Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens if the Raptors make it to the Eastern Conference Finals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens if the Raptors make it to the Eastern Conference Finals?

Sorry all the pessimistically toned threads are making me sad so I figured I'd make an optimistic one.

Raptors grab the 2 seed, steamroll Boston 4-1, then win a close series with Chicago in the second round 4-3. In the eastern Conference Finals we lose on a last second LeBron James 3 in game 7.

What would happen next, what would your plan be for the team moving forwards? What does Masai do?

Resign DD. Hire a new coach. Basically the status quo.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

This was a thread I was going to post in a couple of days.

Oh well.

Comment

If they make it that far I expect to double down on the current team, coach included. Casey gets his option picked up, DD is re-signed, we make a big consolidation trade to get a legit all star or borderline all star stretch PF at the cost of picks and prospects.

If they succeed, the path forward is obvious. That's why there's less discussion on it. The far more interesting question is what to do if they fail.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Why is it more interesting to think about what happens if they fail?

I really have no interest in seeing this team lose in the first round again lol.

All my teams suck. Manchester United is a joke. The Flames aren't ready yet. Minnesota just missed an easy FG to advance in the playoffs. I'd like the Raptors to not join that group of failure

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
            This was a thread I was going to post in a couple of days.

Oh well.
            It's funny because I was thinking of doing an all-in-one thread where we'd have scenarios A-F, ranging from play great & get deep to play like crap and lose first round.

Honestly, the worst thing that could happen would be for DD to get hurt and miss the playoffs. One way or another, we need to know enough to decide, so an Incomplete on the report card wouldn't help.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post

I really have no interest in seeing this team lose in the first round again lol.

All my teams suck. Manchester United is a joke. The Flames aren't ready yet. Minnesota just missed an easy FG to advance in the playoffs. I'd like the Raptors to not join that group of failure
              Not as much to discuss when the plan is stay the course.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                It's funny because I was thinking of doing an all-in-one thread where we'd have scenarios A-F, ranging from play great & get deep to play like crap and lose first round.

Honestly, the worst thing that could happen would be for DD to get hurt and miss the playoffs. One way or another, we need to know enough to decide, so an Incomplete on the report card wouldn't help.
                Uhhh... you wanna throw a little salt over your shoulder after saying that? Man these threads and posts lately are jinxing the heck out of this team.

Comment

Because the way forward when you have success is obvious - keep doing what you are doing, look for ways to improve without losing the success you already have (low risk moves). There are very few realistic options if you succeed. There are a million ways to go if you fail.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Uhhh... you wanna throw a little salt over your shoulder after saying that? Man these threads and posts lately are jinxing the heck out of this team.
                    Lol I'm not superstitious but for you...

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                      Not as much to discuss when the plan is stay the course.
                      There's plenty to discuss. Who could we go after? How do we get them? Which pieces currently on the team do we keep and which could be expendable in a deal. Do we trade some of the core still and try to consolidate them into a better player? What kind of pitch would we be able to make to the top free agents "Hey KD if you were there, that's you hitting that three and we're in the finals".

Why are we trying to make winning sound boring lol, the Raptors have never been to the conference finals before? There's still a lot that could be done even after progressing that far. Do we want to be the next Indiana where we get there two times and then flame out or how do we set ourselves to get over that hump (the hump being LeBron)?

Comment

There's plenty to discuss. Who could we go after? How do we get them? Which pieces currently on the team do we keep and which could be expendable in a deal. Do we trade some of the core still and try to consolidate them into a better player? What kind of pitch would we be able to make to the top free agents "Hey KD if you were there, that's you hitting that three and we're in the finals".

Why are we trying to make winning sound boring lol, the Raptors have never been to the conference finals before? There's still a lot that could be done even after progressing that far. Do we want to be the next Indiana where we get there two times and then flame out or how do we set ourselves to get over that hump (the hump being LeBron)?
                        Yeah but that basically sounds like every discussion since the season started.

"Trade X for PF Y"

Comment

Yeah, except if at the end of the season, we are looking to build on the strengths of the team and address their limitations as proven in the playoffs, we kind of need to know how those playoffs went to have the discussion with any real knowledge of what to address. So, utterly useless now. If we are blowing it up it is based entirely on the judgment of the types of player we have or target or the strategy we take with a re-tool, none of which is particularly dependent on the specific results of the playoffs a few months from now, unlike the answer to this thread.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                            Yeah, except if at the end of the season, we are looking to build on the strengths of the team and address their limitations as proven in the playoffs, we kind of need to know how those playoffs went to have the discussion with any real knowledge of what to address. So, utterly useless now. If we are blowing it up it is based entirely on the judgment of the types of player we have or target or the strategy we take with a re-tool, none of which is particularly dependent on the specific results of the playoffs a few months from now, unlike the answer to this thread.
                            Wouldn't it be the same the other way too though? I mean if we get swept by Orlando in a 2v7 I think the discussion is a bit different than if we lost a 4v5 to Chicago on a last second 3.

Comment

Now this is more like it. I say Masai trade JV/Ross for Al Horford.

KL/DD/DC/Horford/BB.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                              X