Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game #31: Toronto Raptors 111 - Milwaukee Bucks 90

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
    Demo didn't coin the phrase ... and doesn't speak for me on this point.

    I found it simply most convenient not to have to try to explain, in detail or at any length, why a win against the Spurs or OKC is a good thing. It was not used by me (or by Slaw - I still remember his first use of it) as an "irritant".

    If anything, in fact (sorry, Demo), I'm irritated by Demo's most inconvenient claim/suggestion that it has been used thus ...
    Really doesn't matter. #FakeWin or any other fake win posts need to stop (both sides).
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

    If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

    Comment


    • Axel wrote: View Post
      Really doesn't matter. #FakeWin or any other fake win posts need to stop (both sides).
      what's the "other side"?

      Comment


      • Axel wrote: View Post
        Really doesn't matter. #FakeWin or any other fake win posts need to stop (both sides).
        If the Raptor beat a team shooting 70% from three its a fake win just like when they can't hit any open shots. It's just something that happens over 82 games. The only reason to go through a regular season is to adjust going into the playoff. if 2Pats and DC struggle all season, then TRoss might have to play a much bigger role. If Scola keeps getting burned on the perimeter then adjustments need to be made. It's a fake win if it doesn't help in the playoffs. Raptors won't be facing the Bucks terrible defense or the Sixer complete lack of any offense

        Comment


        • Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
          what's the "other side"?
          Whether it's someone posting after a game that it was a fake win or its someone like DS who's sole purpose of using it is to irritate people who don't think "a win is a win".

          People can debate the value of a win with well reasoned posts, but seen too many using the term "fake win" or #fakewin for no purpose beyond baiting (you have been guilty of this) other posters. It's to stop.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

          If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

          Comment


          • Axel wrote: View Post
            Whether it's someone posting after a game that it was a fake win or its someone like DS who's sole purpose of using it is to irritate people who don't think "a win is a win".

            People can debate the value of a win with well reasoned posts, but seen too many using the term "fake win" or #fakewin for no purpose beyond baiting (you have been guilty of this) other posters. It's to stop.
            Raptors aren't the Magic or Jazz trying to establish some respectability, two consecutive first round exits means a meaningless regular season. Unless they get past a team in the first round winning 60 games is pointless.

            Comment


            • raptors999 wrote: View Post
              Raptors aren't the Magic or Jazz trying to establish some respectability, two consecutive first round exits means a meaningless regular season. Unless they get past a team in the first round winning 60 games is pointless.
              Not pointless. All games have a point, it's just that some have more bearing on our playoff chances than others. Context matters.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

              If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

              Comment


              • Axel wrote: View Post
                Not pointless. All games have a point, it's just that some have more bearing on our playoff chances than others. Context matters.
                Beating the Bucks isn't useful unless they use it to develop Bennett and Wright. KL and Derozan shouldn't need to play 35+ to beat the Sixers.

                Comment


                • raptors999 wrote: View Post
                  Beating the Bucks isn't useful unless they use it to develop Bennett and Wright. KL and Derozan shouldn't need to play 35+ to beat the Sixers.
                  Yes but useless isn't the same as pointless.

                  The point from beating the Sixers the way we did is that it demonstrates some serious flaws in the team's reliance on two players for offence. That is important information when trying to determine how well positioned this team is for playoff success (the ultimate barometer for this season).

                  The use of beating the Sixers the way we did would be negligible. Opportunity lost if you will.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                  If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                  Comment


                  • Axel wrote: View Post
                    Whether it's someone posting after a game that it was a fake win or its someone like DS who's sole purpose of using it is to irritate people who don't think "a win is a win".

                    People can debate the value of a win with well reasoned posts, but seen too many using the term "fake win" or #fakewin for no purpose beyond baiting (you have been guilty of this) other posters. It's to stop.
                    Be we do discuss all coaching matters under the #FireCasey headline, right?

                    (Though as I'm pretty sure you're no Casey fan yourself, might be hard for you see how these things are similar ...)

                    Still, given the popularity of the general expression (i.e. #ProveEm) it's a hard place to draw a line, wouldn't you say?

                    Comment


                    • Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                      Be we do discuss all coaching matters under the #FireCasey headline, right?

                      (Though as I'm pretty sure you're no Casey fan yourself, might be hard for you see how these things are similar ...)

                      Still, given the popularity of the general expression (i.e. #ProveEm) it's a hard place to draw a line, wouldn't you say?
                      Not really. Some uses are blatant baiting and don't really even attempt to discuss merits.

                      See:

                      Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                      Soooooo nice of them, right? They're swell!

                      #FakeWin
                      This would be considered baiting. This is what we are trying to avoid. Same as we are trying to cut down on people saying "fanboy" or "fake fan".

                      #ProveEm is little different since it was coined by Demar himself.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                      If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                      Comment


                      • Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                        So another fake win then ? Not on the floor defensively ?
                        Keyshawn voiceover says Common man...

                        First game back from a Christmas break when all bets are off as its very possible that not everyone is tuned in mentally from the holiday break. They were on the road. They were still down their number 1 centre and its their best perimeter defender's first game back after knee and foot trouble. They get a lead .. hold it to the half.. then the Bucks as so many NBA teams do on a nightly basis mount a comeback to pull ahead in the 3rd going to the 4th. So what happens... Do they collapse ? No...they find another gear in the 4th quarter and they quite literally kick the snot/crap/shit out the Bucks. They left them for dead on the side of the road. A thorough ass kicking.

