Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axel wrote: View Post
    I have zero faith in Casey changing.

DD and KL could alter their games under a better coach but I do not believe that Casey can be that coach.

The record is fairly meaningless to me. All about establishing a style of play and habits that will be sustainable in the playoffs.
    Can I be an eternal optimist yet still want to ditch all three of them (and Biyombo)?

Or is that just my faith in Mu talking? lol

Comment

Did anyone catch the comment that Mark Cuban made about the East being better than the west. I do not agree but undoubtedly the east is getting way better as the young talent develops. It is going to be harder to win

Comment

rightsideup wrote: View Post
        Did anyone catch the comment that Mark Cuban made about the East being better than the west. I do not agree but undoubtedly the east is getting way better as the young talent develops. It is going to be harder to win
        I'm not sure if the east is better than the west, but there's no doubt that several teams appear to be much improved from last season, making the conference much more competitive:

- Miami
        - Detroit
        - Indy
        - Boston
        - Charlotte
        - Orlando
        - Milwaukee (when healthy)

With Cleveland, Chicago, Washington, Toronto and Atlanta all maintaining their playoff-caliber play from last season.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          I'm not sure if the east is better than the west, but there's no doubt that several teams appear to be much improved from last season, making the conference much more competitive:

- Miami
          - Detroit
          - Indy
          - Boston
          - Charlotte
          - Orlando
          - Milwaukee (when healthy)

With Cleveland, Chicago, Washington, Toronto and Atlanta all maintaining their playoff-caliber play from last season.
          W-Leont reflect the improvementsince teams are beating each other up. Biggest difference is Philly and BKN are the only "easy" win and BKN with Hollins wont be that easy

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post
            Has nothing to do with standing

Do anyone posting bout standings actually believe this teams plays like an upper echelon team?

I mean honestly ask yourself that

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
            Through 13 games what is clear is that this team can play like an upper echelon team on the defensive end. That is how this team was put together and they have shown flashes of being that elite defensive team. Our biggest problem has nothing to do with offense or hero ball or DD and Lowry or JV's usage, or shitty play calls. Our problem is inconsistent effort and performance at the defensive end. Our offense can be average (which given our roster is all I think we should expect) as long as we are elite defensively and over the last few games that hasn't been the case.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
              Through 13 games what is clear is that this team can play like an upper echelon team on the defensive end. That is how this team was put together and they have shown flashes of being that elite defensive team. Our biggest problem has nothing to do with offense or hero ball or DD and Lowry or JV's usage, or shitty play calls. Our problem is inconsistent effort and performance at the defensive end. Our offense can be average (which given our roster is all I think we should expect) as long as we are elite defensively and over the last few games that hasn't been the case.
              How can you say that after watching the horrendous offense we've witnessed the Raptors play over the last three games? Those losses had everything to do with an inefficient offense.

Comment

They are a good defensive team but not elite. Elite D requires a Gobert, Butler, Leonard etc. Demarre is very good but he isn't a great post defender but a very good perimeter defender. Other than him nobody is better than avg to a little above. Coupled with a terrible 4Q offense mean late the team gives up D to score a few points.

Comment

How can you say that after watching the horrendous offense we've witnessed the Raptors play over the last three games? Those losses had everything to do with an inefficient offense.
                  We gave up 115 points to the warriors and let the Jazz shoot 48.6% on us last night. If we are going to win that can't happen. This team does not have the pieces to be elite offensively but we could be very good defensively.

Don't get me wrong, the offense is painful to watch at times and needs to improve, but I'm way more concerned about the defense. This team was built to be good defensively and that needs to be our focus.

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                  They are a good defensive team but not elite. Elite D requires a Gobert, Butler, Leonard etc. Demarre is very good but he isn't a great post defender but a very good perimeter defender. Other than him nobody is better than avg to a little above. Coupled with a terrible 4Q offense mean late the team gives up D to score a few points.
                  I disagree, we have several guys on this team who are elite defenders at there positions (Lowry, Carrol, Joseph, Biyombo) and we have no one who is bad defensively . When this team is getting after it on defense they look like an elite team, the issues I keep seeing are guys getting lazy on rotations when we are losing and people whining about calls (ahem DD, JV) when they are supposed to be defending.
                  "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

We gave up 115 points to the warriors and let the Jazz shoot 48.6% on us last night. If we are going to win that can't happen. This team does not have the pieces to be elite offensively but we could be very good defensively.

