• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grading Masai So Far

1. Drafting
    2. Free Agency
    3. Trades
    4. His personnel (I.e. Coaches, Scouts, Trainors, Player Development)
    5. Overall Team Culture and Identity

Drafting - C minus
    Free Agency - B minus
    Trades - B plus
    Personnel - B
    Culture - B

1. Tbd
    2. B
    3. A
    4. B
    5. A

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

His mid-level signing and his two value signings have been phenomenal. Hopefully Carroll pays dividends down the stretch.

Comment

1. C
        2. B
        3. A
        4. C
        5. C
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Pretty hard to judge on drafting at this point.

Would like to see some rationale behind people's grades too.

Free Agency has been good. No real complaints there.

Trades - can only judge on the ones he made (but it's the ones he hasn't made that are perhaps more indicative) but they are average to above average. Turning Salmons into Bebe (and Lou) was good.

Personnel seems to be in "evaluation" mode forever.

Culture and identity - what is our identity? We play down to our opponents and rise to the challenge - that suggests a certain lacking in motivation or perhaps leadership.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Drafting - Inc.
            Free Agency - A (I liked every signing he's made)
            Trades - A+ (between the bargs trade, the salmons trade, and the fact he hasn't lost a trade yet, don't see how it can be less.)
            Personnel - B
            Culture and Identity - A (The fact that he got into Aldridge sweepstakes speaks volumes. In terms of roster, he's been taking the long view, but the free agent signings he's made have been telling. starting with handsbro and continuing on with JJ, Carroll, BB and Scola, we're getting a sense of the type of player he likes to bring in - hard nosed competitors.)

And I'm going to add a category:
            Long term outlook: asset accumulation and development - A (What's he's been able to do here in just over two years has been astounding. We're sooooo much better off.)
            "Stop eating your sushi."
            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

1. Until we see these guys in action it's hard to say.
              2. B+ is as high as I can give for locking Lowry and picking up guys like Joseph, Carroll, Scola and Biz. Only way that score can go higher is if he brings in an All Star.
              3. B+. Still riding the high of that Bargs trade. Again that score is as high as I can give until I see what that the pick turns into or he can bring in an All Star player.
              4. A. Not a very injury prone team, coaches have been consistent in their approach. The franchise is as steady as it has been at any point in it's history.
              5. A+

Comment

It's a strange point in the season to be doing this but whatever:
                1. Drafting - C/incomplete. The C is based on how I feel our picks will work out, but the incomplete is acknowledging that we don't really have that much information yet. But the fact that we don't have much information is also why this is a C.

2. Free Agency - B. Lowry/Val/CoJo were excellent deals. The little signings like Scola and Biyombo have been solid. Ross and Carroll look like they're going to be bad, but just how bad is unclear at this point. And I mean bad not just on the face of them, but the fact that the opportunity cost of $25 million per year is really big, when these two pieces aren't really going to move the needle for us. I doubt either one is an "asset" per se, and one or both may become a liability.

3. Trades - A. Bargnani deal was great, Gay trade was solid, Vasquez deal was great.

4. Personnel - D. I think it's preposterous that we fired the assistants while retaining Dwane Casey. Not to mention that it boggles the mind that Casey is still here. Other smaller moves like getting Andy Greer save this from being an F.

5. Team Culture and Identity: B. We have a good mix of character guys. We don't have much of an identity though.

6. Long term outlook: C. This is a hard one since there is so much uncertainty around what might happen between now and the first week of free agency. But the way things are going I feel like there's a 50% chance this is a D (treadmill but with some movable pieces) and varying probabilities of C (marginal upgrade by 2017), B (significant upgrade by 2017), or A (cornerstone added by 2017).
                It's the Spicy Show! Time to cook.

Comment

1. D -
                  2. A
                  3. A
                  4. C +
                  5. B -
                  MeDar ReDozan

Comment

I'm still a huge believer in what Masai can bring to this team ... but the longer we roll with Casey, the more I question it.

Everything else I'm pretty happy with.

Drafting - B
                    Caboclo, Wright and Powell are all "TBD" talents.

Free Agency - B
                    Carroll, Scola and BB8 were all good pickups for their price.
                    TRoss extension is a question mark.

Trading - A
                    Bargs.

Personnel - C-
                    Dwane Effing Casey..

Team Identity - B-
                    I think Masai has done his part in getting the right players, so we can play the right kind of game.. but this ultimately falls on the Coach, and we have ZERO Killer Instinct.

Comment

1. Drafting - A
                      - I don't like anyone after Bruno so that's a good pick (although it's still really early)
                      - Wright hasn't seen any real playing time so can't really judge (that's more the coach's fault), but he's doing well in D-League
                      - I like the idea of Powell.. need to see more but won't with the coach we have which sucks.
                      ... real test will be the NY/Denver pick and to see what he does with that. But so far giving him a solid grade.

