Time to take the Raptors Seriously - a piece by SI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scraptor wrote: View Post
    If we lose in the first round (with no further injuries) I would argue that Masai should probably be fired too. Most will disagree but ultimately he is the one who chose to build around this core and to retain Casey. It's not worth debating at this juncture though, as there are still too many variables in play between now and this summer.

Great to see us getting so much media coverage now.
    I wouldn't fire Masai, because he's done a great job putting us in a position where we can win, but if we don't, we aren't in tank mode because we have the young assets to retool immediately.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

I'd say move the team to Japan if we lose.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        Casey has talked about Lowrys minutes a lot....then proceeds to play him 38 regardless.

I hope Lowry holds up.

One thing I hope after this season: no excuses.
        OMG there are like 40 games left, back er up about 15-20% on the doomsday minutes conspiracy.

These guys are more than fine

Comment

As far as expectations.

You guys need to reflect on what this team is. is it built, as is, for a deep run? I don't think it is. Demarre Carrol isn't what he was advertised as, it was a weak FA offseason. He does what he does....if and when he returns, but this guys isn't winning you games. Joseph is a massive upgrade, I like him, but again, he isn't top talent yet.

Your rolling with basically two guys, stars... both Guards. And this is nice, but in the playoffs, your bigs win it for you with dirty ball and defence. Is JV even close to being what he needs to be yet? Nope, likely 1-2 seasons away from that. BB, while being a pretty nice horror show on defence, isn't doing a lot on the offensive end.... he's a role guy to the tenth degree.

So.

What you have is a really good team. But, a really "new at being good" team. They aren't there yet, they might get a series, or even two. But if they don't, (unless they bow out in 4 straight) I'm personally not gonna be panicking as a fan. Parity in the East is pretty high, it wouldn't be a super upset for 6 to take down 2.

All this talk of heads rolling, fire this guy, trade that guy, let this guy walk, yadda yadda..... I dunno...seems a bit silly to me.

Comment

I think it would be pretty shocking if the six seed took down the second in the fist round, since the second seed plays the seventh seed. But that's just me.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Be that guy Dan, you know the guy, the guy that used to interrupt the class to correct the teacher when he made a mistake on the board when EVERYONE knew what he meant.

Be him, everyone just LOVES him.

Comment

Nice piece of writing.

SBNation wrote something similar about us just 13 months ago though.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                  As far as expectations.

You guys need to reflect on what this team is. is it built, as is, for a deep run? I don't think it is. Demarre Carrol isn't what he was advertised as, it was a weak FA offseason. He does what he does....if and when he returns, but this guys isn't winning you games. Joseph is a massive upgrade, I like him, but again, he isn't top talent yet.

Your rolling with basically two guys, stars... both Guards. And this is nice, but in the playoffs, your bigs win it for you with dirty ball and defence. Is JV even close to being what he needs to be yet? Nope, likely 1-2 seasons away from that. BB, while being a pretty nice horror show on defence, isn't doing a lot on the offensive end.... he's a role guy to the tenth degree.

So.

What you have is a really good team. But, a really "new at being good" team. They aren't there yet, they might get a series, or even two. But if they don't, (unless they bow out in 4 straight) I'm personally not gonna be panicking as a fan. Parity in the East is pretty high, it wouldn't be a super upset for 6 to take down 2.

All this talk of heads rolling, fire this guy, trade that guy, let this guy walk, yadda yadda..... I dunno...seems a bit silly to me.
                  You definitely need to get out of the first round. I wouldn't say we're "new at being good", we're slightly better than we were the last 2 years.

Carroll is the biggest reason that Atlanta went from great to good imo. We shall see his true worth if and when he's defending lebron and butler for a series.

I think a majority of people have their expectations in check. Should hope for the 3rd round, be content with the 2nd round, and out of this world happy if we got out of the east. First round exit, 3 straight years of home court advantage? You 110% need a new coach and reevaluate your pieces a lot.
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                    I would think it would be silly to lose in 3 straight playoffs as the higher seed and to maintain the same core group of players and Head Coach.

If we lose in ECF, then that is a different story. Second round would even be debatable depending on the circumstance (in that case, you might see players stay but coaching change for one last surge before deciding on Lowry long term).
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Not after today
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Thanks, SI.

Comment

SI just jinxed us. we are back to zero.

Comment

Working...
                          X