Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a contender on a knife's edge?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • JWash wrote: View Post
    Ok I'm putting a stop to this Scola being a stretch 4 thing now.

    When Scola is very tightly guarded (0-2 feet) he has not attempted one three this season.
    http://stats.nba.com/league/player/s...20Very%20Tight

    When Scola is tightly guarded (2-4 feet) he has attempted 0.2 three pointers per game, accounting for 2.5% of his shots, so basically he takes a "tightly" contested three once every 5 games. That does not sound like a stretch 4 to me, and that definitely doesn't sound like
    http://stats.nba.com/league/player/s...et%20-%20Tight



    I don't know anyone whose arms are 4 feet long (except Bruno rofl).

    Even when Scola is OPEN (4-6 feet) he attempts just 0.5 threes per game. So he takes 1 open three every 2 games. And for the record he shoots these horribly at 26.3%.
    http://stats.nba.com/league/player/s...eet%20-%20Open

    Most of Scola's threes come when he is WIDE OPEN (6 feet+) shooting 0.9 per game at a 50% clip.
    http://stats.nba.com/league/player/s...%20Wide%20Open

    So no he is not a stretch 4, he is a guy that can make a completely uncontested three. There is a significant difference.
    these number do absolutely nothing to prove your point.

    You all are saying that he is left alone on the three point line, that no one guards him.

    Because he gets an open three per game does not prove that, Scola is smart with his attempts. And he takes those shots when he is open, not when he is guarded.

    It is apples and oranges.

    Comment


    • Joey wrote: View Post
      But as JWash just showed us, according to NBA.coms stats, they do. A lot.
      He hasn't taken one tightly contested 3 all season.
      Well it's actually not 1 very tightly contested three (and to be fair neither has 2Pat). He's taken a few tightly contested ones (8 I think, I didn't check the totals but 0.2/game*40ish games = 8).

      But the reality is almost all of his made threes have been completely wide open. He makes 0.6 threes a game and has made 0.45 per game with no defender within 6 feet.

      Comment


      • consmap wrote: View Post
        I think the biggest reason why his percentage is in the 40s is because teams are leaving him open from there. To top things off he's shooting most of them from the corner, the easiest 3 to make.

        Remember our last starting PF? Amir? He shot a decent percentage too, and for the same reason IMO. Because they were leaving him open most of the time.
        teams arent leaving them open, they are being open as the result of floor circumstances.

        Someone is going to stay nearby until a play unfolds.

        Fuck even JV gets guarded up high when he goes to set a screen.





        People cannot look at his shot tracking and use that as the basis for the entirety of his time on the court.

        Comment


        • Snooch wrote: View Post
          It isnt complex,

          And I do see 2 sides, he says demar is doing a good job of working with poor skills, but he also says that the raps need to be careful cause building around him could crumble.
          False.

          I am ordinarily much against putting things this flatly ... but I think it is quite clear that Levy says DeMar has developed from competent through above average to elite skills, in various areas, that render his (current) lack of a legitimate 3-point threat a non-issue - which only a hard-working and truly exceptional player could accomplish.

          He does not say that DeMar is doing a "good" job of working with "poor skills".

          Fuck.
          Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Tue Jan 12th, 2016, 04:03 PM.

          Comment


          • Snooch wrote: View Post
            not even close to the same thing and you fucking now it.
            LeBron and DeRozan aren't the same thing but the concept is. You don't put the right pieces together when constructing a team and it can fall apart.

            Fit matters even for the very best players.

            Comment


            • JWash wrote: View Post
              Well it's actually not 1 very tightly contested three (and to be fair neither has 2Pat). He's taken a few tightly contested ones (8 I think, I didn't check the totals but 0.2/game*40ish games = 8).

              But the reality is almost all of his made threes have been completely wide open. He makes 0.6 threes a game and has made 0.45 per game with no defender within 6 feet.

              Again, you are using shooting stats to try and back the notion that he is left unguarded when at the three.

              Does he get open shots from three....YES.


