Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On this date, is it safe to say that no trade is needed this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that Clippers pick unprotected? Is it possible that could actually turn into a lottery pick? The Clips are playing better as of late, but if they don't make the conference finals at least this season, will that be considered failure and lead to the dismantling of their core? Seems unlikely I know, but right now, I'd be more willing to give up one of the Raps own picks in a trade and hold the Clips pick until the offseason.

As for actually making a trade, I'm kinda torn. It's so hard to gauge the conference and where we rank right now. Somewhere after CLE is all I'm comfortable saying. But if we truly are a top 4 team in the conference, then it might be worth bringing in some help. The right piece at the right price. I don't think we can afford to move Patterson or Ross without 3pt shooting coming back as we are lacking in that department. I could see MU going after a cheap 3pt shooting wing, to push Ross or take his minutes if he checks out. I would say the same for PAtterson, but a cheap shooting wing seems more gettable.

I just hope we beat the Bulls today. Go Raps!

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
      Is that Clippers pick unprotected? Is it possible that could actually turn into a lottery pick? The Clips are playing better as of late, but if they don't make the conference finals at least this season, will that be considered failure and lead to the dismantling of their core? Seems unlikely I know, but right now, I'd be more willing to give up one of the Raps own picks in a trade and hold the Clips pick until the offseason.

As for actually making a trade, I'm kinda torn. It's so hard to gauge the conference and where we rank right now. Somewhere after CLE is all I'm comfortable saying. But if we truly are a top 4 team in the conference, then it might be worth bringing in some help. The right piece at the right price. I don't think we can afford to move Patterson or Ross without 3pt shooting coming back as we are lacking in that department. I could see MU going after a cheap 3pt shooting wing, to push Ross or take his minutes if he checks out. I would say the same for PAtterson, but a cheap shooting wing seems more gettable.

Artest is available

I think we can come to the conclusion that JJ+pick for a backup 3(&D if possible) at the SF spot would be something that could be done.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post

AFAIK its lottery protected

Comment

Lottery protected '17,18, 19

.2 2nds if not conveyed by '19.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
            AFAIK its lottery protected
            3inthekeon wrote: View Post
            Lottery protected '17,18, 19

.2 2nds if not conveyed by '19.
            well I guess not that valuable if the Clips implode. A good trade chip it is then.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
              I'd give up Ross for Teletovic if it made it happen. That guy can shoot from anywhere is not terrible on D
              Barolt wrote: View Post
              Where do Ross' minutes go in this scenario? JJ+DD lineups aren't good this season, especially when Biz is on the floor. That's the problem with trading Ross.
              That is one tough call....
              Ross can shoot the three and is again showing his potential...so its really hard call to give up on a young player that may be a late bloomer that can give you the 3pt shooting the team needs plus be an average to better than average defender when he is on....
              OR
              we may be seeing the equivalent of lucy yanking the football away from charlie brown.....
              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Jan 3, 2016, 03:14 PM.
              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
              - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                That is one tough call....
                Ross can shoot the three and is again showing his potential...so its really hard call to give up on a young player that may be a late bloomer that can give you the 3pt shooting the team needs plus be an average to better than average defender when he is on....
                OR
                we may be seeing the equivalent of lucy yanking the football away from charlie brown.....
                Still though, its a bit counterproductive to go out and get a three point shooter by giving up one of your best three point shooters. Currently we only have two good wing shooters, so I hesitate to get rid of one.

I think our most tradable position is pg right now, but still I would wait until at least the offseason to make a deal. I think either Wright or Cojo could be traded in the offseason for something pretty good. Its a bit early to make a deal, cause Wright hasn't played, but I expect him to look pretty good when he finally does make an appearance.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                  The elephant in the room may be this. Over the next five years, can you build a championship level team on Lowry/Derozan? Not trolling for answers to that here. Just saying that if Masai has confidence in that we may not see much. But if there's a thought in the back of his head that says otherwise....things might blow up real good. I think he gives this core one more run in the playoffs and holds off the decision until then.
                  If that's Masai's plan we just wasted another year. Here are the two most probable outcomes if we do nothing:
                  1. We make it to the second round and then get tossed.
                  2. We lose in the first round.
                  They're equally likely imo. Other outcomes like missing the playoffs or making the conference finals are less than 10%.

So what new information do we get from either outcome? They both basically tell us that we have a limited ceiling. If we're pinning our hopes on a conference finals appearance to confirm that this group has a higher ceiling than it's shown to date, we're just wasting time.

Comment

Ross is actually important even if he doesn't touch the ball. You see how they had Snell face guarding him as soon as he come into the game? That opens up the court a lot

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                      Ross is actually important even if he doesn't touch the ball. You see how they had Snell face guarding him as soon as he come into the game? That opens up the court a lot
                      Noticed this as well the last few games. When Ross is in the game, other teams try as hard as they can not to leave him open, gives a lot of space. He's shooting 4/14 in two games in January, has a 115 Ortg. Likely, the spacing would be the cause.
                      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                        Doesn't work in the playoffs, though. As a series goes on, teams will start sagging off a shooter who is cold or rarely receives a pass or both. That is exactly what the Nets did to Ross in the Raps-Nets playoff series, i.e., had Ross' man sagging off to double team or swipe at the ball handler (Lowry/DD).

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                          Doesn't work in the playoffs, though. As a series goes on, teams will start sagging off a shooter who is cold or rarely receives a pass or both. That is exactly what the Nets did to Ross in the Raps-Nets playoff series, i.e., had Ross' man sagging off to double team or swipe at the ball handler (Lowry/DD).
                          Which is where a strong system is needed to get the open looks to those players. If we are already struggling to get them open shots whats going to happen?

My spidey sense and recent memory think not good things

Comment

Working...
                          X