Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Managing Minutes - short term vs long term or short sightedness vs vision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axel wrote: View Post
    Bruno is really the only one that fits that though.

Bebe can play; proven, no more debate.

Wright can play; unproven but senior PG was NBA ready as a prospect.

Bennett should be able to find a role in this league.

Unless you are counting James Johnson, not sure who makes up these 5 developmental spots?
    Powell, I guess. But he's been in and out of the rotation this season.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
      Powell, I guess. But he's been in and out of the rotation this season.
      Right, knew I was missing someone.

But still, disagree with the premise that we have 5 roster spots that can't contribute.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Right, knew I was missing someone.

But still, disagree with the premise that we have 5 roster spots that can't contribute.
        I'm not sure if he meant they can't contribute though, he just said it'd be harder to lower guys minutes if 5 spots are going to developmental players.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
          I'm not sure if he meant they can't contribute though, he just said it'd be harder to lower guys minutes if 5 spots are going to developmental players.
          Well if they can't impact minutes then clearly that means they can't play. Cause playing Powell/Wright 5-7 mins per game could impact KL/DD minutes.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Is that true though? Those bottom 5 spots are going to be pretty garbage players or they are going to be young players. Very few teams have real contributors in those 11-15 spots, at least no more capable of contributing than Nogueira is, for example.

In fact, you could argue the opposite - that these developmental players should be getting some nominal playing time for the good of the future of the organization, which essentially forces everyone else's minutes down, while a journeyman vet who is only there for injury insurance would not get any playing time at all unless necessary.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
              Is that true though? Those bottom 5 spots are going to be pretty garbage players or they are going to be young players. Very few teams have real contributors in those 11-15 spots, at least no more capable of contributing than Nogueira is, for example.

In fact, you could argue the opposite - that these developmental players should be getting some nominal playing time for the good of the future of the organization, which essentially forces everyone else's minutes down, while a journeyman vet who is only there for injury insurance would not get any playing time at all unless necessary.
              I wasn't agreeing with Christian.

I DO think guys like Delon, Bennett, Powell, etc can play in the NBA for short spurts and be effective. My concern is that the way Casey has us playing requires star performances for us to generate Ws. It may not seem like a lot but the dropoff from Lowry to Delon (which is massive, no offense to Delon but Lowry's playing like a superstar this season), even for just 5 minutes might be enough to take us out of a game.

It annoys me a lot that, that might even be true. I wish we could be the Spurs and only have Lowry (and DD for that matter) only going out there for 28mpg and still beat teams. But I just don't see how we have a system that allows for that. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I wasn't agreeing with Christian.

I DO think guys like Delon, Bennett, Powell, etc can play in the NBA for short spurts and be effective. My concern is that the way Casey has us playing requires star performances for us to generate Ws. It may not seem like a lot but the dropoff from Lowry to Delon (which is massive, no offense to Delon but Lowry's playing like a superstar this season), even for just 5 minutes might be enough to take us out of a game.

It annoys me a lot that, that might even be true. I wish we could be the Spurs and only have Lowry (and DD for that matter) only going out there for 28mpg and still beat teams. But I just don't see how we have a system that allows for that. Just my 2 cents.
                No one is calling for 28 mpg or even the Spurs 30mpg model though. 32mpg seems like a good target for Lowry.

Casey's one man offence system should actually allow for more bench guys. If the ball is in DD's hands for that stretch, all the bench guys have to do is hold their own defensively. Wright and Powell can do that.

Comment

Remember that a 2 min stretch (at a time) works out to be 6-8 possessions total (6 using 20 secs per possession), of which the Raps only get half.

Are we really thinking that DD or CoJo or Scola or JV can't handle 3 or 4 possessions with the youngsters on the court?

Comment

No one is calling for 28 mpg or even the Spurs 30mpg model though. 32mpg seems like a good target for Lowry.

Casey's one man offence system should actually allow for more bench guys. If the ball is in DD's hands for that stretch, all the bench guys have to do is hold their own defensively. Wright and Powell can do that.
                    DD going 1 v 5 for any kind of significant stretch is probably going to result in runs for the other team.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                      Lowry isn't your traditional PG that looks for a pass first.. he drives hard to the rim and plays tough on defense. His weight loss will help, but if he's not healthy by the time the playoffs role around then the Raptors have no chance at all to get to the 2nd round. He's vital to the team's success.. it's just simple.

So if he plays hard now and gets injured we are screwed.

I'd prefer to have him have rest especially against easier teams (and there are plenty in this league).

So definitely don't agree with option 1. I like the two guard line up with CoJo.. so wouldn't necessarily cut back on that, but I definitely think Wright should get some burn. He needs some experience in the NBA (D League doesn't count), and now is the time to get it when the season is early and teams are still trying to figure sh!t out.. and it's not like they will definitely lose if Wright plays even 5-7 mpg. He was drafted as a senior for a reason.

I just don't understand why Wright has seen only 2.5mpg in 4 games. It's not like Wright is so raw that he can't be trusted. He's 23 fricken years old! Just so frustrating.
                      +1. Surprised nobody mentioned this before. It's not just about raw minute totals. Lowry's 35MPG are "hard" minutes, compared to say, Steph Curry, or pretty much any other PG in the league. Lowry's playing style is extremely physical. He seeks out contact on both sides of the ball, yet he's barely 6-ft tall. He is top 10 in FTs, which is a huge part of his game.

That toughness is obviously something we all love, and has become the identity of the team under Masai, that he said was going to happen when he took over. But, there's a physical price to pay for that kind of style, and if the smallest guy on the court is leading that style, then you have to plan for it.

Comment

DD going 1 v 5 for any kind of significant stretch is probably going to result in runs for the other team.
                        Well there would still be 4 other guys on the court. So not really 1v5, just DD would be the focus but we could still have Carroll and Scola out there for example. Or CoJo/Bebe PnR.

Comment

None of those bench guys can spread the floor. This team right now has one consistent shooter(Lowry). We desperately need 3 point shooting right now. Playing 3 less minutes a game isn't going to make that huge of a difference. Especially when you already play the slowest pace.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Well there would still be 4 other guys on the court. So not really 1v5, just DD would be the focus but we could still have Carroll and Scola out there for example. Or CoJo/Bebe PnR.
                            Remember that a 2 min stretch (at a time) works out to be 6-8 possessions total (6 using 20 secs per possession), of which the Raps only get half.

Are we really thinking that DD or CoJo or Scola or JV can't handle 3 or 4 possessions with the youngsters on the court?
                            Carroll been in and out of the lineup all year. Plus JV and Carroll wont be back in till next month.
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Also forgot Bebe is always hurt too. 2 starters, 1 rotation player. All our shooters not named Lowry cant hit on a consistent basis. Until these things change its going to be hard to lower Lowry's minutes.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Lowry ranks 11th in total minutes played, but 26th in total distance covered. Don't disagree Lowry would be better served to have his minutes cut back, but minutes on the court aren't the be all and end all.
                                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Working...
                                X