Don't get me wrong, the offense is painful to watch at times and needs to improve, but I'm way more concerned about the defense. This team was built to be good defensively and that needs to be our focus.

I disagree, we have several guys on this team who are elite defenders at there positions (Lowry, Carrol, Joseph, Biyombo) and we have no one who is bad defensively . When this team is getting after it on defense they look like an elite team, the issues I keep seeing are guys getting lazy on rotations when we are losing and people whining about calls (ahem DD, JV) when they are supposed to be defending.
                    Biyombo and CoJo aren't starters. When CoJo plays with the starter the SF gets worse - Demar and post D and rebounding gets worse - Demarre. Elite D requires plus D at the rim and perimeter and someone on ball

Comment

Looking at the schedule up until this point, I think it's fair to say that there were 8 should-win, 3 iffy and 2 should-lose games, which would put the expected record somewhere in the 8-5 to 11-2 range.

It's not only the 7-6 record that is disappointing, but the fact that despite all the offseason rhetoric, the team seems to have reverted back to hero-ball. DeRozan and Lowry go back to their old ways when the going gets tough, JV has seen little increase in usage, and Carroll/Joseph appear to be making a slow transition to 'the Casey way' of playing basketball.

If the team manages to make the playoffs, I have a hard time seeing them be any more successful this season than they were the past two.

I didn't buy into the offseason hype, which is why my avatar is what it is. I was hoping to be wrong, but...
                      There was no offseason hype. Everyone around the league and even around here were looking at 44-46 wins. And, correct me if I'm wrong, you estimated the raps to win that much as well.

So i don't know how you are saying our winning percentage in the HARDest part of our season should actually be greater than 'expected' overall winning percentage at the end of the year?

Unless you consider this to be our hardest stretch, then by all means, ignore me
                      I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Biyombo and CoJo aren't starters. When CoJo plays with the starter the SF gets worse - Demar and post D and rebounding gets worse - Demarre. Elite D requires plus D at the rim and perimeter and someone on ball
                        I don't disagree with the COJO argument, I mentioned Joseph and BB more to show the depth we have defensively.

Among the starters, Carrol and Lowry are at among the best defenders at their positions in the league. Demar and Scola are both average to abave average. If we have a hole defensively right now, it's that JV is not an elite rim protector and I think he can get there by the end of this season, he had started to show improvement during our early win streak and I think he just needs consistency.

-Churchill

Comment

Also just a 1 game lead on 13th place (same number of losses), who have 2 games in-hand.
                          And all I'm getting out of that is that it is still early. Calm down everyone...

There's no way we are 13th worst in the league. The sky isn't falling, we are 13 games in
                          I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

I don't disagree with the COJO argument, I mentioned Joseph and BB more to show the depth we have defensively.

Among the starters, Carrol and Lowry are at among the best defenders at their positions in the league. Demar and Scola are both average to abave average. If we have a hole defensively right now, it's that JV is not an elite rim protector and I think he can get there by the end of this season, he had started to show improvement during our early win streak and I think he just needs consistency.
                            When Raps stay big, Scola gets exposed. He's fine in the post but slow on the perimeter and in the post he's just okay. Using JJ in the posts as a small ball PF works but that means CoJo sits. D suffer more because Demar isn't great at SF defensively but he has to play there to get CoJo on the floor.

Comment

When Raps stay big, Scola gets exposed. He's fine in the post but slow on the perimeter and in the post he's just okay. Using JJ in the posts as a small ball PF works but that means CoJo sits. D suffer more because Demar isn't great at SF defensively but he has to play there to get CoJo on the floor.
                              Agreed, there does seem to be a bit of a sacrifice being made because we want two point guards on in the fourth quarter. I'd be curious to know which line up is better defensively, our normal starters or the unit we usually finish games with.

Scola is all right, it would be nice to get someone with a bit more foot speed but I don't think it's holding us back that much so far.

-Churchill

Comment

Agreed, there does seem to be a bit of a sacrifice being made because we want two point guards on in the fourth quarter. I'd be curious to know which line up is better defensively, our normal starters or the unit we usually finish games with.

Scola is all right, it would be nice to get someone with a bit more foot speed but I don't think it's holding us back that much so far.
                                Always said KL + CoiJo + Demarre + PF + JV is the best closing lineup if they run PnR guard to JV or just feed the bigs. High FG% and slow place + good defense

Comment

Working...
                                X