Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KHD wrote: View Post
    oh the irony.

who is advocating for kevin mchale to replace casey? there was like, 1 comment about him being a good candidate because he'd use Valanciunas more, then a bunch of people pointing out how bad McHale is. Not exactly a serious "talking up". But, it does make yet another straw man for you to put up and knock down.
    Three guys think so.Some of the them are even RR superstars..

DanH
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Both could be available at the end of the year.
    Edit.. both being McHale and JB Bickerstaff

Axel

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

DanH wrote:
    True but I don't want to wait that long

Besides, wouldn't it be ideal to land McHale as top dog then have him bring JB as the assistant in the off-season? Win-Win!

ceez

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Besides, wouldn't it be ideal to land McHale as top dog then have him bring JB as the assistant in the off-season? Win-Win!
    that'd be really something

think McHale would be a godsend for JV. and probably Lowry.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
      For what its worth... I think if a player the caliber of a Stephan Curry or Kevin Durant suits up for the Raps then anyone of those above mentioned guys becomes a coaching genius.
      I don't know about that. Scott Brooks had Kevin Durant and Mark Jackson had Steph Curry and both of those guys got run out of town with their reputations not so highly regarded.

Neither was considered a coaching genius, except perhaps Brooks for a brief period after he took over, which was relative to how inept a job that PJ Carlesimo had done (he had Durant playing SG position, among other things).

Same thing happened with Mike D'Antoni and the Knicks (Melo, Chandler, Amare), and D'Antoni again with the Lakers (Dwight, Kobe, Pau). It could possibly be happening this season with Alvin Gentry and Anthony Davis.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
        I don't know about that. Scott Brooks had Kevin Durant and Mark Jackson had Steph Curry and both of those guys got run out of town with their reputations not so highly regarded.

Neither was considered a coaching genius, except perhaps Brooks for a brief period after he took over, which was relative to how inept a job that PJ Carlesimo had done (he had Durant playing SG position, among other things).

Same thing happened with Mike D'Antoni and the Knicks (Melo, Chandler, Amare), and D'Antoni again with the Lakers (Dwight, Kobe, Pau). It could possibly be happening this season with Alvin Gentry and Anthony Davis.
        To be fair to Gentry, I'm not sure how anyone had the Pelicans pegged as a playoff team. That roster is still hot garbage outside of Davis.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          To be fair to Gentry, I'm not sure how anyone had the Pelicans pegged as a playoff team. That roster is still hot garbage outside of Davis.
          because people were journalistically fellating everything to do with the Warriors, and therefore thought Gentry was some kind of genius who could bring them to new heights.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
            because people were journalistically fellating everything to do with the Warriors, and therefore thought Gentry was some kind of genius who could bring them to new heights.
            Their PnR offense is pretty good its just so hampered by awful players that it doesnt really work. Just like Browns offense in Philly, its really Spurs-esque if the Spurs were D-League rejects. The passes and movement is good then it clanks off the rim alot.

Comment

Three guys think so.Some of the them are even RR superstars..

DanH
              Raptors Republic Superstar
              Post Thanks / Like

Edit.. both being McHale and JB Bickerstaff

Axel

Super Moderator
              Post Thanks / Like

DanH wrote:
              True but I don't want to wait that long

ceez

Raptors Republic Veteran
              Post Thanks / Like

that'd be really something

think McHale would be a godsend for JV. and probably Lowry.
              Wow man. Just wow.

I think you completely misunderstand the premise of that thread. McHale isn't necessarily at the top of any list but he would be an improvement over Casey.

I would actually have a fair bit of interest in Bickerstaff though. Will be interesting to see how his interim gig goes.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Good points... maybe it would be easier to be a coaching genius then if you had Steph Curry or Kevin Durant in the locker room. Not guaranteed but easier.
                - TGO

