The Biyombo Effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mess wrote: View Post
    lol agreed. Even when the player actually shoots the ball I don't see how him jumping from so far away is more effective than taking another step or two. I mean he jumps damn high, but I'd gladly trade some of his hops for brains.
    Given his defensive 3pt percentage this season, I wonder if there isn't something to just running guys off their spot. A lot of the time when I see Ross bite on a jump fake, the guy has to take a dribble to set into his shot. That one dribble can throw off a lot of catch and shoot guys.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Yes, closing out on a guy and getting him off the 3 point line is a good thing. But it can be done without jumping 3 feet in the air and landing out of bounds.

Ross isn't the only guy to do it of course. Just seems that even when he slows his momentum and jumps relatively vertical, he's so far away from his man that I don't know whether he's affecting their shot more or less than someone whose on the ground but closer to the player.
      Last edited by Mess; Fri Jan 8, 2016, 01:58 PM.
      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Yes, closing out on a guy and getting him off the 3 point line is a good thing. But it can be done without jumping 3 feet in the air and landing out of bounds.
        I agree completely, but I'd rather have a guy being too eager to stop a shooter than doing what DeMar does, and forgetting the shooter is there.
        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
          I agree completely, but I'd rather have a guy being too eager to stop a shooter than doing what DeMar does, and forgetting the shooter is there.
          Agree. Ross is late but Demar doesn't even run out. Guys end up on poster because they tried to defend

Comment

Yes, closing out on a guy and getting him off the 3 point line is a good thing. But it can be done without jumping 3 feet in the air and landing out of bounds.

Ross isn't the only guy to do it of course. Just seems that even when he slows his momentum and jumps relatively vertical, he's so far away from his man that I don't know whether he's affecting their shot more or less than someone whose on the ground but closer to the player.
            Yeah at least some of the time he does chase the guy off the line, but after leaping through the air like Superman, Ross is out of bounds and the shooter is wide open with the ball + all kinds of time to decide what play to make. He can shoot, pass, dribble into the defense - sometimes another perimeter defender actually has to rotate over and leave his own man open. A proper close out and you don't give the ball handler that opportunity. You're also in position for the continuing play.

Comparing poor fundamentals (Ross) to worse fundamentals (DeRozan) is a bit of head scratcher, to be honest. (Just talking about this one particular play here.)
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
              Yeah at least some of the time he does chase the guy off the line, but after leaping through the air like Superman, Ross is out of bounds and the shooter is wide open with the ball + all kinds of time to decide what play to make. He can shoot, pass, dribble into the defense - sometimes another perimeter defender actually has to rotate over and leave his own man open. A proper close out and you don't give the ball handler that opportunity. You're also in position for the continuing play.

Comparing poor fundamentals (Ross) to worse fundamentals (DeRozan) is a bit of head scratcher, to be honest. (Just talking about this one particular play here.)
              well, you're actually comparing poor fundamentals vs. poor effort. either way, not great.

Comment

• Axel, that was some great work in the OP.

Just wondering where the numbers you got were located and how the main guys (PP, CJ, TR, KL and DD) are doing now as compared to when you first posted.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                  Axel, that was some great work in the OP.

Just wondering where the numbers you got were located and how the main guys (PP, CJ, TR, KL and DD) are doing now as compared to when you first posted.
                  Sure

Lowry is currently at 43.3% without and 41.6% with on FG and 40.2% and 39.4% from deep. Gap largely closed.

Ross is 50% to 39.9% and 47% to 30.2%. So still huge difference.

DD is 45% to 44% from FG and 38% to 23% from 3.

Will try to do a full update this week with more details. All stats are from basketball-reference.com
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post

Even better is:

"Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                        JJ is the only guy I've seen in the league who blocks jump shots all the time without fouling
                        I've seen Anthony Davis do it quite a bit. But yeah, JJ is one athletic dude.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                          Agree, but I wonder if there is a different metric to measure how a lead scorers defence is graded due to how much they need to apply themselves on the other side of the ball?

Comment

Working...
                          X