Building a contender on a knife's edge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post
    This is basically how I interpreted the article.
    there is 2 sides to the article.

Some will see one side, roughly summed up in 1 single paragraph.

Comment

• Ok I'm putting a stop to this Scola being a stretch 4 thing now.

When Scola is very tightly guarded (0-2 feet) he has not attempted one three this season.
      http://stats.nba.com/league/player/s...20Very%20Tight

When Scola is tightly guarded (2-4 feet) he has attempted 0.2 three pointers per game, accounting for 2.5% of his shots, so basically he takes a "tightly" contested three once every 5 games. That does not sound like a stretch 4 to me, and that definitely doesn't sound like
      http://stats.nba.com/league/player/s...et%20-%20Tight

Snooch wrote:
      If he is out there, a defender is within arms reach.
      I don't know anyone whose arms are 4 feet long (except Bruno rofl).

Even when Scola is OPEN (4-6 feet) he attempts just 0.5 threes per game. So he takes 1 open three every 2 games. And for the record he shoots these horribly at 26.3%.
      http://stats.nba.com/league/player/s...eet%20-%20Open

Most of Scola's threes come when he is WIDE OPEN (6 feet+) shooting 0.9 per game at a 50% clip.
      http://stats.nba.com/league/player/s...%20Wide%20Open

So no he is not a stretch 4, he is a guy that can make a completely uncontested three. There is a significant difference.
      Last edited by JWash; Tue Jan 12, 2016, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Snooch wrote:
        lol
        That is not a reply.
        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          That's funny, seems like 85% of his three point attempts are taken with his defender at least 4 feet away. How long are your arms?
          This guy's got him locked up from about 10 feet away lol

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
            there is 2 sides to the article.
            Well I'm sure the author only intended for there to be 1 side ... and I thought he was pretty clear in what he was looking to communicate. The tone of the article was very much a positive, praising tone.

That said, Axels follow-up is by no means negative, just takes some of points and turns them around a bit to show a different point of view. And he's done an absolutely solid job of it!
            But the article is pretty positive I'd say.

Snooch wrote: View Post
            Some will see one side, roughly summed up in 1 single paragraph.
            Unfortunately, I'm not even sure of the point you're trying to make here...
            Last edited by Joey; Tue Jan 12, 2016, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Well I'm sure the author only intended for there to be 1 side ... and I thought he was pretty clear in what he was looking to communicate. The tone of the article was very much a positive, praising tone.

That said, Axels follow-up is by no means negative, just takes some of points and turns them around a bit to show a different point of view. And he's done an absolutely solid job of it!
              But the article is pretty positive I'd say.

Unfortunately, I'm not even sure of the point you're trying to make here...
              It isnt complex,

And I do see 2 sides, he says demar is doing a good job of working with poor skills, but he also says that the raps need to be careful cause building around him could crumble.

Comment

I'm not sure I can agree with this. I'd be blown away if more than 10-15% of his 3's were legitimately contested.
                teams are not going to leave a 40% shooter wide open at the 3pt line

Comment

It isnt complex,

And I do see 2 sides, he says demar is doing a good job of working with poor skills, but he also says that the raps need to be careful cause building around him could crumble.
                  Building around or with anyone can crumble. Ask LeBron about that in Cleveland. (his first stint is what I'm referring to)

Comment

Yes they are if the guy is making less than 1 three per game and primarily does his damage from the high post.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                      That's funny, seems like 85% of his three point attempts are taken with his defender at least 4 feet away. How long are your arms?
                      that does not tell the whole story, ( I am going to assume you have looked up the numbers and not just pulling them out of your ass)

There are plays and situations in which he has been wide open on the wing for various reasons and that alone can skew the data with someone who has only taken the shot 1.6 times a game.

Comment

But as JWash just showed us, according to NBA.coms stats, they do. A lot.
                        He hasn't taken one tightly contested 3 all season.

Comment

But as JWash just showed us, according to NBA.coms stats, they do. A lot.
                          .9 open three per game is not leaving someone open, alot.

Looking at the shooting numbers is not an indication of the game as a whole.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                            Building around or with anyone can crumble. Ask LeBron about that in Cleveland. (his first stint is what I'm referring to)
                            not even close to the same thing and you fucking now it.

Comment

.9 open three per game is not leaving someone open, alot.

Looking at the shooting numbers is not an indication of the game as a whole.
                              That's nearly 60% of his 3PAs, so agree to disagree I guess.

Scola is not stretching or spacing anything, in my opinion.

Comment

I think the biggest reason why his percentage is in the 40s is because teams are leaving him open from there. To top things off he's shooting most of them from the corner, the easiest 3 to make.

Remember our last starting PF? Amir? He shot a decent percentage too, and for the same reason IMO. Because they were leaving him open most of the time.
                                OG is our king

Comment

Working...
                                X