              Does that mean he is left unguarded?....NO


              Is it far more likely that his being open is a result of ball movement, inside out play, trailing in transition, kick outs off of a rebound etc? YES

              Comment


              • JWash wrote: View Post
                LeBron and DeRozan aren't the same thing but the concept is. You don't put the right pieces together when constructing a team and it can fall apart.

                Fit matters even for the very best players.

                yes, but the margin of error with most players is far larger than it is with demar.

                Comment


                • Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                  False.

                  I am ordinarily much against putting things this flatly ... but I think it is quite clear that Levy says DeMar has skills from competent through above average to elite skills, in various areas, that render his (current) lack of a legitimate 3-point threat a non-issue - which only a hard-working and truly exceptional player could accomplish.

                  He does not say that DeMar is doing a "good" job of working with "poor skills".

                  Fuck.
                  tomato tomato.

                  I summarized.

                  Comment


                  • Snooch wrote: View Post
                    tomato tomato.

                    I summarized.
                    This is like me saying "everybody lives" is a summary of Macbeth.

                    Comment


                    • JWash wrote: View Post
                      This is like me saying "everybody lives" is a summary of Macbeth.
                      bingo! lmao, but sadly true

                      Comment


                      • consmap wrote: View Post
                        I think the biggest reason why his percentage is in the 40s is because teams are leaving him open from there. To top things off he's shooting most of them from the corner, the easiest 3 to make.

                        Remember our last starting PF? Amir? He shot a decent percentage too, and for the same reason IMO. Because they were leaving him open most of the time.
                        Oh it absolutely is the biggest reason.

                        He's shooting 50% on wide open threes, which make up 75% of his 3PT attempts. He's shooting less than 30% on his other 3PT attempts.

                        Comment


                        • JWash wrote: View Post
                          This is like me saying "everybody lives" is a summary of Macbeth.
                          Lol.


                          (I only type this when I actually laugh out loud. Thanks, by the way. )

                          Comment


                          • Snooch wrote: View Post
                            teams arent leaving them open, they are being open as the result of floor circumstances.

                            Someone is going to stay nearby until a play unfolds.

                            Fuck even JV gets guarded up high when he goes to set a screen.





                            People cannot look at his shot tracking and use that as the basis for the entirety of his time on the court.
                            The thing is, I've noticed that when Scola is spotting up for 3 (usually in the corner) his man is more than willing to leave him to provide help in the paint. I think if you compare how he is defended at the 3 pt line to someone like 2 Pat, it's different because Pat has a reputation of being a floor spacer.

                            You mentioned JV getting guarded up high when it comes to screen setting, but that could be because the big man is expecting a PnR situation and is getting ready to hedge. If JV just happened to be lolling around at the 3 point line as if he was getting ready for a spot up jumper I don't think they would play him as closely.

                            So yeah, Scola is getting open because of those circumstances on the floor where the D collapses and he's left open, but I don't think he's left open as much if he was a player that's a legitimate stretch 4. Sure, he's shooting around 40% from there from the season but teams still don't respect him much from out there, so he isn't really stretching the floor, like Joey mentioned.
                            OG is our king

                            Comment


                            • JWash wrote: View Post
                              Oh it absolutely is the biggest reason.

                              He's shooting 50% on wide open threes, which make up 75% of his 3PT attempts. He's shooting less than 30% on his other 3PT attempts.
                              To me at least, his release feels a little slow from behind the arc. When a guy is remotely close to him when he goes to get it off it's easy for them to contest the shot.
                              OG is our king

                              Comment


                              • Snooch wrote: View Post
                                teams arent leaving them open, they are being open as the result of floor circumstances.

                                Someone is going to stay nearby until a play unfolds.

                                Fuck even JV gets guarded up high when he goes to set a screen.





                                People cannot look at his shot tracking and use that as the basis for the entirety of his time on the court.
                                We're all talking about what happens when a play unfolds..like DD driving, or a PnR with KL and JV, or posting up DD or JV etc. etc. What we're saying is, a better 3p shooter than Scola would not be as open in the exact same floor circumstances.
                                Two beer away from being two beers away.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X