Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think Again: Would You Give DeMar $22M+ for 5 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I expect Masai to offer him the full max, if for no other reason than that if he doesn't, and LA comes in with a full max and the offer of filling Kobe's shoes, DeMar could feel insulted that we didn't extend the same.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

From the impression I get doesn't seem like DD values money all that much. I could see him taking a discount.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

One positive is that DeMar doesn't really have a big name agent, so I don't think we'll enter into a lengthy contract dispute. He's with Aaron Goodwin from Goodwin Sports Management. Only other high profile player with them is Lillard.

Comment

Yeah, 5/125 is probably what you hope for. Whether that is 25 flat or 22 with max raises (actually comes in at 126), not really important. If we are giving him a PO, I'd prefer the backloaded deal (to incentivize him opting in, or maximize savings if he opts out). But either way, you probably aren't getting him for less than 125M total guarantee.

I do disagree about the construct of the question though - I'd prefer if you just put yes or no, as I voted yes but not even remotely for the reason attached to yes.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Barolt wrote: View Post
            I expect Masai to offer him the full max, if for no other reason than that if he doesn't, and LA comes in with a full max and the offer of filling Kobe's shoes, DeMar could feel insulted that we didn't extend the same.
            I'd expect what is referred to as a "principled" negotiation - which involves Masai discussing what JV and Kyle have done and how any sort of "discount" might position the team (and DeMar) going forward. And as the negotiation might be had in the context of trying to sign other players (including rookies, Biz, FA's), maybe they settle on something that accomplishes multiple goals.

But I was impressed with DanH's discussion of a $25M starting figure massaged over 5 years, to match other GM's potential 4-year offers, while saving some $ and scaling for future flexibility.

But I think it's obvious that the RR membership has changed its view ... and I was getting awfully tired of looking at the former poll results. Misleading, now ...
            Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Thu Jan 21, 2016, 01:47 PM.

Comment

I don't want DeRo back.

As much as people don't claim this, Casey's contract will continue to exist as long as DeRozan's around. Our offense is built for him to put up the best numbers possible, and he's done that.

Letting DD go allows us to get other key FA's at SG or draft a SG whose NBA-ready with the NYK/DEN pick.
              Axel wrote:
              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
              KeonClark wrote:
              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
              KeonClark wrote:
              I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

isnt this already a thread?

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post
                  isnt this already a thread?
                  The old thread was attached to an outdated poll. If you clicked on it now, it does not look relevant. Time for an update. That said, if we were going to update it, we might as well update the numbers to what it will be (the max)

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                    I imagine the PA has a bigger issue with guys like David West leaving $12M in one season on the table. It's the mid-range guys who are most affected by and have the most effect on that kind of thing, not the stars.
                    I beg to differ. What West did has been going on for a while now...chasing a ring at the end of their careers at the vet minimum. Understandable and short term. It is precisely the "star" f/a signing that they would be concerned about (on the discounting) since that sets a bench mark number for others.

I know that the MLB pa has been quite open about this stance and they are the gold standard which all sports unions seek to aspire to.

Comment

Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                      A few of us have asked for this: So here it is ...

I picked a figure of $22M+ to go over the original poll number, but reflect the desire for some sort of discount (in exchange for a 5th year ... of pure DeRozan growth and bliss! )
                      He's going to get it. Whether or not he is worth it is debatable. If we cannot land another superstar in FA then I would be less concerned about overpaying DD . But if this contract limits our ability to sign other FA's or make roster moves then I would say it don't do it. The point is mute as I'll bet he has a gentleman's agreement in place with MU.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                        I beg to differ. What West did has been going on for a while now...chasing a ring at the end of their careers at the vet minimum. Understandable and short term. It is precisely the "star" f/a signing that they would be concerned about (on the discounting) since that sets a bench mark number for others.

I know that the MLB pa has been quite open about this stance and they are the gold standard which all sports unions seek to aspire to.
                        I don't really think that's true.

The stars will get the max, regardless, unless they want to take a discount to sign other players.

I see no evidence that superstar contracts have set any benchmark for average players.

On the other hand, when guys like West, who have lots to offer still, take the minimum, it's one less spot for Joe AveragePlayer to earn his league average contract.

The players union's "ideal outcome" theoretically would be for every player to be earning the same salary, and that it be as high as possible.
                        Last edited by KHD; Thu Jan 21, 2016, 04:20 PM.

Comment

I answered "yes" simply to retain DeRozan as an asset. We can't let Bosh happen all over again.

#TradeExceptionsDontMeanShit

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                            I don't really think that's true.

The stars will get the max, regardless, unless they want to take a discount to sign other players.

I see no evidence that superstar contracts have set any benchmark for average players.

On the other hand, when guys like West, who have lots to offer still, take the minimum, it's one less spot for Joe AveragePlayer to earn his league average contract.

The players union's "ideal outcome" theoretically would be for every player to be earning the same salary, and that it be as high as possible.
                            You are right about the bold. For some reason I did not take into account that MLB has no cap...and it is that which they protect so strictly.

Comment

i would give him 22-25m 10/10 times

most realistic signing will be

25.6/5=128m
                              26.5/4=106m
                              27/3 = 81m

24.6/5=123m (last year PO)
                              Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

Option 3

No

Please if you're going to add a poll, make sure you cover all the answers. Not just the ones you like

Comment

Working...
                                X