Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think Again: Would You Give DeMar $22M+ for 5 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think Again: Would You Give DeMar $22M+ for 5 years?

A few of us have asked for this: So here it is ...

I picked a figure of $22M+ to go over the original poll number, but reflect the desire for some sort of discount (in exchange for a 5th year ... of pure DeRozan growth and bliss! )
    Yes - Because All Stars don't grow on Trees, dammit!
    88.00%
    NO! Demar's been better - but not THAT much better - so DON'T Tie up that kinda' money !!
    12.00%
    Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Thu Jan 21, 2016, 11:14 AM.

it won't be $22M. It will be a max starting at ~$25M or whatever the exact number is.

Comment

Yes but he's going to get paid more than that.

Comment

There won't be a discount.

It's a max contract. I don't love it because I don't love the way our team plays offense, but I've come to terms with it and he's a very good player. Whether it'll ever make us a title contender, we'll have to wait and see.
        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Barolt wrote: View Post
          There won't be a discount.

It's a max contract. I don't love it because I don't love the way our team plays offense, but I've come to terms with it and he's a very good player. Whether it'll ever make us a title contender, we'll have to wait and see.
          Personally don't think Demar is a #1 on a title contender. And definitely not with this coach. But maybe there are other ways to get to that point. If we keep Demar then Masai will have to be creative with the rest of his moves (not to say that's not the case even if he walks).

My main issue is maxing derozan is a "status quo" move... unless casey is gone.

Comment

I think there will be a discount.. maybe a minor one, but still a discount. Masai is pretty smart and DD seems loyal. $22M seems a bit low though.. I was thinking more like $25M flat per year for 4 years.. or something similar.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
              Yes but he's going to get paid more than that.
              I think a few of us felt that the original poll results were no longer reflective of the RR membership's opinion on the matter - so I upped the $ figure to make the point - but I think a few are still "sold" on our guy giving us a bit of a break.

Comment

Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                I think a few of us felt that the original poll results were no longer reflective of the RR membership's opinion on the matter - so I upped the $ figure to make the point - but I think a few are still "sold" on our guy giving us a bit of a break.
                A $13M break (4 year deal) or a $17M break (5 year deal)?

I dunno. I'd like to say I would do it if i were him, but tbh i probably wouldn't.

It's not as if we're the spurs, who have the championship pedigree.

Comment

Depends on how well the playoffs go, but I've come to accept that we are likely going to resign him to a large figure.

Now whether we keep moving forwards with that core....not an option on the poll and a conversation for another day (well thread really).
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                    A $13M break (4 year deal) or a $17M break (5 year deal)?

I don't know.
                    Well, it is "$22M plus" ...
                    Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Thu Jan 21, 2016, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Well, it is $22M+ ...
                      If DeRozan signed for $22M per year for 5 years with us he'd be taking about a $35M discount over 5 years or $7M per year on average. That's a massive ask. And might even be offensive for Masai to ask him to do that if the Lakers or Nets are on his doorstep at 12:01 on July 1st offering $27M per year over 4 years.

The 5yr/$125M flat-rate deal is probably the most reasonable "discount" we can expect him to take. $22M per year is certainly possible, but it'd be unprecedented for him to sign for that little assuming he keeps playing like this through the 2nd half of the season and playoffs.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
                        If DeRozan signed for $22M per year for 5 years with us he'd be taking about a $35M discount over 5 years or $7M per year on average. That's a massive ask. And might even be offensive for Masai to ask him to do that if the Lakers or Nets are on his doorstep at 12:01 on July 1st offering $27M per year over 4 years.

The 5yr/$125M flat-rate deal is probably the most reasonable "discount" we can expect him to take. $22M per year is certainly possible, but it'd be unprecedented for him to sign for that little assuming he keeps playing like this through the 2nd half of the season and playoffs.
                        where does $35M come from?

Did i screw up my math? It's 7.5% raises right? in which case $22M with annual raises isn't much different from $25M flat for 5 years.

Comment

Well, it is $22M+ ...
                          I am sure the PA and his agent as well shall have something to say if the discount is too large. They dont like diluting other players value (and the agent his commission ).

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                            I am sure the PA and his agent as well shall have something to say if the discount is too large. They dont like diluting other players value (and the agent his commission ).
                            I imagine the PA has a bigger issue with guys like David West leaving $12M in one season on the table. It's the mid-range guys who are most affected by and have the most effect on that kind of thing, not the stars.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                              where does $35M come from?

Did i screw up my math? It's 7.5% raises right? in which case $22M with annual raises isn't much different from $25M flat for 5 years.
                              Oh I was assuming he meant $22M/year so 5yr/$110M which would be $35M less than the max he's eligible for ~5yr/$145M

Comment

Working...
                              X