X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Miami win - Miami is #3

Atlanta win & Miami loss - Atlanta is #3

I can't see Atlanta losing to Washington, so those are the only two scenarios that really interest me, in terms of the #3 seed.

The outcome for the #4, #5 and #6 seeds is much more murky, especially if Boston beats Miami (likely a 3-way tie for 4th).
    Yeah before opening this thread I thought it was as simple as this. Everyone else just confused the hell outta me. Pretty sure this is right tho.

Comment

• Lets get Atlanta out of the way. They are not going to risk being ended up on the Cleveland bracket so they are definitely going to spank the Wizards and secure the 3rd seat. That leaves..

BOS vs MIA
      If Boston and Charlotte win Boston will be 4th seat, Charlotte 5th seat, Miami 6th.
      If Boston loses and Charlotte wins Boston will be 4th seat Charlotte will be 5th seat, Charlotte will be 6th. wait what? ok im done. i dont know.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
        thanks. but if the Heat and Atlanta both lose, it creates a three way tie between Mia/Bos/Atl. The front page says Miami wins that tie and would be the 3rd seed
        We want Miami to lose and ATL to win tonight.

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
          Lets get Atlanta out of the way. They are not going to risk being ended up on the Cleveland bracket so they are definitely going to spank the Wizards and secure the 3rd seat. That leaves..

BOS vs MIA
          If Boston and Charlotte win Boston will be 4th seat, Charlotte 5th seat, Miami 6th.
          If Boston loses and Charlotte wins Boston will be 4th seat Charlotte will be 5th seat, Charlotte will be 6th. wait what? ok im done. i dont know.
          Atlanta doesn't secure 3rd with a win if Miami wins too. Miami has to lose.

Comment

• Here's what I've managed to piece together.

The mess of 3-6 is pretty impressive.

There are, as far as I can tell 5 different results that can happen, including a hilarious 4 way tie for 3rd.

If MIA wins and CHA wins (doesn’t matter what ATL does):
            MIA-ATL-CHA-BOS

If MIA wins and CHA loses (doesn’t matter what ATL does):
            MIA-ATL-BOS-CHA

If MIA loses and ATL and CHA win:
            ATL-BOS-CHA-MIA

If MIA and CHA lose and ATL wins:
            ATL-BOS-MIA-CHA

If MIA and ATL lose (doesn’t matter what CHA does):
            MIA-BOS-ATL-CHA

That last one includes the scenario where all 4 teams end up at 48 wins, and MIA wins the tiebreaker with ATL and CHA for the division title, thus breaking the overall tie in their favour and placing them third. This is where that division winner rule is funny – in two-way ties it got bumped down below head to head record for tiebreakers with the removal of division advantage. But in multiple team ties (3 or more), a division winner still gets first dibs on the tiebreak. So MIA wins the 4-team tiebreak because they win the 3-team tiebreak for the division, even though if they just did the head-to-head tiebreak among all 4 teams, BOS would win the tiebreak.

Yeesh.

Also, 7 of the 8 scenarios have MIA in our bracket, either in 3rd or 6th place, I think.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
              We want Miami to lose and ATL to win tonight.
              Not so simple. If Miami loses and Atlanta wins and Charlotte wins...the Heat will have backed themselves into the 6th seed which serves the same purpose as the 3rd seed

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                Here's what I've managed to piece together.....
                Also, 7 of the 8 scenarios have MIA in our bracket, either in 3rd or 6th place, I think.
                Without reposting the whole post...Ding! Ding! Ding! I think we have a winner (not surprisingly). It's a shame that the odds are stacked against us. It really comes down to the Miami Boston game. Atlanta should win and there may be a convincing argument for the Charlottes to lose. Losing gives them their best chance to avoid Miami in the first round and Cleveland in the second. I wonder if the teams are as worried about Miami as the rest of us. Time to check the Charlotte blogs..

Edit: here you go..

http://www.atthehive.com/2016/3/31/1...ets-3-6-vs-4-5

And this...

"STAY AT 6?! In my mind, the Hornets would be better off staying at No. 6 in the playoff seedings rather than moving into the No. 4 or No. 5 slot. The reasoning: If Charlotte was to win the 4-5 series, the Hornets would have to play LeBron and Cleveland in the second round. That's a very tall order.

If Charlotte stayed at No. 6 and happens to win the 3-6 series, however, the Hornets would likely end up playing No. 2 seed Toronto in the second round. Yes, the Hornets did finally beat LeBron this season to snap King James' personal six-year winning streak against the Charlotte franchise, but the Hornets match up more evenly with Toronto."

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/spo...#storylink=cpy
                Last edited by Jclaw; Wed Apr 13, 2016, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• Lots of possibilities as the NBA suits up for the last games of the regular season

Some observations.

