Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Managing Minutes - short term vs long term or short sightedness vs vision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JWash wrote: View Post
    If you don't mind could you maybe repost that, because I haven't seen anything from him that insinuates what you said.
    LINK: http://www.tsn.ca/lowry-s-status-unc...turns-1.461612

The quote:

"It's definitely something I don't want to play with and I don't like playing with, but it is what it is. This time of year you just play through it," Lowry said after Monday's game

This is the exact time and place for somebody from the Raptors' medical and/or training staff to jump in and tell Kyle that no, this is the exact type of injury that you shouldn't try to simply play through.

Comment

• That is a ridiculous quote CRF. You don't play with the injury if you don't have to, and these last 9 games don't matter.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

The quote:

This is the exact time and place for somebody from the Raptors' medical and/or training staff to jump in and tell Kyle that no, this is the exact type of injury that you shouldn't try to simply play through.
        Can write it off as a remnant of old-world, warrior mentality. Those who play through injuries are deemed "tough" and branded as "leaders". It's a quote from every football movie Hollywood has produced, lol.

But doesn't mesh well with an evidence-based approach

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
          That is a ridiculous quote CRF. You don't play with the injury if you don't have to, and these last 9 games don't matter.
          I've been one of the most vocal posters about that very point in the thread about Lowry's injury, agreeing with you 100%. Since the injury, Lowry should have been resting - no games, no practice, no shooting, no doing anything that requires that elbow.

What I don't agree with is the idea that the injury absolutely would have been avoided by playing Lowry a few less minutes per game, which in and of itself I've also been a vocal proponent of throughout the season (playing Lowry, DeRozan and others fewer minutes each game).

There are two mutually exclusive issues being debated across the two threads.

Comment

The quote:

This isn't what a asked you for.

CalgaryRapsFan wrote:
            I'm more concerned by Casey's recent quotes which, to paraphrase, basically suggest that at this time of year players just need to suck it up and deal with injuries.
            This is what I want to see a quotation of.

Comment

This isn't what a asked you for.

This is what I want to see a quotation of.
              Huh?

I didn't ask for anything, you did.

I already replied to you once, stating that I might have been mistaken about attributing the quote to Casey. I said Lowry definitely made such a statement though, and then you asked to see the statement, which I provided the link for.

Comment

Huh?

I didn't ask for anything, you did.

I already replied to you once, stating that I might have been mistaken about attributing the quote to Casey. I said Lowry definitely made such a statement though, and then you asked to see the statement, which I provided the link for.
                No... I made a point that Casey didn't say what you asserted he said and asked you to provide a quote. Then you quoted Lowry. That's not what I asked for...

Comment

No... I made a point that Casey didn't say what you asserted he said and asked you to provide a quote. Then you quoted Lowry. That's not what I asked for...
                  Go back and re-read. I said I thought it was Casey, but maybe not, but that Lowry definitely did.

I got my quotes mixed up. Here is the one from Dr. Casey that I had read, which shows how little he apparently knows about the injury.

Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Mar 30, 2016, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• I'm gonna have to learn more about Bursitis, because I'm not with Casey on this one right now. If a guys is hurt, heal him, period, you need him hitting shots. Casey is insane of he thinks otherwise.

Comment

Go back and re-read. I said I thought it was Casey, but maybe not, but that Lowry definitely did.

I got my quotes mixed up. Here is the one from Dr. Casey that I had read, which shows how little he apparently knows about the injury.

I guess Casey must miss busting out his ol' "we missed shots we normally make" excuse.

There's no reason to shut a guy down who is shooting: 23.9 FG%, 19.2 3P% and 54.2 FT% since March 23rd? Really?

This is post-"what's he struggling with?" but pre-"it's just a slump" for Kyle. And since Scola is still starting...
                      Last edited by Mess; Wed Mar 30, 2016, 05:25 PM.
                      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

I've been one of the most vocal posters about that very point in the thread about Lowry's injury, agreeing with you 100%. Since the injury, Lowry should have been resting - no games, no practice, no shooting, no doing anything that requires that elbow.

What I don't agree with is the idea that the injury absolutely would have been avoided by playing Lowry a few less minutes per game, which in and of itself I've also been a vocal proponent of throughout the season (playing Lowry, DeRozan and others fewer minutes each game).

There are two mutually exclusive issues being debated across the two threads.
                        I don't think this injury in particular would have been prevented with minute reduction but overall, I stand by the practice of managing the minutes for players to help reduce the risk of injuries and develop the young guys.

If Lowry is ineffective (or out) in the playoffs, it would be nice to know that Wright is comfortable stepping in and playing a key role.

Wanted to add this link here that I shared in the Kyle Lowry's Elbow thread
                        http://www.sloansportsconference.com/?p=17515
                        Last edited by Axel; Fri Apr 1, 2016, 12:40 PM.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                          I'm gonna have to learn more about Bursitis, because I'm not with Casey on this one right now. If a guys is hurt, heal him, period, you need him hitting shots. Casey is insane of he thinks otherwise.
                          Thought this was a good time to bring back this thread as, win or lose Game 7, I do think we've got ourselves an answer.

Plus; this specific post turned out to be REALLY prophetic.

Specifically because I'd still feel confident in Game 7 with Lowry if there wasn't all that actual hard evidence against KLOE bailing us out if needed since the second Orlando injury.
                          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• So...

Minutes per game leaders, 2016-17:

1. Kyle Lowry • TOR 38.7
                            2. Harrison Barnes • DAL 38.1
                            3. DeMar DeRozan • TOR 36.9
                            4. Wesley Matthews • DAL 36.9
                            5. James Harden • HOU 36.7
                            6. Anthony Davis • NOP 36.6
                            7. Andrew Wiggins • MIN 36.3
                            8. Danilo Gallinari • DEN 36.2
                            9. LeBron James • CLE 36.2
                            10. Avery Bradley • BOS 35.7

Worth noting Dallas has been wracked with injuries, forcing a ton of minutes on Barnes/Matthews.
                            Harden and Davis are carrying their teams, neither of which have much depth.
                            LeBron has already taken a rest day.

Meanwhile our 30-turning-31 year old point guard is playing almost 10% more minutes per game than the 10th-most played player in the NBA (who is five years younger). And our only major injury is up front.

Sometimes I have no idea what we're doing.

Comment

• I think lowry's gonna die by February.
                              "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                                So...

Minutes per game leaders, 2016-17:

1. Kyle Lowry • TOR 38.7
                                2. Harrison Barnes • DAL 38.1
                                3. DeMar DeRozan • TOR 36.9
                                4. Wesley Matthews • DAL 36.9
                                5. James Harden • HOU 36.7
                                6. Anthony Davis • NOP 36.6
                                7. Andrew Wiggins • MIN 36.3
                                8. Danilo Gallinari • DEN 36.2
                                9. LeBron James • CLE 36.2
                                10. Avery Bradley • BOS 35.7

Worth noting Dallas has been wracked with injuries, forcing a ton of minutes on Barnes/Matthews.
                                Harden and Davis are carrying their teams, neither of which have much depth.
                                LeBron has already taken a rest day.

Meanwhile our 30-turning-31 year old point guard is playing almost 10% more minutes per game than the 10th-most played player in the NBA (who is five years younger). And our only major injury is up front.

Sometimes I have no idea what we're doing.
                                Anyone who has been expecting Lowry to get lowered minutes is just dreaming.
                                "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                                "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Working...
                                X