                        As for the thought "considering the opponent". These are the same Bucks the preseason returns had finishing top 4 in the East. They feature a personal favourite of many Republicans the great greek freak. They have the second overall pick in a loaded draft in Parker and a reputational allstar in Greg Monroe. They have Khris Middleton which many Republicans would trade that bum Demar for in a New York minute cuz he and his game are just so much better than Demars . They have length on defense with guys like Henson that conventional Republican wisdom says gives the Raps trouble. They have a coach that isn't named Casey.

                        Hard to see with all those advantages the Bucks have over the Raps coupled with home court after the Christmas break you almost summarily dismiss the effort....
                        I had the Bucks down to suck since the summer, so I put very little stock in whatever flavour of the month analysis was predicting good things from the Bucks in preseason.

                        Simple story. They played one of the worst teams in the league, and they won. I didn't say anything about it being a close game through three Q's, which is embarrassing, because of all those factors. But they won, good. There's just nothing besides the win to take from this. At no point did I utter the words fake win - pretty sure I literally never have - that was you, and I really don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth.

                        Would you be excited over the Raptors' ability to pull away in the 4th Q against the 76ers? If not, then clearly context is needed for evaluating games and results. Would a 10 point loss to the Warriors and to the 76ers represent the same thing? A win is a win and a loss is a loss, but if you are looking for analysis that goes beyond "well, we won" you need that context. And the simple reality is that the context of the Bucks is that they are really bad, and winning against this team (no matter the execution, however poor through three Q's or pretty through the final Q) needs to be taken for what it is - essentially a given if you don't completely crap the bed. So congrats to the Raptors on not crapping the bed - but again, I'm not taking anything more than that from the game.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

                        Comment


                        • How can you not see how "#FireCasey" could be just as - or more - routinely irritating to some?

                          Or, in this day and age, ban just one Hash-tag line because it might irritate people who want to argue that a team win isn't to be fully enjoyed.

                          That's not impartial. It's absurd.
                          Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Sun Dec 27, 2015, 09:35 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                            How can you not see how "#FireCasey" could be just as - or more - routinely irritating to some?

                            Or, in this day and age, ban just one Hash-tag line because it might irritate people who want to argue that a team win isn't to be fully enjoyed.

                            That's not impartial. It's absurd.
                            +1

                            Comment


                            • Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                              How can you not see how "#FireCasey" could be just as - or more - routinely irritating to some?

                              Or, in this day and age, ban just one Hash-tag line because it might irritate people who want to argue that a team win isn't to be fully enjoyed.

                              That's not impartial. It's absurd.
                              Baiting someone with #FakeWin as you did, is not remotely the same thing as wanting Casey to get fired. One is an expression of dislike for the coach (legit topic to post about) and one is used solely for the purpose of being inflammatory and baiting other users (both against forum rules). It's really not difficult to figure out when someone is posting on a legit topic and when someone is just trolling. One can disagree with #FireCasey all they want, it's not a personal attack of them. Trolling with #FakeWin when someone expresses an area of concern after a win is not a legit post and serves no purpose.

                              But your concern is duly noted. Now kindly stop baiting people with it.
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                              If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                              Comment


                              • DanH wrote: View Post
                                I had the Bucks down to suck since the summer, so I put very little stock in whatever flavour of the month analysis was predicting good things from the Bucks in preseason.

                                Simple story. They played one of the worst teams in the league, and they won. I didn't say anything about it being a close game through three Q's, which is embarrassing, because of all those factors. But they won, good. There's just nothing besides the win to take from this. At no point did I utter the words fake win - pretty sure I literally never have - that was you, and I really don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth.

                                Would you be excited over the Raptors' ability to pull away in the 4th Q against the 76ers? If not, then clearly context is needed for evaluating games and results. Would a 10 point loss to the Warriors and to the 76ers represent the same thing? A win is a win and a loss is a loss, but if you are looking for analysis that goes beyond "well, we won" you need that context. And the simple reality is that the context of the Bucks is that they are really bad, and winning against this team (no matter the execution, however poor through three Q's or pretty through the final Q) needs to be taken for what it is - essentially a given if you don't completely crap the bed. So congrats to the Raptors on not crapping the bed - but again, I'm not taking anything more than that from the game.
                                Your are correct. You never said fake win. You said ""but hard to take much from one game, especially considering the opponent. Followed up by this one " So congrats to the Raptors on not crapping the bed - but again, I'm not taking anything more than that from the game". which in context hints at the notion of f*** win without uttering that now potentially banned two word phrase. I think the Slaw guy came up with f*** win as a buzzword. I think in two little words it succinctly refutes the tripe that gets written that the raps were either lucky that night or the other team didn't try that night or the other team was just crappy and not worthy of being in the NBA that night thereby rendering those particular wins worthless.

                                So yeah...I am happy over each and every win this team gets especially ones on the road. Just don't share the view that some wins are somehow jaundiced or flawed or f***. They all came at a price and they all count regardless of who you beat.

                                Sorry but I never did see you put up any kind of seat of the pants prediction in any of the Eastern Conference pre season predictions threads so i will take you at your word that you had Milwaukee finishing out of the playoffs and being the stumblebums they appear to be right now. Gorilla math had about 90% of the contributors forecasting the Bucks being in the playoffs between 4 and 6 including me who will eat crow on that one and a couple others.
                                Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Dec 28, 2015, 12:54 AM.
                                Canadas election mantra #Dump the Chump

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X