Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Managing Minutes - short term vs long term or short sightedness vs vision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tDotted wrote: View Post
    Still trying to figure out why playoff seeding even matters. We've lost in the first round to a lower seed consecutive seasons.
    Part of me actually thinks being a lower seed would warrant less pressure going into the 1st round. This team plays looser as an underdog.

Comment

• From the front page:

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2016/...ng-kyle-lowry/

(moved this here instead of the old game thread)
      Last edited by Axel; Wed Mar 30, 2016, 01:42 PM.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
        From the front page:

That's a good article - I really liked the section where they roll through minutes, then minutes and usage, and then minutes and usage and contact rates to show just how dramatic the overworking of our guards is. Yeesh.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

From the front page:

As an FYI, I took all the discussion about Lowry's injury and possible treatment options from the 2 most recent game threads, and created an "Everything Kyle Lowry's Elbow" thread. Keep the craziness contained! lol

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            As an FYI, I took all the discussion about Lowry's injury and possible treatment options from the 2 most recent game threads, and created an "Everything Kyle Lowry's Elbow" thread. Keep the craziness contained! lol
            Nicely done. Saw your lurking in the old game thread, thought you might be up to something. I'll leave this link here for now, but perhaps I'll link the post in your newly created thread.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              That's a good article - I really liked the section where they roll through minutes, then minutes and usage, and then minutes and usage and contact rates to show just how dramatic the overworking of our guards is. Yeesh.
              It's not a happy read, but a good one for sure. Still baffling that his minutes have gone up since getting hurt.

Comment

It's not a happy read, but a good one for sure. Still baffling that his minutes have gone up since getting hurt.
                It begs a lot of questions about the organizational priorities. And, as much as I love Masai, you have to wonder why he didn't step in and stop the madness.
                twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                  It begs a lot of questions about the organizational priorities. And, as much as I love Masai, you have to wonder why he didn't step in and stop the madness.
                  We asked the same thing when Casey came back lol

Masai is great, but he isn't perfect. Would love to hear his honest opinion on things, but we can see the elbow, the event that caused the injury, the minutes, and the shooting %s - that is enough to paint a not so lovely picture.

Comment

We asked the same thing when Casey came back lol

Masai is great, but he isn't perfect. Would love to hear his honest opinion on things, but we can see the elbow, the event that caused the injury, the minutes, and the shooting %s - that is enough to paint a not so lovely picture.
                    I'm more concerned by Casey's recent quotes which, to paraphrase, basically suggest that at this time of year players just need to suck it up and deal with injuries. I get that players get banged up throughout the season, but an injury like Lowry's elbow is not the same as bumps, bruises and nicks.

When a team invests so much money in players, the long-term ramifications need to be given greater consideration. However, given that Casey is essentially coaching for his job, which MU has publically stated is dependent on the team's performance in the playoffs, is it impossible to consider that what's in Casey's best interest could very well be at odds with what's in the player's/team's long-term best interest?

Comment

I'm more concerned by Casey's recent quotes which, to paraphrase, basically suggest that at this time of year players just need to suck it up and deal with injuries. I get that players get banged up throughout the season, but an injury like Lowry's elbow is not the same as bumps, bruises and nicks.

When a team invests so much money in players, the long-term ramifications need to be given greater consideration. However, given that Casey is essentially coaching for his job, which MU has publically stated is dependent on the team's performance in the playoffs, is it impossible to consider that what's in Casey's best interest could very well be at odds with what's in the player's/team's long-term best interest?
                      It all comes back to not firing him last summer.

Your coach needs to be your guy, regardless of results. Either he's a good coach or he isn't.

Bringing back a coach you aren't confident in contingent on results is just asking for him to put his needs ahead of the needs of the organization, and that's what we've seen.
                      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                        It begs a lot of questions about the organizational priorities.
                        Such as.....?

Comment

It certainly is something to consider. For all the privacy that Masai has employed over this team, the Casey-Playoff referendum has been the one thing he's most public with (that and F*ck Brooklyn/Pierce), and it could be the one thing to bite him in the backside.

That is why one would hope that the decision is not taken lightly. I'll all for GM's letting the coach do the coaches job, but long-term concerns like this should likely be the GMs call - with coach, doctors, trainers, player input/recommendation.

Comment

• Casey hasn't said anything like what CRF insinuated.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                              Casey hasn't said anything like what CRF insinuated.
                              I was sure that I either read an article this morning or saw a reporter's Tweet, which had a quote to that effect from Casey. I know Lowry definitely said that, but I thought Casey had said something similar as well, about needing to just play through it at this time of year.

Comment

I was sure that I either read an article this morning or saw a reporter's Tweet, which had a quote to that effect from Casey. I know Lowry definitely said that, but I thought Casey had said something similar as well, about needing to just play through it at this time of year.
                                If you don't mind could you maybe repost that, because I haven't seen anything from him that insinuates what you said.

Comment

Working...
                                X