Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Managing Minutes - short term vs long term or short sightedness vs vision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    None of those bench guys can spread the floor. This team right now has one consistent shooter(Lowry). We desperately need 3 point shooting right now. Playing 3 less minutes a game isn't going to make that huge of a difference. Especially when you already play the slowest pace.
    If Lowry is our only floor spacer then the team should be able to manage the lack of space as it wouldn't really be any different.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
      Lowry ranks 11th in total minutes played, but 26th in total distance covered. Don't disagree Lowry would be better served to have his minutes cut back, but minutes on the court aren't the be all and end all.
      He may not cover the most distance but his aggressive style would more than make up a lot of his wear and tear. Too bad they don't track how many times a player gets knocked on to the court. Between his charges and his drives to the rim, I would expect Lowry near the top of that list.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
        He may not cover the most distance but his aggressive style would more than make up a lot of his wear and tear. Too bad they don't track how many times a player gets knocked on to the court. Between his charges and his drives to the rim, I would expect Lowry near the top of that list.
        Cutting KL's minutes back 2 min per game would drop him from 12th to 36th in min/game. Proportionately he would take one less drive every 2nd game and take 2 less charges over the entire season.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
          Cutting KL's minutes back 2 min per game would drop him from 12th to 36th in min/game. Proportionately he would take one less drive every 2nd game and take 2 less charges over the entire season.
          4 or 5 mins per game is my preference actually. Timed in 2 mins intervals to minimize momentum swings.

I don't think the wear on his body is particularly measurable though. The fact that Pop, Spo and other coaches feel it's important is enough to convince me if its merit.

Comment

Trim Lowry's & Carroll's (when he's back) minutes.

Play JJ, Ross & CoJo more. In fact, play the 3 as a trio sometimes.
            Axel wrote:
            Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
            KeonClark wrote:
            We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
            KeonClark wrote:
            I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Cody73 wrote: View Post
              Trim Lowry's & Carroll's (when he's back) minutes.

Play JJ, Ross & CoJo more. In fact, play the 3 as a trio sometimes.
              Agreed. Hell play Powell and Wright 5-10 mins a game if you have to. Lowry and Carroll should not play 35-40 mins until the Playoffs.

Comment

Yeah. I think 32-34 would be ideal for both of them. I'd use CJ, JJ and TR much more. CJ is solid, TR seems to be coming into his own now, and JJ is well JJ.

Comment

Interesting vote results thus far on the poll. More of a split between using current guys in the rotation and using young guys than I expected.

Comment

Interesting vote results thus far on the poll. More of a split between using current guys in the rotation and using young guys than I expected.
                    I guess more so due to our injury situation. If we had a full healthy roster and had this situation with Lowry's minutes, the trend may be more towards using rotation guys. With Caroll and JV down, we should try out Powell at least.

PPat
                    JJ
                    Ross
                    Powell
                    CJ

That lineup would be very interesting for us to use.

Comment

mjt20mik wrote: View Post
                      I guess more so due to our injury situation. If we had a full healthy roster and had this situation with Lowry's minutes, the trend may be more towards using rotation guys. With Caroll and JV down, we should try out Powell at least.

PPat
                      JJ
                      Ross
                      Powell
                      CJ

That lineup would be very interesting for us to use.
                      They have had games against Lakers, Bucks and Sixers all that should allow the team to rest starters and give some run to young players.

Terrible game management means none of those things happen. Instead they need to hold on for dear life against awful teams. It's because so much if the offense requires guys to "step up" and create. It's easier to get up for GSW than the Bucks hence playing up or down.

If they had any sort of system it would come down to execution rather than "hero ball"

Comment

Well, tonight showed everything that's wrong with a Casey coached team. 3 shots in the first quarter by anyone except Lowry, DeRozan and Scola. Ross disengaged after that, because that's just who he is. 4th quarter, hero ball wins us the game because the 76ers are awful, but Lowry played 35 minutes and DeMar played 34 minutes. Our only hope for Lowry getting a night off this year is if he gets suspended for that stupid elbow on Noel.
                        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

I think it's a combination of both that I'd like to see, though I voted for option #2 as a higher priority.

I think there are several guys in the main 10-man rotation that could see more playing time, without hurting the team: JV, Scola, Patterson, Ross, JJ (could be increased big time).

