Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Managing Minutes - short term vs long term or short sightedness vs vision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's the problem we have now because of the way Casey manages minutes. JJ went from not playing to starting because Carroll went down. Now JJ went down, and we need Norman Powell, who has played a total of 100 NBA minutes to start and play 20+ minutes a night. Imagine what happens if Lowry re-injures his wrist and we suddenly need 20 minutes a night from Wright? Wouldn't it be better if he already had some NBA game experience?
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• I really don't think Lowry got hurt/burned out last year because of playing time, he played less minutes per game than he did the year before.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
        Clinching things and then resting/taking the foot of the pedal is what happened last year. I would prefer they start spreading the minutes around and as a result lose some separation if it will keep their focus and compete levels high. This is pretty much the same group that coasted and thought they could turn it on in the playoffs. Even if they were physically healthy that's not a healthy attitude for success.
        except they were still on vacation in the playoffs. They didn't even step up at all.

Comment

• peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
          except they were still on vacation in the playoffs. They didn't even step up at all.
          Exactly my point. If they are forced to finish the year strong and compete for a more favourable seed, that may help their play in the playoffs.
          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
            Exactly my point. If they are forced to finish the year strong and compete for a more favourable seed, that may help their play in the playoffs.
            so then don't rest anyone, the fact that they didn't step up in the playoffs is more attitude than conditioning.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
              I really don't think Lowry got hurt/burned out last year because of playing time, he played less minutes per game than he did the year before.
              How many times have you posted these exact words in this thread now?
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I really don't think Lowry got hurt/burned out last year because of playing time, he played less minutes per game than he did the year before.
                You've brought this up a few times now, and I took it for truth (and it technically is) but it is only true because his minutes fell off big time after he got hurt the first time. In December and January, his minutes were up at about 36 MPG, about the same as what he averaged the year before.

I think the high minutes combined with the higher usage to cause the issues. And his usage this year is higher than last year. We either have to reduce his usage or his minutes, and only one is directly controllable.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                  How many times have you posted these exact words in this thread now?
                  34.5mpg in 2014-15

36.2mpg in 2013-14

Comment

• Lowry played a lot of minutes (39.0) in January but his usage actually dropped from 28.0% to 24.5%

Comment

Lowry played a lot of minutes (39.0) in January but his usage actually dropped from 28.0% to 24.5%
                      The unfortunate context there is that 24.5% would be Lowry's highest USG ever if not for last season (the one that broke him), by about 2 solid percentage points.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Damn ... Lowry's minutes are about to go up again. As an interview with Casey from today stated, he said:

We’ve got to get his minutes down. Last night he was up to [42] minutes and we probably have to get him out sooner because we’re getting caught when there’s no stoppage in play, and we have a guy at the scorer’s table and there goes another minute. Those extra couple minutes add up over a period of the game and now he’s at [42] when really he should be at 36, 35 minutes.
                        Edit: Just realized this exact quote is on the main page/interview/topic is on the main page as well.
                        "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                        "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• According to Casey he SHOULD be at 35-36 minutes every game? Jesus. I'd like to see him at 32 or so for the rest of the regular season.
                          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                            According to Casey he SHOULD be at 35-36 minutes every game? Jesus. I'd like to see him at 32 or so for the rest of the regular season.
                            It's going up. Quote me on that.

This is the third time this season he's said something along these lines and after each of those times, his minutes actually went up.
                            "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                            "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                              It's going up. Quote me on that.

This is the third time this season he's said something along these lines and after each of those times, his minutes actually went up.
                              If it goes up any higher he's playing the whole game
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                                According to Casey he SHOULD be at 35-36 minutes every game? Jesus. I'd like to see him at 32 or so for the rest of the regular season.
                                What? He's the key guy on the team. Virtually every key guy is playing ~35MPG. Raps aren't the Spurs. They don't have a margin of error large enough to afford them the luxury of sitting Lowry for over a quarter of game time.

Comment

Working...
                                X