Measuring the D...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barolt wrote: View Post
    As a defensive question, given Casey's love for using JV/Biz offense/defense switches late game, why don't we do the same with Ross/DeMar?

While DeMar is an adequate defender, Ross can be a true lockdown guard. Given our difficulties defending the 3pt line this season, that would appear to have value in late game defensive situations, right?
    Casey's Biz/JV offence/defence switches are most often unnecessary, and are based on his own perception, not any real benefit.

Comment

As a defensive question, given Casey's love for using JV/Biz offense/defense switches late game, why don't we do the same with Ross/DeMar?

While DeMar is an adequate defender, Ross can be a true lockdown guard. Given our difficulties defending the 3pt line this season, that would appear to have value in late game defensive situations, right?
      I think Casey values players that know the system better then guys that are just better defensive players. It's why a guy like GV would play in crunch time minutes on the defensive end over someone like JJ.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
        Casey's Biz/JV offence/defence switches are based on his own perception, not any real benefit.
        I absolutely agree, I think that Ross/DD defense/offense switches could provide a real benefit though.
        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Well, even in a balanced approach, don't think Ross has been consistently good enough to warrant that.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I absolutely agree, I think that Ross/DD defense/offense switches could provide a real benefit though.
            Lol, no they couldn't.

Ross isn't a lockdown defender and it's debatable that he's even better than DD in that area, and certainly not by a large enough margin to take DeRozan's offense off the court for Ross' defense. That doesn't even make sense.

Comment

Talking about Ross like he's Jimmy Butler or Kawhi Leonard or something. He's not a high enough impact guy defensively that you take off your top scorer for him...... Jesus

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
                Lol, no they couldn't.

Ross isn't a lockdown defender and it's debatable that he's even better than DD in that area, and certainly not by a large enough margin to take DeRozan's offense off the court for Ross' defense. That doesn't even make sense.
                What Ross did to Bradley in the last two minutes of the game last night is something I don't think DD can provide. On DFG%, Ross is a full 14% better at defending the 3pt line than DeMar. And I was suggesting a defense/offense switch, I agree on DeMar's offense.

Comment

What Ross did to Bradley in the last two minutes of the game last night is something I don't think DD can provide. On DFG%, Ross is a full 14% better at defending the 3pt line than DeMar. And I was suggesting a defense/offense switch, I agree on DeMar's offense.
                  It's Avery Bradley for Pete's sake. He's scoring 14ppg on 52 TS% this year with a 102 oRTG... he's not a guy that you get excited about shutting down lol.

And Ross plays against bench units for the most part. They both measure out about average-ish in dRTG, dRPM an on-off defensive statistics (even though Ross plays against bench units). There's no definitive or significant upgrade defensively when switching out DeRozan for Ross lol.

You don't make a defense/offense substitution like that for such a key offensive player unless there is a significant upgrade defensively and the offensive guy is a liability. That's just not the case. It makes no sense that Casey does it for Biyombo/JV and it would make just as little sense if Casey started doing it for DD/Ross.

Comment

It's Avery Bradley for Pete's sake. He's scoring 14ppg on 52 TS% this year with a 102 oRTG... he's not a guy that you get excited about shutting down lol.

And Ross plays against bench units for the most part. They both measure out about average-ish in dRTG, dRPM an on-off defensive statistics (even though Ross plays against bench units). There's no definitive or significant upgrade defensively when switching out DeRozan for Ross lol.

You don't make a defense/offense substitution like that for such a key offensive player unless there is a significant upgrade defensively and the offensive guy is a liability. That's just not the case. It makes no sense that Casey does it for Biyombo/JV and it would make just as little sense if Casey started doing it for DD/Ross.
                    Via nyloncalculus, Ross is better offensively and defensively when playing against opposing starters. Ross' drtg via nba.com is 98.2, tied with CoJo for best on our team. He's third in the league in DFG%.

In January, Ross' Drtg is 95.1. DeMar's is 107.7. There's a difference.

