Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eliza wrote: View Post
    Thank you for such a kind misrepresentation of what I said. You're sweet
    Kindly clarify then, if I misunderstood. And please present the evidence to support your view, as the lack of it was the thrust of my criticism.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      That is a perfect example of the danger of the whole "all these NBA coaches know best"

How many people were on these boards last year begging and pleading for a shift in defensive philosophy - yet Casey continued to pound that rock.

Well well well...... Who knew?
      How much of the issue was system and how much the players?

MU moved out some of the shittiest defenders(Vasquez, Lou, Hans), but also allowed the best and most effective hedger to leave (Amir). Also brought in a terrific defender, but a poor hedger in Biz.
      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        It's on individual possession basis - so the offensive efficiency numbers are how many points scored per 100 offensive possessions, while the defensive efficiency is per 100 defensive possessions. Net rating is the difference. So if you played one offensive possession and scored 2 points (200 ORTG) and played 100 defensive possessions and allowed 2 points (2 DRTG), your net rating would not be based on 2 points scored minus 2 points allowed equals 0, it would be 200 - 2 = 198 net rating. So, short answer, no, defence-offence subs would not impact the numbers.

In any case, those sorts of subs make up maybe 3 or 4 possessions in a game, and most games they aren't even made, and on a scale of 75 or so minutes played (or more for BB) you are looking at about 150 possessions played (each way), so even if subs worked like that it would be an error on the scale of 1 or 2 %. But they don't anyway.

That's also why net rating is a far superior statistic to simple plus-minus. Plus minus will penalize players who play more defensive possessions than offensive ones (based on regular sub patterns and of course offence-defence subs at the end of games). Net rating takes the ratio of possession types out of the equation and just presents the difference in value provided on each end.
        So it skews.. but in your view doesn't impact in a material way.
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

• JV vs. BB is going to make the forums insufferable for the entire season.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
            So it skews.. but in your view doesn't impact in a material way.
            No, it doesn't skew at all, was what I was trying to say. Not even a little bit.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
              How much of the issue was system and how much the players?

MU moved out some of the shittiest defenders(Vasquez, Lou, Hans), but also allowed the best and most effective hedger to leave (Amir). Also brought in a terrific defender, but a poor hedger in Biz.
              The players and the system changed.

They were one of worst defensive teams in the league coaches by a defensive guru who refused to adapt....and was adamnent, steadfast, and defiant to criticism throughout the entire season, playoffs, and post season presser.

I'm not sure how much more telling it can be that the bloggers view was more inline with reality.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                JV vs. BB is going to make the forums insufferable for the entire season.
                The torch has been passed?

Bargnani to DeRozan to JV/BB

Comment

• I could handle the JV/BB discussion. The DeRozan thread seems to be sorting itself out, I need a new thing to make my head explode
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    No, it doesn't skew at all, was what I was trying to say. Not even a little bit.
                    So....what you are saying is it skews...if I catch your meaning...
                    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• No discussion. It's like TH enbd pof session putting up good number then goose eggs in the playoffs. Guys aren't going to bang in the regular season hard. Post season everyone plays hard every possession

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                        I could handle the JV/BB discussion. The DeRozan thread seems to be sorting itself out, I need a new thing to make my head explode
                        Give it time.

Although this debate is unlikely to last beyond next season unless Masai and BB have some deal on the side - lol

Comment

• yeah BB is playing himself into a 5 - 8 million dollar deal (the new 3 to 5 as it were) and Bebe still has two years on the rook scale.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                            yeah BB is playing himself into a 5 - 8 million dollar deal (the new 3 to 5 as it were) and Bebe still has two years on the rook scale.
                            Yeah, right now our hope is he re-signs for the MLE. But with all that cap space out there... Remember, Al Farouq Aminu got 4 x 7.5M last summer, and that was just in preparation for the cap boom, not the actual cap boom itself.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                              The players and the system changed.

They were one of worst defensive teams in the league coaches by a defensive guru who refused to adapt....and was adamnent, steadfast, and defiant to criticism throughout the entire season, playoffs, and post season presser.

I'm not sure how much more telling it can be that the bloggers view was more inline with reality.
                              No system would have worked last year when we had the worst perimeter defenders in the NBA.
                              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                                No system would have worked last year when we had the worst perimeter defenders in the NBA.
                                The three players with the worst on-court defensive ratings last season (who played significant minutes) were Terrence Ross, Jonas Valanciunas and Patrick Patterson. Somehow all three are posting much better numbers this year.

When Vasquez was off the court last season, the team had a 104.9 DRTG. With Lou on the bench, a 105.1 DRTG. These are not good numbers. Methinks your blame is misplaced. The system was absolute garbage.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X