I also think that the other guys - Bennett, Bebe, Bruno, Powell, Wright - could all see a few minutes per game, as they take turns shuffling between the Raptors and the 905. Just getting them some garbage-time burn would help to further reduce the need to play Lowry, DeRozan, Carroll and Joseph big minutes every game.

It's a bit of a domino effect of options #2 & #3.
                          Step 1: more meaningful time 2nd unit players (and JV)
                          Step 2: more garbage time for 3rd unit players
                          Step 3: reduced playing time for 4 heavy-use starters

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                            I think it's a combination of both that I'd like to see, though I voted for option #2 as a higher priority.

I think there are several guys in the main 10-man rotation that could see more playing time, without hurting the team: JV, Scola, Patterson, Ross, JJ (could be increased big time).

I also think that the other guys - Bennett, Bebe, Bruno, Powell, Wright - could all see a few minutes per game, as they take turns shuffling between the Raptors and the 905. Just getting them some garbage-time burn would help to further reduce the need to play Lowry, DeRozan, Carroll and Joseph big minutes every game.

It's a bit of a domino effect of options #2 & #3.
                            Step 1: more meaningful time 2nd unit players (and JV)
                            Step 2: more garbage time for 3rd unit players
                            Step 3: reduced playing time for 4 heavy-use starters
                            Except right now they are a 9-man rotation and only if Bebe is healthy. That's just the reality of injuries and having a bunch of guys who are projects filling out the bench.

You can't really play guys for a couple minutes per half. That's not feasible. If they're going to expand the rotation then you pick a guy (say Powell) and throw him out there for ~13-15 minutes.

And, look, it would also help if Ross could stay on the floor. If he plays better, and Carroll gets healthy, that should alleviate some of the pressure on DD and Lowry.

Comment

Bottom line.
                              You need a bench and you have to have confidence in WHAT YOU'RE PLANNING AS A COACH.
                              Then you will see the results as time goes by; but if you have zero confidence in your bench, then you will overwork your starters and crash somewhere along the 2nd round (IF YOU'RE LUCKY).

THE KEY WORD = PLANNING.

What is Casey's plan? for the offense? for the bench ? What's the strategy?

I know we are #8 in ortg, but that brand of basketball is very hard on the body. I post somewhere else, that I'm under the impression that we WORK extremely hard for almost every buckets and by WE I mean DD and Kyle.

Donovan has his critics, even I thought WTF he was doing, but looking back it makes sense.
                              You cannot trade 5 players and replace them. YOU HAVE TO MAKE WITH WHAT YOU HAVE and if it is Dion Waiters and Enes Kanter, them you make the best of it and play them and coach them UNTIL they can be helpful to the team.
                              Last edited by distorsun; Tue Dec 15, 2015, 01:00 PM.

Comment

distorsun wrote: View Post
                                Bottom line.
                                You need a bench and you have to have confidence in WHAT YOU'RE PLANNING AS A COACH.
                                Then you will see the results as time goes by; but if you have zero confidence in your bench, then you will overwork your starters and crash somewhere along the 2nd round (IF YOU'RE LUCKY).

THE KEY WORD = PLANNING.

What is Casey's plan? for the offense? for the bench ? What's the strategy?

I know we are #8 in ortg, but that brand of basketball is very hard on the body. I post somewhere else, that I'm under the impression that we WORK extremely hard for almost every buckets and by WE I mean DD and Kyle.

Donovan has his critics, even I thought WTF he was doing, but looking back it makes sense.
                                You cannot trade 5 players and replace them. YOU HAVE TO MAKE WITH WHAT YOU HAVE and if it is Dion Waiters and Enes Kanter, them you make the best of it and play them and coach them UNTIL they can be helpful to the team.
                                The heroic effort to score is almost comical at times.

A typical sequence last night: Indy comes down the court and PG fakes the drive. He kicks out and then it's 2 quick passes around the horn for the open corner 3, finding the shooter in rhythm. Bam! Barely broke a sweat. That corner 3 was clearly the first option and the shooter was squared and ready to shoot as soon as the ball hit his hands.

Then Lowry comes down with the ball with zero intention to pass whatsoever. His drive gets cut off and he flings his body into a defender with his body facing the sidelines and the ball still in his hands. While in the air, Lowry twists towards the basket and desperately tosses the ball wildly in the general direction of the basket, missing badly. Lowry comes crashing down to the floor. Luckily he gets the call and a couple FTs. Because no shot was taken, Lowry and team ORTG looks extremely good.
                                Last edited by golden; Tue Dec 15, 2015, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X