Comment

Via nyloncalculus, Ross is better offensively and defensively when playing against opposing starters. Ross' drtg via nba.com is 98.2, tied with CoJo for best on our team. He's third in the league in DFG%.

I saw the first two words of this post and dyslexicized it to Valanciunas. Can we call him "via nyloncalculus"?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Thread derailed in under 2 hours. Nice work team.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

On the season Ross' dRTG is 106 and DeMar's is 107, you want to use a small sample size to discuss Ross' defense but ignore it when it comes to his shooting, it works both ways you have to look at body of work over a significant sample. They both have slightly negative dRPMs. Neither guy has amazing defensive on-off stats, neither guy is terrible either. It makes no sense to make a defensive/offensive switch when you're not bringing in a significant upgrade defensively for a liability.

Take, understand and value Ross for what he is. A great three point shooter who defends his man very well and is solid within team concepts. He's not a guy you take DeRozan off the floor for in key situations for defensive purposes. Because DeRozan is neither a liability defensively, nor is Ross a world-beating lockdown defender.

It makes absolutely no sense and is as illogical as the Biyombo/JV O/D substitutions that drive me nuts when I'm watching the games.

Comment

On the season Ross' dRTG is 106 and DeMar's is 107, you want to use a small sample size to discuss Ross' defense but ignore it when it comes to his shooting, it works both ways you have to look at body of work over a significant sample. They both have slightly negative dRPMs. Neither guy has amazing defensive on-off stats, neither guy is terrible either. It makes no sense to make a defensive/offensive switch when you're not bringing in a significant upgrade defensively for a liability.

Take, understand and value Ross for what he is. A great three point shooter who defends his man very well and is solid within team concepts. He's not a guy you take DeRozan off the floor for in key situations for defensive purposes. Because DeRozan is neither a liability defensively, nor is Ross a world-beating lockdown defender.

It makes absolutely no sense and is as illogical as the Biyombo/JV O/D substitutions that drive me nuts when I'm watching the games.
                            On nba.com, Ross' season Drtg is 98.2, DeMar's is 102.8.

http://stats.nba.com/team/#!/1610612...F_RATING&dir=1

Let's debate the same numbers at least.

My main point is that as long as Carroll is out, Ross should definitely be on the floor in crunch time situations, which he was against the Celtics, but wasn't in the previous 4 close games. JJ's defensive numbers just aren't as good as his defensive reputation, and Ross is unquestionably the closest thing we have to a lockdown wing right now.

Comment

On nba.com, Ross' season Drtg is 98.2, DeMar's is 102.8.

http://stats.nba.com/team/#!/1610612...F_RATING&dir=1

Let's debate the same numbers at least.

My main point is that as long as Carroll is out, Ross should definitely be on the floor in crunch time situations, which he was against the Celtics, but wasn't in the previous 4 close games. JJ's defensive numbers just aren't as good as his defensive reputation, and Ross is unquestionably the closest thing we have to a lockdown wing right now.
                              I was looking at basketballreference.

Yes with Carroll out Ross should be out there.... WITH DEROZAN unless there's a big wing that we need to match up with, but what you were referring to before was making an offensive/defensive substitution of Ross FOR DEROZAN similar to what Casey does with JV/Biyombo which makes absolutely no sense.

You are backpedaling on your initial point.

Comment

I was looking at basketballreference.

Yes with Carroll out Ross should be out there.... WITH DEROZAN unless there's a big wing that we need to match up with, but what you were referring to before was making an offensive/defensive substitution of Ross FOR DEROZAN similar to what Casey does with JV/Biyombo which makes absolutely no sense.

You are backpedaling on your initial point.
                                If for defense only, I'd much rather have Ross than DeMar on the floor in a crunch time situation, personally. I'm allowed to have an opinion too. I'm not a huge fan of offense/defense switches overall, but if we're going to employ them, there's more of a case for a DeMar/Ross one than a JV/Biz one.

Comment

Working...
                                X