Grading Masai So Far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanH wrote: View Post
    Early Bird Rights allow you to sign a player up to just above the average salary, or 175% of their last year's salary. Those both work out pretty close to the same number for Johnson, about 4-5M, so yes we can give him a bit of a raise.
    Remind me where we're at with Nando - would we have to use part of the MLE to give him a decent-sized contract?

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
      Remind me where we're at with Nando - would we have to use part of the MLE to give him a decent-sized contract?
      We have early Bird rights for him too. So same idea as Johnson.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Nando must not be a "Casey guy", meaning Casey doesn't like his defense. He's only making 2M/yr with CSKA, I believe, and he wanted to come back to the NBA this past summer. Raps had an open spot after Vasquez was traded, but we went out and drafted a PG (Wright) and signed a FA PG (CoJo) for defensive reasons at $8.5M combined salary. Raps did make the Qualifying Offer ($1.8M) this off-season, so I believe we retained his NBA rights. DeColo wants at least a primary backup position to return to the NBA - not sporadic minutes.

Comment

We have early Bird rights for him too. So same idea as Johnson.
          "So The most a team can offer an Early Bird free agent is 175% of his previous salary or 104.5% of the league-average salary, whichever is greater."

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/04/e...rd-rights.html

Does this mean we can offer Nando a fair chunk of change under the new cap? In the RMLE-MLE range?
          Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Mon Jan 11, 2016, 11:24 PM.

Comment

can we sign and trade Nando?
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

"So The most a team can offer an Early Bird free agent is 175% of his previous salary or 104.5% of the league-average salary, whichever is greater."

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/04/e...rd-rights.html

Does this mean we can offer Nando a fair chunk of change under the new cap? In the RMLE-MLE range?
              Yep, about 5M ish depending on what the exact value of the average salary ends up this season.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                can we sign and trade Nando?
                Nope. Sign and trades are now only allowed for players that played in the NBA the previous season.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yep, about 5M ish depending on what the exact value of the average salary ends up this season.
                  That's pretty competitive I guess, can't remember what his buyout number was dropping to.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                    He's only had two 1st round picks, the project in Bruno, and Wright who has looked really good in the DLeague. For those not paying attention, here are Wrights DLeague stats:

36 min, 18 pts, 5 reb, 7 ast, 1.6 stl, 0.5 blk, 2.6 TO, .532 FG%, .364 3pt%, .786 FT%, 3.3 3PA, 4.2 FTA

He's doing everything very efficiently, and he's hitting 3's at a high clip which is a very pleasant surprise. Could easily step in as our starter when Kyle's contract is up after next season, and gives us a reasonable PG duo (CoJo/Wright) if we decide to trade Lowry this offseason to shake things up (I love Lowry but he's probably our best trade piece). I really don't get people hating on the pick, Wright is going to be a stud in the NBA.

2nd round picks generally don't amount to shit, so the fact we may get a real player or two out of those picks is pretty damn good.
                    What you've replied with is consistent with what I said. Bruno is a project, and I graded Masai based on making the choice of picking a project. It's really not that different from the way I graded Colangelo a few years back when he decided not to help the team immediately and instead chose Jonas back in 2011. I have no issue with the players chosen, it's more about decision making and whether or not it is the right decision at the right time.
                    your pal,
                    ebrian

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
                      What you've replied with is consistent with what I said. Bruno is a project, and I graded Masai based on making the choice of picking a project. It's really not that different from the way I graded Colangelo a few years back when he decided not to help the team immediately and instead chose Jonas back in 2011. I have no issue with the players chosen, it's more about decision making and whether or not it is the right decision at the right time.
                      I hear you but when your picking at 20, its a huge win if you actually land an above average player so I don't fault Masai for doing what he thinks is best to get that.

Comment

• Jrice9 wrote: View Post
                        I hear you but when your picking at 20, its a huge win if you actually land an above average player so I don't fault Masai for doing what he thinks is best to get that.
                        Did the CoJo sgning not occur after the draft as well? Masai may well have drafted differently had he already signed CJ.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                          Did the CoJo sgning not occur after the draft as well? Masai may well have drafted differently had he already signed CJ.
                          I hope not. Drafting for need is a bad idea. Hopefully Wright was simply seen as the best player there, and they didn't like Portis for whatever reason.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                            I was talking about Bruno so its kinda irrelevant.

I think Wright will be playing sooner than people think. Though the CoJo signing does create a glut there

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                              I hope not. Drafting for need is a bad idea. Hopefully Wright was simply seen as the best player there, and they didn't like Portis for whatever reason.
                              I mean, that's what Masai publicly said, but I guess some people won't take him at his word.

If Wright was playing like shit I'd understand people being upset, but it looks like we got a really good player (and Portis hasn't done anything impressive yet), we just so happen to have time to develop him, which a few posters take as a huge negative for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X