No announcement yet.

Game #51: Toronto Raptors @ Detroit Pistons - Feb. 8/16 7:30 PM EST on SN1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BB would be an idiot to leave money on the table this summer. When do role players do that unless they're well over 30 and chasing a ring? The window for a guy like this to sign contracts and earn his money is very short. These guys want to set themselves and their families up for life off a limited set of opportunities to sign contracts.

The whole leaving money on the table thing is talked about way more often than it happens anyway, even at the superstar level or with one-legged ring chasing vets like Mike Miller.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
      BB would be an idiot to leave money on the table this summer. When do role players do that unless they're well over 30 and chasing a ring? The window for a guy like this to sign contracts and earn his money is very short. These guys want to set themselves and their families up for life off a limited set of opportunities to sign contracts.

The whole leaving money on the table thing is talked about way more often than it happens anyway, even at the superstar level or with one-legged ring chasing vets like Mike Miller.
      I wasn't saying that he should leave money on the table, just that he might elect to take a little bit less in what he feels like a better situation. I'm not inside the guy's head, but it's a possibility.

Obviously I have no issue with guys taking more money elsewhere, since financially that's a better decision, but sometimes there are other factors that might be stronger motivators than money especially if it's not a huge difference.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
        Another thing I don't get this "Bizmack Biz-ness" is that he was already given such a cheap contract for this level of production. He's not having a career season or anything. I don't see any team giving him more than 6 mil. Sure the cap is exploding, but worst case he earns twice as much as he did last year.. still pretty reasonable asking price with the MLE.
        Because Charlotte didn't trust him as backup C, so neither did other teams but we decided to take a chance on him. He's already played nearly the same minutes this year as he did all of last year, and he's setting some career best numbers. Things that will push Biyombo's next deal higher:

1.) His success as a starter while JV was out. He averaged 6.3 pts, 11.6 reb, 1.8 blk, 3.1 FTA, in 29.4 minutes over 18 games

2.) His rebounds and FT% are at career high's (13.1 reb/36 and .669 FT%). He's 7th in reb/36 amongst players with more than 700 minutes played and he's no longer a liability at the FT line. He's 29th in reb/g in the NBA despite playing only 22.5 min/g.

3.) His defense looks better than ever, and not just a flashy shot blocker.

4.) He had some monster games. 6 double-doubles, including games with 20, 18, 16, 15, and 14 rebounds.

He does all of this with an 11.6 USG%, that's a guy you can plug into any lineup that needs defense and rebounding from the center position. If you have a starting lineup with a lot of scorers, you can start Biyombo, and if you have a center who is a defensive liability, Biyombo is a very valuable 1st big off the bench.

With so many teams having so much cap space, and only so many top players to go around, Biyombo is going to be a nice consolation prize for someone. I'd be shocked if he only gets the MLE or close to it, and I think that $9-10M range is pretty realistic (Ross just got $11M per year!).

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
          Sorry but this makes absolutely zero sense.

There's no need to sell on Bismack unless it's a move to make the team better, just getting an asset for him is pointless because it'd probably just be a 2nd round pick coming back or mediocre prospect. We need him to play backup center for us, plus it's still possible that he could be re-signed for the MLE depending on how much he wants to be in Toronto. Remember he has a very good relationship with Masai and may be willing to take $5M per year to be in a comfortable, winning environment (especially if we make a deep run) rather than get $6-7M somewhere else to be on a weak team.
          Again, my point was based on the premise that Masai determines resigning BB will be impossible. In that case, you consider moving him if it's possible to get value back for him. And I wasn't thinking of something like a simple swap for a pick, more along the lines of him being part of a bigger deal.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
            So if it's basically a forgone conclusion that Biz can't be resigned, Masai has to be thinking very hard about trading him.
            Why would you want to move a key bench piece just for the sake of moving him lol

A second round pick/shitty prospect that at best will be what biyombo is now isn't worth trading one of your most important pieces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Again, my point was based on the premise that Masai determines resigning BB will be impossible. In that case, you consider moving him if it's possible to get value back for him. And I wasn't thinking of something like a simple swap for a pick, more along the lines of him being part of a bigger deal.
              Not worth destroying our playoff chances for a 2nd round pick. We're gonna ride Bismack off into the championship sunset.

Comment

• As far as BB, there is also the matter of fit. Early in the year he was a disaster and people were rightly pointing out we were playing 4 on 5 offensively when he was on the court. He's now part of of one of the most effective 5 man units in the NBA. How many other teams can utilize him that well?
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                  We're gonna ride Bismack off into the championship sunset.
                  Ah somehow I did not figure that certainty into my calculus.

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                  As far as BB, there is also the matter of fit. Early in the year he was a disaster and people were rightly pointing out we were playing 4 on 5 offensively when he was on the court. He's now part of of one of the most effective 5 man units in the NBA. How many other teams can utilize him that well?
                  My personal opinion is that the effectiveness of that unit has much more to do with the other four players.

Regardless, I'm not even saying we should trade him. Just wondering out loud about whether Masai would be thinking about moving him, at this moment.
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Ah somehow I did not figure that certainty into my calculus.

My personal opinion is that the effectiveness of that unit has much more to do with the other four players.

Regardless, I'm not even saying we should trade him. Just wondering out loud about whether Masai would be thinking about moving him, at this moment.
                    Lou Will was kept at the deadline last year (although we don't know if he was dangled or not). Unless it's a big upgrade (Biyombo+2Pat for Horford for example), he'll be here until the end of the year in my opinion.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                      Lou Will was kept at the deadline last year (although we don't know if he was dangled or not). Unless it's a big upgrade (Biyombo+2Pat for Horford for example), he'll be here until the end of the year in my opinion.
                      I think he will too.
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• if casey has a say in personnel the it would be a huge surprise to me if biyombo was traded

Comment

Working...
                        X