs are going through a rebuild now.. if that ends up being successful (and we won't know for another 2-3 years), then it'll be easier to convince the board that its a smart play for the Raptors if they ever have to go through it themselves.

If the Leafs rebuild is accelerated or ends up like Philly in the NBA then all bets are off.

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post
                          the last part isnt true.

a true numbers guy will see the value of a proper rebuild.
                          And what exactly is a "proper rebuild" anyway? Like Philly? Or like the Warriors, in hindsight? Imagine the criticism Colangelo would have received if he drafted Steph Curry? Why get another un-athletic point-guard (who is still learning the position) and who can't defend his position, when we already have that in Jose?

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                            And what exactly is a "proper rebuild" anyway? Like Philly? Or like the Warriors, in hindsight? Imagine the criticism Colangelo would have received if he drafted Steph Curry? Why get another un-athletic point-guard (who is still learning the position) and who can't defend his position, when we already have that in Jose?

I dont think anyone in the known universe thought that Curry was another Jose.

but a proper rebuild is a step or 2 back, and accumulation of assets, clearing of capspace, and moving on and up from there.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post

I'd say he's got more of a Mr. Rogers/Mr. Dress up feel to him. Lol
                              For some reason, my mind immediately thought of:

Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Hope I am wrong but this guy smells like a Peddie to me. He is neither a sports nor entertainment guy. Peddie sold Huggies and toilet paper before he joined mlse....this guy sold vacation packages. It just seems that no one of real talent or consequence wanted the job after TL....strange.

Comment

Working...
                                X