Who are the guys Ujiri doesn't love?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are the guys Ujiri doesn't love?

In many ways, Joseph is the signature signing of the Ujiri era. He combines several of the GM’s obsessions. The first is buying character on the relative cheap. Like so many modern executives, Ujiri gives public lip service to the analytics end of things, but still believes that you build a team on the right mix of personalities. He got rid of a bunch he didn’t like last year, and replaced them with players he did. Ujiri still has guys he doesn’t love, but tolerates for the sake of talent. Joseph is a hedge against that.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle27678620/

Pretty obvious who he didn't love last season.

But who does he tolerate this season?

Lowry? JV? DeRozan? JJ?

The easy answer is DeMar because most of his signings have been good WS/48 guys.. long, athletic, defense-first and can shoot from the outside. That's why I don't think he'll be back.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
      The easy answer is DeMar because most of his signings have been good WS/48 guys.. long, athletic, defense-first and can shoot from the outside. That's why I don't think he'll be back.
      I use to think along those lines.

I had a thread about Ujiri and the common trait of a high WS/48 all his signings had.

......and then the Ross extension happened and that theory was set out to pasture.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

Lowry? JV? DeRozan? JJ?
        Sounds like Cathal Kelly talking shit to me.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          the easy answer is demar because most of his signings have been good ws/48 guys.. Long, athletic, defense-first and can shoot from the outside. That's why i don't think he'll be back.
          trade

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
            Sounds like Cathal Kelly talking shit to me.

And there is that too.

Comment

And there is that too.
              I mean, "he got rid of a bunch he didn't like". Really?

I never really got the impression that anyone was a bad character guy. Even Lou and Vasquez and their chuck-fest ways still seemed pretty team-first in other aspects.

In fact I would say the most difficult personalities are still on this team (JJ, Lowry).

Comment

On Open Gym Masai was saying how hard it was to trade Vasquez and Cathal Kelly is saying opposite. Masai is probably pissed at Kelly lmao
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                  On Open Gym Masai was saying how hard it was to trade Vasquez and Cathal Kelly is saying opposite. Masai is probably pissed at Kelly lmao
                  Masai probably doesn't think about Cathal Kelly, like, ever.

Comment

I use to think along those lines.

I had a thread about Ujiri and the common trait of a high WS/48 all his signings had.

......and then the Ross extension happened and that theory was set out to pasture.
                    Don't worry. The Ross extension is just a stepping stone to Masai's master plan.

Comment

I would be most surprised if the portrayal of Masai just paying lip service to analytics has merit.

Apart from the investment in the analytics expertise gathered by MU in the f/o there are moves he has made including TRoss which seem to be analytics inspired. I say this because the eye test definitely does not support the extension (term & $). He has to believe that Ross has value on the trade front and beyond his occasional displays of potential. The question is how long does that value hold. There are also the future cap #s which mitigates the amounts. Didn't Vaz & Williams also have bad analytics #s?

That wasn't a particularly judicious thing to write in anycase unless someone actually told Kelly that (like Casey? )

MU doesn't give away much. I would say no one can really say what his true motivations are in any move unless blatant of course.

Comment

A.I wrote: View Post
                        Don't worry. The Ross extension is just a stepping stone to Masai's master plan.
                        Lets just say that we are all playing tic tac toe, while Masai is playing chess.

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                          Lets just say that we are all playing tic tac toe, while Masai is playing chess.

This type of chess

Comment

tonious35 wrote: View Post

This type of chess

i have one memory of this game. from the original batman series. bruce is playing dick and wins, of course. dick asks "how do you do it bruce?" "why it's simple. you just need to look 64 moves ahead." haha

Comment

Lowry? JV? DeRozan? JJ?
                              Zach Lowe's mentioned, on several different occasions over the past few years, that the Raptors aren't in love with JV.
                              "Stop eating your sushi."
                              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                              X