2. Free Agency - B+
                      - Resigned Lowry to a great deal.
                      - Brought back JV to a really great deal
                      - Carrol/CoJo/Biyombo/Scola/Tyler were all solid pickups at good deals (Carroll might be a slight overpay but with cap going up won't really be an issue).
                      - Got a sit down with LMA
                      - Failure was signing Steamer instead of Whiteside. Already had that vet big (Chuck). So can't give him an A.
                      - TR extension is a mystery that may get resolved by the draft.

3. Trades - A+
                      - Bargnani (nuff said)
                      - Gay (got a bench - made the playoffs after 7 year drought)
                      - Lou/Bebe for Salmons (got a prospect and the 6th man for a stiff)
                      - GV for Powell/1st (got cap space to be able to get Carroll)
                      - Daye for De Colo was a great trade.. considering Daye was awful as a Raptor
                      - Underrated move of Zubicic for Ridnour to OKC was a good move.. Gives Masai some good faith with OKC in case a S&T for KD ever goes down.

4. His personnel - D-
                      Bringing back Casey after an 0-4 debacle in the playoffs with home court advantage. Sorry Masai.. that's a big problem.

5. Overall Team Culture and Identity - B
                      Raptors have made the playoffs 2 years (probably a 3rd).. has beat the franchise record for wins in a season. Raptors aren't a great team or a contender but BC really didn't leave him with much. Some of it is on TL but the "We the North", Drake, ASG, Practice Facility, etc have all helped changed the reputation of Toronto around the league. Raptors are respected and they were a joke for a long time before that.

Comment

1. Drafting: INC. Too early to grade, especially with all the guys being late first and seconds. It would be different if they were lotto picks sitting in the D-League.

2 and 3. Free Agency and Trades: B. Can't give an A until/unless he lands a whale. Hard to complain about anything he's done and we have no idea what he didn't do.

4. Personnel(???). INC? Not sure what to say here. This seems like it should just be 'coach'. It's too early to comment on player development (why is that here?) and I have no idea whether the scouts or trainers (????) are any good or not cause how the hell would I know? I thought he would fire Casey after the WSH series but I'm ambivalent toward Casey, so I don't view it as a major negative.

5. Culture/Identity. B? The most competitive team game in and game out they've had since the early 2000s but, otherwise, I have trouble judging this. Will be interesting when Casey is fired as to how this plays out....

Most importantly, it the overall impact he's had, which is an A without a doubt. From a basketball operations perspective this team has never been run even close to this well. This really can't be overstated: the franchise is in a better spot than it has been in 20 years. They've cleaned out the front office; created a player development system from scratch; built up the infrastructure supporting the team; and finally have a long term view of the world that the Raptors have never, ever had before.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                          1. Drafting: INC. Too early to grade, especially with all the guys being late first and seconds. It would be different if they were lotto picks sitting in the D-League.

2 and 3. Free Agency and Trades: B. Can't give an A until/unless he lands a whale. Hard to complain about anything he's done and we have no idea what he didn't do.

4. Personnel(???). INC? Not sure what to say here. This seems like it should just be 'coach'. It's too early to comment on player development (why is that here?) and I have no idea whether the scouts or trainers (????) are any good or not cause how the hell would I know? I thought he would fire Casey after the WSH series but I'm ambivalent toward Casey, so I don't view it as a major negative.

5. Culture/Identity. B? The most competitive team game in and game out they've had since the early 2000s but, otherwise, I have trouble judging this. Will be interesting when Casey is fired as to how this plays out....

Most importantly, it the overall impact he's had, which is an A without a doubt. From a basketball operations perspective this team has never been run even close to this well. This really can't be overstated: the franchise is in a better spot than it has been in 20 years. They've cleaned out the front office; created a player development system from scratch; built up the infrastructure supporting the team; and finally have a long term view of the world that the Raptors have never, ever had before.
                          Great point on the bolded bit.

Comment

Agreed with Slaw. As much as you can still criticize everything, it's easy to forget how laughably worse this franchise was before Masai took over. I mean right from season 1 deep playoff runs have been in the mix, and all the while this guy is clearly leaving some of his biggest moves/opportunities for the future. BC would have sold the farm, maxed out the payroll, and sold off assets just to get this far.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                              Agreed with Slaw. As much as you can still criticize everything, it's easy to forget how laughably worse this franchise was before Masai took over. I mean right from season 1 deep playoff runs have been in the mix, and all the while this guy is clearly leaving some of his biggest moves/opportunities for the future. BC would have sold the farm, maxed out the payroll, and sold off assets just to get this far.
                              Wright, Powell and Bruno would not have been drafted because BC would have traded away all of our draft picks for a borderline, sub par star.

Comment

Working...
                              X