Comment

Consider that perhaps he may initially have been forced into it. Jonas was not having a particularly good night offensively. A pretty pedestrian 2 for 9 and 5 boards. Casey isn’t as big a dummy as most portray him to be and very clearly knows Biz is brutal on the offensive end but then how much worse could it be than 2 of 9 that you got from your number 1. Factor in JV wasn’t having much success holding Cousins off the scoresheet. Some nights you know you don’t have it. Your teammates know and as sure as there is going to be snow in Winnipeg in December the coach knows. JV didn’t have it Sunday. So Biz becomes an option here. We are up by 3 at the quarter and Biz had played ~ 9 minutes and he was ready to go. The other option (the never ending project Bebe Noguriea) is in Fort Wayne on assignment. So you make your decision and its Biz going in. You talk to your go to guys (DD and Kyle) that your going to need them to carry the load as BB is going in. Your two guys look up and say .. we got it coach.
                  So whaddaya know Biz goes in and the lead gets stretched to 10 at the 7 minute mark. Biz has now played 14 minutes but its been broken up with a blow at the quarter and two full time outs taken at the 10 and 8 minute marks. He’s 23. Hes got legs and we are up 10. OK here we go. Biz your back in. In this scenario thats the gamble..that Biz would continue to hold up the defensive end (Sacto had 4 points in 5 minutes) and Casey would ride this out and have his defense win it for him. Time ticks on .. Sacto starts to closes the gap but still .. its two possession game with 3ish to go and we have the ball. However there is still time to sub out Biz and put in a now cold as ice JV off the bench. Tough call. Decision made again to stay with Biz and defense rather than JV to try to win it with offense. As we all painfully saw it went PFFT.. We lost guys in switches for two wide open under the basket dunks and DD and Kyle couldn’t carry the load. We got nada/niente/zappo points the rest of the way. The gamble/decision didn’t pan out. We lost. Rats. Heartbreaker. On to the next one.
                  From my viewpoint its a plausible strategy in the context of how the game was playing out. Its not always about algorithms and analytics as the game is unfolding at speed with plenty of human variables in play. I think I have said this in staccato fashion amongst the various posts in this long tennis match. You don’t have to agree with this view point or support it.

It is what it is.
                  First bold - this is the exact problem several people pointed out, that by playing 4-on-5 offense, it almost forces the team to rely on the inefficient and unsuccessful ISO/hero-ball approach

Second bold - against Cousins, Biyombo was having no greater success than Valanciunas was

Third bold - a complete joke, based on perception/reputation instead of reality, per the 2 points above

Fourth bold - proves the concerns related to the first point above

Fifth bold - this is where our disagreement lies, if you think the strategy was sound; myself and others don't, largely due to the points above, which have unfortunately been proven right time and time again. It's not that a "plausible strategy" happened to fail, but rather that a poor strategy that was doomed to fail (unless hero-ball bailed it out), did fail.

Comment

• I don't know how there's so many pages of debate about this decision.

It was a completely indefensible coaching decision, any way you slice it.

And the whole 18-minute straight thing. He's done that kind of shit before. I distinctly remember him doing that with Hansbrough at C at least once, where Hansbrough played like 15+ minutes straight. That's just obviously bad coaching. There's no justification for it. You exhaust your player who'll play worse and worse as he gets tired, and it also might even increase risk of injury. The guy or two at the same position sitting get ice cold and lose any game rhythm. And you make it easy for your opponent to adjust because of the time they have to do so.

There is simply no reason to play someone like that. If the explanation is Casey trapped himself by not making a sub at some point to rest Biyombo, that's also indefensible, especially with the amount of stoppages in the 4th. Then he was just too stupid to realize how long he had the guy in there and failed to sub him out to give him even a brief rest before riding him again down the stretch.

When you add the whole "the team was obviously worse offensively and at best the same defensively with BB in there", it makes it even more ridiculous. It's not like Biyombo was out there tearing it up. He was struggling with Cousins (like everybody), and a liability (to say the least) on the other end. What is there even to discuss?

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      I don't know how there's so many pages of debate about this decision.

It was a completely indefensible coaching decision, any way you slice it.

And the whole 18-minute straight thing. He's done that kind of shit before. I distinctly remember him doing that with Hansbrough at C at least once, where Hansbrough played like 15+ minutes straight. That's just obviously bad coaching. There's no justification for it. You exhaust your player who'll play worse and worse as he gets tired, and it also might even increase risk of injury. The guy or two at the same position sitting get ice cold and lose any game rhythm. And you make it easy for your opponent to adjust because of the time they have to do so.

There is simply no reason to play someone like that. If the explanation is Casey trapped himself by not making a sub at some point to rest Biyombo, that's also indefensible, especially with the amount of stoppages in the 4th. Then he was just too stupid to realize how long he had the guy in there and failed to sub him out to give him even a brief rest before riding him again down the stretch.

When you add the whole "the team was obviously worse offensively and at best the same defensively with BB in there", it makes it even more ridiculous. It's not like Biyombo was out there tearing it up. He was struggling with Cousins (like everybody), and a liability (to say the least) on the other end. What is there even to discuss?
                      He did it to Scola last night. Weird ass rotations are his trademark

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                        He did it to Scola last night. Weird ass rotations are his trademark
                        Yes, but in many cases there are reasons to think one thing might work better than another. Scola and 2Pat have different strengths. PF is the position most likely to be weeded out when going 4-out small (though I think Scola should be getting C minutes, like JV, in such lineups). And PF is also our sketchiest position.

