Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens if 2016 playoffs is a repeat of 2014 and 2015?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens if 2016 playoffs is a repeat of 2014 and 2015?

Axel had a great post titled, Building a Contender on a Knife's Edge. As reflected in that post, the Raptors don't have a lot of margin for error in building this current team due to roster composition and salary commitments.

I have no idea at what point Masai looks to go in a different direction. But one would have to think 3 straight years of a (possible) first round knock out would have to warrant questioning on the direction of the franchise as currently constructed.

We did have the Messiah telling us in his introduction interview back in 2013 that he would not be a treadmill team and that half the league makes the playoffs - it is not something to be excited over.

So if the worst case scenario unfolds (Raptors losing in first round of playoffs) again this season, what would you do?

Blow it up a.k.a. tank?

Trade core member(s)? Lowry? DD? JV?

#FireCasey?

Find a new team?

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Comment

I think we would still need to resign dd, see if we can interest kd or horford, if not then make the moves to blow it up or get aggressive with some trades, but it can't come back the same exact team again.

Comment

fire casey. let dd walk, trade lowry and JV for younger players and picks

and go from there
        I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

I would think trading Lowry and DD would be on the table.

I'd give them a trial period under a new coach (basically until this time next year) and see if that new coach could elevate this group.

If I didn't see substantial improvement (not in terms of W/L, but in terms of on court play) then I'd be moving both of them likely.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

My suggestion would be:

1) not to pick up Casey's option.

2) build around DD and JV for the short term and see what happens.

3) trade Lowry.

*Primer made reference to this last week (DD+JV and trade Lowry)*

1 is self explanatory at this point - there are thousands of posts on the topic.

2 might be surprising to many but with the Raptors really not having much cap space to work with letting DD go, you can't let an asset go for nothing. If things continue to not work out, at least then you have him signed to a contract and you can trade him. A return like Joe Johnson for Atlanta or Pierce/Garnett for Boston would be very nice.

3 is tough to do but considering age, contract status, and state of a few teams around the league (I'm looking at you Orlando), he might be a very good trade chip. Also, he has shown for a bunch of seasons now he is an early season assassin but he struggles to maintain - now an argument could be made that he is being run in to the ground but he had injury issues before Casey. He is currently the heart and soul of the team so that is not a decision to be taken lightly. However, I think with a coach that preaches more than "take the ball and make something happen" CoJo is an adequate starter. Obviously you need to get much more talent at the PF if you trade Lowry and roll with Joseph.

Might have to take 1 or 2 steps back to be able to move forward.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              My suggestion would be:

3) trade Lowry.

1 is self explanatory at this point - there are thousands of posts on the topic.

2 might be surprising to many but with the Raptors really not having much cap space to work with letting DD go, you can't let an asset go for nothing. If things continue to not work out, at least then you have him signed to a contract and you can trade him. A return like Joe Johnson for Atlanta or Pierce/Garnett for Boston would be very nice.

3 is tough to do but considering age, contract status, and state of a few teams around the league (I'm looking at you Orlando), he might be a very good trade chip. Also, he has shown for a bunch of seasons now he is an early season assassin but he struggles to maintain - now an argument could be made that he is being run in to the ground but he had injury issues before Casey. He is currently the heart and soul of the team so that is not a decision to be taken lightly. However, I think with a coach that preaches more than "take the ball and make something happen" CoJo is an adequate starter. Obviously you need to get much more talent at the PF if you trade Lowry and roll with Joseph.

I'll co-sign this. Would be the most logical course of action if there's no progress in the playoffs.

Comment

MU better NOT bring back the same bunch of losers If we suck in the playoffs again
                Last edited by MACK11; Sat Jan 16, 2016, 07:10 PM.
                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                  MU better bring back the same bunch of losers If we suck in the playoffs again
                  I feel this post is missing a NOT - haha

Comment

My suggestion would be:

3) trade Lowry.

i feel like the return for lowry is not going to be better than lowry. so the team will not be as sgood, and im assuming we get are getting young guys and picks back. so the age difference between them, derozan and JV will be too large

at that point i think the best option would be to trade both of them

Comment

yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                      i feel like the return for lowry is not going to be better than lowry. so the team will not be as sgood, and im assuming we get are getting young guys and picks back. so the age difference between them, derozan and JV will be too large

at that point i think the best option would be to trade both of them
                      I disagree.

DD is 27 next season. JV is 24.

If you're getting young guys with upside on rookie deals (i.e. NBA experience), no reason they can't form a core with DD and JV, in my opinion.

Also, and I should have put this in my post, trading Lowry takes $18M off the cap for 2017. Raptors could position themselves to make a run at a top 2017 free agent. Ibaka maybe?

Comment

JV was recently drafted to the army so hopefully he's reading for tanking if it comes down to that next year

Anyway, I'd like to see Casey gone for someone who has the willingness to make adjustments when necessary. Someone without a veteran obsession would be nice too. If a new coach still doesn't work out then we can talk about moving players.
                        OG is our king

Comment

I disagree.

DD is 27 next season. JV is 24.

If you're getting young guys with upside on rookie deals (i.e. NBA experience), no reason they can't form a core with DD and JV, in my opinion.

Also, and I should have put this in my post, trading Lowry takes $18M off the cap for 2017. Raptors could position themselves to make a run at a top 2017 free agent. Ibaka maybe?
                          now that I am thinking about it, i guess you are right. building around dd, JV, and some top tier young guys could be a nice core to move forward.

I often forget DD is still 26, and JV is only 23

I just hope it doesnt come to this
                          Last edited by yabadabayolo; Sat Jan 16, 2016, 07:10 PM.

Comment

consmap wrote: View Post
                            JV was recently drafted to the army so hopefully he's reading for tanking if it comes down to that next year

Anyway, I'd like to see Casey gone for someone who has the willingness to make adjustments when necessary. Someone without a veteran obsession would be nice too. If a new coach still doesn't work out then we can talk about moving players.
                            Just thinking of JV in the army is hilarious. He'll prob fall off the tank 3 mins into battle
                            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

If it comes to that point, Casey will need to go and find himself another job.

Comment

Working...
                              X