Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Managing Minutes - short term vs long term or short sightedness vs vision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    One thing to consider too is that its going to be hard to lower our top players minutes when Masai uses the last 5 spots on developmental players. Especially when injuries hit.

They went into detail about it in the last raptors republic podcast.
    Psst...Dwane...the bold is a clue for you...
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
      Psst...Dwane...the bold is a clue for you...
      Head coaches don't handle development. They have too much stuff to do on a day to day basis. That's why you have assistances. If you have a problem with development you should look at Stackhouse and Magloire.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Good post and good discussion. I think minutes per game is important for Lowry but total minutes are perhaps more important. For example resting Lowry tomorrow vs philly would make me a lot more comfortable with him playing 35 mins per game when he dresses. We don't tend to see a lot healthy scratches on the raps though. As others have posted this may be due to 2 starters being out with injuries.

That said caseys quote in the original post is spot on--monitoring lowrys minutes is important as the season progresses.

Comment

It's still early in the season. Most teams are still in top shape, fighting (hoping) to get themselves a playoff spot and we still need Lowry playing plenty of minutes. But if the game is a blow-out, then I see no reason for our key players to not be resting. I can see Lowry having reduced minutes mid-season, at least I hope he does.

Comment

Simply looking at minutes played without considering pace gives a skewed view. Raptors are a very slow paced team, 27th of 30.
            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
              Simply looking at minutes played without considering pace gives a skewed view. Raptors are a very slow paced team, 27th of 30.
              Very good point. That's hasn't been brought up yet.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Lowry isn't your traditional PG that looks for a pass first.. he drives hard to the rim and plays tough on defense. His weight loss will help, but if he's not healthy by the time the playoffs role around then the Raptors have no chance at all to get to the 2nd round. He's vital to the team's success.. it's just simple.

So if he plays hard now and gets injured we are screwed.

I'd prefer to have him have rest especially against easier teams (and there are plenty in this league).

So definitely don't agree with option 1. I like the two guard line up with CoJo.. so wouldn't necessarily cut back on that, but I definitely think Wright should get some burn. He needs some experience in the NBA (D League doesn't count), and now is the time to get it when the season is early and teams are still trying to figure sh!t out.. and it's not like they will definitely lose if Wright plays even 5-7 mpg. He was drafted as a senior for a reason.

I just don't understand why Wright has seen only 2.5mpg in 4 games. It's not like Wright is so raw that he can't be trusted. He's 23 fricken years old! Just so frustrating.

Comment

I really feel like if we aren't going to play Wright, we should've drafted someone younger. If you're just going to put them in the D-League, might as well draft a project player instead of a guy who's going to be pushing 25 before he gets regular run.
                  twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

The 2 PG lineup with Cujo allows Lowry to hang around the perimeter when Cujo does the ball handling. In fact Lowry also gets a break on O with DD who also does a lot of ball handling. And yeah, it's on D where Lowry can't pick his spots as to when to expend energy.

One other consideration - Raps style has a lot of play stoppages. Raptors take more FT's than almost any other team. They also give up slightly more than average FT's to opponents. All of these are breaks in play.

So to simply compare minutes to someone like John Wall, who is constantly the primary ball handler on a team with a fast pace, that doesn't foul much or get fouled much is simplistic.
                    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

The 2 PG lineup with Cujo allows Lowry to hang around the perimeter when Cujo does the ball handling. In fact Lowry also gets a break on O with DD who also does a lot of ball handling. And yeah, it's on D where Lowry can't pick his spots as to when to expend energy.

One other consideration - Raps style has a lot of play stoppages. Raptors take more FT's than almost any other team. They also give up slightly more than average FT's to opponents. All of these are breaks in play.

So to simply compare minutes to someone like John Wall, who is constantly the primary ball handler on a team with a fast pace, that doesn't foul much or get fouled much is simplistic.
                      They also start slow and have scores ng droughts. Lowry minutes aren't as much of an email issue as have heavily the Raptors rely on him to bail out the team. Its alot like Brown and Lebron in Cleveland

Comment

Axel..WOW!!!

Comment

Barolt wrote: View Post
                          I really feel like if we aren't going to play Wright, we should've drafted someone younger. If you're just going to put them in the D-League, might as well draft a project player instead of a guy who's going to be pushing 25 before he gets regular run.
                          Bobby Portis

Comment

The flip side to this, if there are a lot of stoppages, then sitting Lowry 2 mins of game time can get him 5-7 mins of real time rest.

I don't agree that Lowry gets to really rest in the 2 PG lineup. CoJo is doing a lot of the driving but Lowry is still moving to get open and our primary scoring option. Plus, he is now guarding a bigger player; which would be more physically demanding.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Head coaches don't handle development. They have too much stuff to do on a day to day basis. That's why you have assistances. If you have a problem with development you should look at Stackhouse and Magloire.
                              Head Coaches handle who gets on the court during games. Playing time is huge for development. That's on Casey.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

One thing to consider too is that its going to be hard to lower our top players minutes when Masai uses the last 5 spots on developmental players. Especially when injuries hit. .
                                Bruno is really the only one that fits that though.

Bebe can play; proven, no more debate.

Wright can play; unproven but senior PG was NBA ready as a prospect.

Bennett should be able to find a role in this league.

Unless you are counting James Johnson, not sure who makes up these 5 developmental spots?

Comment

Working...
                                X