There's just no single reason of any kind for him to have kept Biyombo out there. Ok, you gotta put him in for some minutes *since he is the backup...but yeah, when it became clear he was going to ride him out the whole game that decision was terrible in every possible sense. Even if you're going to overuse him and basically throw the game strategically, he didn't even give the guy a breather. I think Casey forgets what it's like to run all out up and down a basketball court.
                        Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Nov 18, 2015, 07:41 PM.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          First bold - this is the exact problem several people pointed out, that by playing 4-on-5 offense, it almost forces the team to rely on the inefficient and unsuccessful ISO/hero-ball approach
                          I guess you saw some other option or person to play the 5 then that would get you points and shut down Cousins. JV wasn’t having any kind of a night and was eating pine on the bench. A warranted move based on his performance that night. So it was Biz by default. He knew the risks. As to getting points. If its not going to be DD or Kyle then that puts one of Scola/PPat/Carroll next in line. They are serviceable players just not exactly inspiring confidence that they have the wherewithall to take on that responsibility. No Ross as he was hurt. So in this particular scenario as it unfolded not sure where your going to get your offense from other than those two guys.

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          Second bold - against Cousins, Biyombo was having no greater success than Valanciunas was
                          Thanks for agreeing. It was either death by hanging or death by firing squad. Your choice. Biz or JV. Casey made his and initially the lead did move from 3 to 10. It didn't last though.

Third bold - a complete joke, based on perception/reputation instead of reality, per the 2 points above
                          I notice if you don’t like something its always OBVIOUSLY or your fall back A COMPLETE JOKE. Some people in your travels aren’t going to see it your way. Again it doesn’t make them wrong only that they differ from you. Obviously.

Fourth bold - proves the concerns related to the first point above
                          If you say so. It must be true then eh ?

Fifth bold - this is where our disagreement lies, if you think the strategy was sound; myself and others don't, largely due to the points above, which have unfortunately been proven right time and time again. It's not that a "plausible strategy" happened to fail, but rather that a poor strategy that was doomed to fail (unless hero-ball bailed it out), did fail.
                          Then it shall remain our disagreement in perpetuity. Its clear that your not changing your view (nor should you) and neither am I. You didn't like the strategy and I thought it was plausible under the specific circumstances.

So it ends ? Or do we grab the smelling salts for round 17 ?
                          - TGO

Comment

• @DS

Watch the Utah game?

Did you like how the Raptors went ISO and lost the game?

Ya that is on the coach for not teaching his players how to run an offense to perfection as a go-to in the clutch. ISO is the lazy man's coaching style

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                              Watch the Utah game?
                              Every minute. Just off suicide watch.

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                              Did you like how the Raptors went ISO and lost the game?
                              I never like it when they lose a game. They do what they have to do.
                              Over the last 3-4 game stretch there is not much dependability (save for that streak vs GSW) on anyone making anything from the outside in the way of 3 point shots. If thats not there and the defense is being packed in down low the going gets really tough. So the conundrum ... if its not happening on the perimeter and its one an done then you have to go inside. We aren't getting it done there either but going at the basket is always a higher percentage as you can get putbacks or fouls.

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                              Ya that is on the coach for not teaching his players how to run an offense to perfection as a go-to in the clutch. ISO is the lazy man's coaching style
                              Lots of shared culpability to go around.
                              We have always been looking for the equivalent of Mariano Rivera on our roster. Closest we had to a game ending closer was Vince.
                              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Nov 19, 2015, 06:27 PM.
                              - TGO

Comment

Good points... maybe it would be easier to be a coaching genius then if you had Steph Curry or Kevin Durant in the locker room. Not guaranteed but easier.
                                Not necessarily easier to be a genius in that scenario either, because the expectation is so much higher; i.e., NBA Finals, or the coach is messing things up. Bottom line is that coaches can and do put their players in positions to fail or at least not maximize their potential at every talent level (scrub, average or elite).

That's why some people are calling Brad Stevens a coaching genius. He's got a lineup of scrubs and average players, but he's got them playing smart basketball, way above the sum of parts and expected results. Not even borderline all-star talent on that roster. Also because he did the same thing on multiple occasions in college, with Butler.

Comment

Working...
                                X