Game #35: Toronto Raptors 113 - Chicago Bulls 115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
    They're not (necessarily) mutually exclusive ... and therefore the remark is nothing like "the definition of irrational". The best team solution might be to give the ball to the top scorer. At least sometimes ...

But this bearing in mind that Jonas just got back (and so on and so on). ...

Rather than "selfishness", I'd be prepared to concede that DeMar might have (like the Currys and Hardens of the world), wanted to sink that bucket desperately (especially given how Butler had gone off) . And sure, you've got to learn the team game. But you do need guys who want to be the difference-maker in those situations - who don't "shy-away".

For what it's worth, I suspect that that was the point of the "cards" that Casey hands out - that certain guys need to try to learn to make elite contributions to the team - and lose any self-doubt about those (assigned) tasks. If Casey was taking the long-view, then we might only be seeing the full pay-off now - as DeMar begins to step back, accept more help, refine his game ... after having fully worked through the process of learning to be "the guy".

I kinda' assume this, because those who would like to have had JV brought along more quickly certainly had a point - might have worked, too. But then a long-term plan often confuses those not privy to the full arc of the program ...

And such a plan may always be disagreed with, in good faith, in any event - even if there is no information deficit ...
    The bolded is just massive bullshit.

Anything to defend Casey, eh?

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
      Yup. I haven't watched the game yet, but it's the NBA. Sometimes a guy will just light you up for 40 points. Any number of players can do it and no NBA defense is immune. When the guy doing it is on a team as good as Chicago, that's a damn hard game to win. It's a gut-punch loss, but I'm impressed it was a 2 point game.

Also, Chicago definitely needs to move on from the D-Rose Era.

You should watch the game and then check back.

Cool if you still have same opinion.

But this was not a well executed game down the stretch.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
        Yup. I haven't watched the game yet, but it's the NBA. Sometimes a guy will just light you up for 40 points. Any number of players can do it and no NBA defense is immune. When the guy doing it is on a team as good as Chicago, that's a damn hard game to win. It's a gut-punch loss, but I'm impressed it was a 2 point game.

Also, Chicago definitely needs to move on from the D-Rose Era.
        Yeah, but they were up 12 with 6:00 left and they gave up 67 points in the second half. Butler was great but it was definitely a 'should have won that' game. The Bulls let them off the hook late by repeatedly missing free throws and some poor decision-making by Lowry and Derozan late squandered those opportunities.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
          Full breakdown of Butler's FGA in the second half:

1. Drives on Carroll for a layup, made.
          2. Drive on Carroll off a Gasol screen, floater, made.
          3. Drives on Carroll off a Gasol screen, jumper from free throw line, made.
          4. Turnaround over Carroll in ISO, made.
          5. Drive on Carroll off a Gasol screen, bank shot, made.
          5/5 against Carroll at this point.
          6. Fast break bank shot on DeRozan, miss.
          0/1 against DeMar.
          7. ISO against Lowry(seriously, Lowry was the man on him all the way down the floor), layup, made.
          1/1 against Lowry.
          8. Drive on Joseph off a Gasol screen, missed jumper.
          9. ISO against Joseph, pull-up, made.
          1/2 against Joseph
          10. Drive against Ross, blocked floater.
          11. Turnaround against Ross, made.
          12. Drive against Ross, layup made.
          13. Pull-up 3 against Ross, missed.
          2/4 against Ross.
          14. Drive against DeMar, layup, made.
          1/2 against DeMar.
          15. Pull-up over Lowry, made.
          2/2 against Lowry.
          16. Pull-up 3 over DeMar after switch off Carroll, made.
          2/3 against DeMar.
          17. Drive on Carroll, floater made.
          18. Pull-up over Carroll, missed.
          19. Pull-up 3 over Carroll, made.
          7/8 against Carroll.

So the question is, why was Carroll the guy guarding him on the last possession, given that he'd been torching Carroll the entire half?

All data pulled from nba.com movement charts.
          Because Carroll is our best defender "come hell or high water"?

I guess he thought 7/8... Odds are he misses one?

I honestly don't know.

Butler got unbelievably hot. I doubt the results would've been different, regardless of who was guarding him. We needed to take the ball out of his hands but we didn't and paid the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post

I honestly don't know.

Butler got unbelievably hot. I doubt the results would've been different, regardless of who was guarding him. We needed to take the ball out of his hands but we didn't and paid the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            This is actually my best argument in favor of Ross. Re-watching the second half, Ross did a better job than anyone else fronting Butler and denying him the ball. A big part of the reason Butler only scored 8 points in the 9 minutes Ross was on the floor. All of Butler's field goals against Ross were when he received the ball coming across half. Otherwise, he either wasn't getting the ball or wasn't getting the ball with enough time to work the pick and roll.
            twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post

I honestly don't know.

lol. Playing the odds

In such a close game, hard to justify not trying something different even if just for a possession or two of JJ. But it isn't surprising, because Casey has coached like this before (see playoffs last year vs Pierce). "Tried everything" except one of the better defenders on the team.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                Spew all the stats you want but, when the game is on the line I don't want anyone else in that situation.
                .... other than Grevis Vasquez.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                  lol. Playing the odds

In such a close game, hard to justify not trying something different even if just for a possession or two of JJ. But it isn't surprising, because Casey has coached like this before (see playoffs last year vs Pierce). "Tried everything" except one of the better defenders on the team.
                  The problem with JJ is that Casey insists on playing Biz and DeMar in crunch minutes, and JJ/Biz/DeMar lineups are just pathetically awful on the other end of the floor. We should be open to using DeMar as an offense/defense sub, and giving JV crunch time minutes. Makes JJ infinitely more useful.

Comment

The problem with JJ is Casey
                    The condensed version.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                      The condensed version.
                      Yeah, but that's also the problem with DeMar, Lowry, Carroll, Scola, Patterson, Ross, Joseph, Biz.

Comment

Yeah, but that's also the problem with DeMar, Lowry, Carroll, Scola, Patterson, Ross, Joseph, Biz.
                        LOL at that list not including JV.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                          LOL at that list not including JV.
                          I was channeling my inner Casey and forgetting about him.

Comment

• Wow.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• this game still stings damn that jimmy b killed the bucks tonight as well

Comment

Working...
                              X