The East will have all 8 teams above .500 with the 8th place team having a winning % around 530-540. The 5th place team in the West may be around 530. Wonder where all the talk about changing how the playoffs work is now. Lead proponent of this was Andrew Sharp. Andrew has been fired from Grantland, ESPN and now spews crap for Sports Illustrated. What a Dumbass.

The only team with less props and fanfare in the NBA media circles than the Raps heading into the East playoffs is Charlotte. This is a pretty good team. They play tough at home and with a win tonight have 30 wins on homecourt and they play good defense. Yet Matty Moore over at CBS has them below the Pacers to advance from their 1st round matchup in the East. For context. Matty had the Heat in 2nd and the Bulls in 3rd at the start of the year. Short antenna on that boy.

Houston has had more lives than a cat and simply has to beat the likely Boogie-less Kings at home to make it in. If they win they will play GSW in the playoffs. This year though its in the 1-8 matchup instead of the WCF.

Utah who had more chances to sew up a spot and has dropped the ball each time has to win at Staples against last game Kobe and hope Houston does the unthinkable and shits the bed at home vs the Kings. Utah likely misses and has all summer to figure out how the hell they missed putting the ball in the ocean from the beach.

And whatever happened to the Pelyturds ? A team on the rise. A potential western conference dark horse.

Settling the East 3 through 6[/B]

That the Heat have had to play all their geezers HARD minutes right up to the last game of the season and this has to hurt their chances tonight and going into the PO. How could it not ? Everyone else is resting their guys but the Heat play Wade and Deng and JJ 35-40 mins a night since the beginning of March. Yet not a word about that. Also not a word that due to injury they are playing two rookies (Winslow and Richardson) significant minutes. They limp into Boston on a back to back and Winslow (ankle sprain) is iffy and Udonis Haslam will not play tonight. Boston has to be pissed they dropped the ball to sew up home court when they lost to the Hornets. Think team plucky beats team geezer tonight. Tommy should be in fine form.

Atlanta who could wind up without homecourt with a loss tonight should step up and spank the Whiz as the best backcourt in the east rests tonight. Atlanta has also played all their guys all the way down to the wire to get homecourt. Odds are they don't eff up tonight.

Charlotte gets the Magic at home. Charlotte with a win tonight will have the 3rd best homecourt record in the East at 30 and 11.Yep. Better than the Hawks. Better than the Heat and better than the Celts. Charlotte gets it done again tonight.

So if those predictions actually come about...It will be Atlanta in 3 as the division winner and best record of the lot .. Boston 4 with the tiebreaker against the Buzz and Heat... Hornets in 5 as they are 3-3 vs the heat and celts and the Heat in 6th as they are 2 and 4.

If it doesn't turn out that way...we can just read the matchups tonight.

Be fun to watch Atlanta and Miami beat each others brains in in a 7 game series while we wait for them rested and ready to go in round 2.
                  There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                  - TGO

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    Here's what I've managed to piece together.

The mess of 3-6 is pretty impressive.

There are, as far as I can tell 5 different results that can happen, including a hilarious 4 way tie for 3rd.

If MIA wins and CHA wins (doesn’t matter what ATL does):
                    MIA-ATL-CHA-BOS

If MIA wins and CHA loses (doesn’t matter what ATL does):
                    MIA-ATL-BOS-CHA

If MIA loses and ATL and CHA win:
                    ATL-BOS-CHA-MIA

If MIA and CHA lose and ATL wins:
                    ATL-BOS-MIA-CHA

If MIA and ATL lose (doesn’t matter what CHA does):
                    MIA-BOS-ATL-CHA

That last one includes the scenario where all 4 teams end up at 48 wins, and MIA wins the tiebreaker with ATL and CHA for the division title, thus breaking the overall tie in their favour and placing them third. This is where that division winner rule is funny – in two-way ties it got bumped down below head to head record for tiebreakers with the removal of division advantage. But in multiple team ties (3 or more), a division winner still gets first dibs on the tiebreak. So MIA wins the 4-team tiebreak because they win the 3-team tiebreak for the division, even though if they just did the head-to-head tiebreak among all 4 teams, BOS would win the tiebreak.

Yeesh.

4 way tie it is.

Comment

• Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                      4 way tie it is.
                      Adam Silver is still figuring out how to set the seating.

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
                        Lets get Atlanta out of the way. They are not going to risk being ended up on the Cleveland bracket so they are definitely going to spank the Wizards and secure the 3rd seat. That leaves..

BOS vs MIA
                        Atlanta got spanked lol.

Comment

• 3-Miami 4 Atlanta 5 Boston 6 Charlotte.

Comment

• Come'on Hornets!!!!

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                              Atlanta got spanked lol.
                              Every. Single. One. Of my prediction tonight has been wrong. Complete disaster of an evening.

Comment

• Boston should be pissed about the division winner tie break. By head to head records, they should be third seed, not MIA.

Perhaps another rule change coming this summer?
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X