Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tweaking Next Years Roster in Light of Two First Rounders this Year.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tweaking Next Years Roster in Light of Two First Rounders this Year.

    As currently constructed the Raps have stuck with a pretty steady 9 man rotation. Of the 6 remaining spots we have allocated 5 to rooks, near rooks and a project. They are in no particular order of value Bebe, Bruno,Bennett, Powell and Wright. We also have one spot used for a utility player (JJ) that has value in that he is NBA ready and can fill in at the wing or as stop gap big for short periods of time. The rooks and projects based on PT so far.... aren't as ready to step in and play 25 mins a night for a 6 or 8 game stretch without showing why they are rooks and projects.

    IF a trade
    "We can grow the economy not from the top down the way Mr. Harper wants to... but from the heart outwards". ---- Justin Trudeau 2015

  • #2
    Scola, 2Pat and James Johnson are likely not going to be long-term fixtures here, assuming we're moving forwards trying to compete.

    To me it looks like the "key guys" or whatever are Lowry, DeMar, Jonas, Ross, Carroll, CoJo and perhaps Biyombo if we can steal him for the MLE in the offseason.

    Comment


    • #3
      Assuming the rest of the team stays in tact...

      If Biyombo is back then for me Bebe is an easy cut. The other is Bennett who's actually a UFA and can find a different team (or go to Europe if he can't find one).

      Comment


      • #4
        But I do suspect some kind of trade at the draft. That Toronto pick is unlikely to stay a Toronto pick in my opinion.

        Comment


        • #5
          JWash wrote: View Post
          Scola, 2Pat and James Johnson are likely not going to be long-term fixtures here, assuming we're moving forwards trying to compete.

          To me it looks like the "key guys" or whatever are Lowry, DeMar, Jonas, Ross, Carroll, CoJo and perhaps Biyombo if we can steal him for the MLE in the offseason.
          Fair point but the 9 man rotation will likely be NBA ready players. It would be difficult to see the Raps in a win now phase having a roster constructed of 7 rookies and projects with only 8 NBA ready rotation players who are capable of giving you 20 plus minutes a night.
          So of the 6 named you have cut JJ.. which of the rooks and project would you dump for the new picks ?
          "We can grow the economy not from the top down the way Mr. Harper wants to... but from the heart outwards". ---- Justin Trudeau 2015

          Comment


          • #6
            Scola and Johnson are expiring, and I doubt they'll be back next season.

            Bennett is in the same situation. I can only see him coming back for the minimum if the Raptors have an open roster spot when the dust settles, and every other team has passed him over.

            I also doubt Biyombo will be back. I fully expect him to opt-out of his player-option and seek a higher salary elsewhere, since Toronto has Bebe under contract/control for potentially several more seasons.

            That would leave the roster as follows:
            PG: Lowry, Joseph, Wright
            SG: DeRozan (player-option), Ross, Powell
            SF: Carroll, Bruno
            PF: Patterson
            C: Valanciunas, Bebe
            + 1st round pick
            + 1st round pick
            (12 players excluding DeRozan)

            I think some big changes are coming this offseason, whether it's on draft night or during the free agency period.
            Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jan 15, 2016, 05:44 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Consolidate 3 or 4 (Patterson, JJ, Powell, and/or a pick) into an upgrade at power forward. Sign Biz with MLE. Plead for Scola to stay for a small raise.

              Or trade up in the draft for the guy you want.

              Don't forget Daniels. I wouldn't be surprised if he's better than anyone at our own pick.

              Comment


              • #8
                CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                Scola and Johnson are expiring, and I doubt they'll be back next season.

                Bennett is in the same situation. I can only see him coming back for the minimum if the Raptors have an open roster spot when the dust settles, and every other team has passed him over.

                I also doubt Biyombo will be back. I fully expect him to opt-out of his player-option and seek a higher salary elsewhere, since Toronto has Bebe under contract/control for potentially several more seasons.

                That would leave the roster as follows:
                PG: Lowry, Joseph, Wright
                SG: DeRozan (player-option), Ross, Powell
                SF: Carroll, Bruno
                PF: Patterson
                C: Valanciunas, Bebe
                + 1st round pick
                + 1st round pick
                (12 players excluding DeRozan)

                I think some big changes are coming this offseason, whether it's on draft night or during the free agency period.
                The problem is player development. I am happy we have Raptors 905 but to truly develop into a solid NBA player you need minutes in the NBA. If we change coaches I will be more hopeful for rookies getting oppurtunities. If DC remains our coach we may want to look at moving a first round pick to aid in picking up a veteran PF who can step right in and play.

                Comment


                • #9
                  psrs1 wrote: View Post
                  The problem is player development. I am happy we have Raptors 905 but to truly develop into a solid NBA player you need minutes in the NBA. If we change coaches I will be more hopeful for rookies getting oppurtunities. If DC remains our coach we may want to look at moving a first round pick to aid in picking up a veteran PF who can step right in and play.
                  I was just responding to the OP, and I think my predictions could prove true regardless of what happens in the playoffs, with the coaching situation, or anything else. This isn't a thread about Casey, player development, or roster building strategies - it's about which players are most likely to be jettisoned after the season.

                  Johnson (expiring) hasn't really worked out and is a fringe rotation player at best.

                  Scola (expiring) is a grizzled veteran who was signed as a stop-gap measure.

                  Bennett (expiring) was signed for peanuts as a flier on a young Canadian prospect for the 15th roster spot.

                  Biyombo (player-option) has likely played himself into a better contract, and it's completely his call.

                  I think it's a no-brainer that those 4 are the most likely not to be back next season, with Johnson and Bennett technically being my answer to the OP's question (pick 2 of the 6 non-rotation players).
                  Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Jan 18, 2016, 12:04 PM.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X