1st round PLAYOFF MATCHUPS - desired and worst matchups for the raps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st round PLAYOFF MATCHUPS - desired and worst matchups for the raps

After the allstar break, with the end of the season now in sight, I'm wondering what matchups you think might give us troubles? and which would be the preferred matchup to get the momentum going and to move past that first round finally.

As of now seeds/potential playoff teams sit in the standings

1 Cleveland
    2 Toronto
    3 Boston
    4 Atlanta
    5 Miami
    6 Indiana
    7 Charlotte
    8 Chicago
    9 Detroit
    10 Washington

Lets assume with injuries and other factors, theres a multitude of possibilities. I'll exclude the 11th Orlando, because even if they do make the cut I don't think they pose much of a threat.

I would say prior to Bosh's uncertainty that Miami is not a team we favourably matchup with, given that Whiteside keeps us out of the paint, Winslow's wing defence and the vets always seem to come out against the raptors when it counts.

Detroit would provide a lot of entertainment, Washington would be great just for the rivalry factor.

With all this being said, I don't necessarily think we want just an easy pass in the first round just to get into the 2nd round. It's better to have this team put to the test to fairly assess what direction we may be headed. But, which team would you want to see in the first round?
    in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Here's how I think we stack up:
    Cleveland - 2nd round or later, we lose in 6 due to talent
    Boston - 2nd round or later, we win in 5 or 6 due to talent
    Atlanta - 2nd round or later, we lose in 7 due to talent/coaching
    Miami - 1st round, we win in 6 if no Bosh due to talent
    Indiana - 1st or 2nd round, we win in 6 or maybe 7, our talent is better but their coaching is better
    Charlotte - 1st round (though I don't think they make the playoffs), we in in 5 or 6
    Chicago - 1st round, we lose in 7 due to poor matchups
    Detroit - 1st round, we win in 6 due to experience
    Washington - 1st round, we lose in 6 or 7 due to matchups

So of the 6 possible first round matchups, I think the only two we'd lose are Chicago and Washington. The others are all definitely beatable. If we get Boston in the 2nd round, we can make the ECF. Indy is 50/50. If not, we likely cap out with a 2nd round exit.
    Last edited by Scraptor; Fri Feb 19, 2016, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
      Here's how I think we stack up:
      Cleveland - 2nd round or later, we lose in 6 due to talent
      Boston - 2nd round or later, we win in 5 or 6 due to talent
      Atlanta - 2nd round or later, we lose in 7 due to talent/coaching
      Miami - 1st round, we win in 6 if no Bosh due to talent
      Indiana - 1st or 2nd round, we win in 6 or maybe 7, our talent is better but their coaching is better
      Charlotte - 1st round (though I don't think they make the playoffs), we in in 5 or 6
      Chicago - 1st round, we lose in 7 due to poor matchups
      Detroit - 1st round, we win in 6 due to experience
      Washington - 1st round, we lose in 6 or 7 due to matchups

So of the 6 possible first round matchups, I think the only two we'd lose are Chicago and Washington. The others are all definitely beatable. If we get Boston in the 2nd round, we can make the ECF. Indy is 50/50. If not, we likely cap out with a 2nd round exit.
      garbage. lose because of, win in spite of. garbage

Comment

I will resist the urge to tempt fate

Comment

I'm hoping for a Pistons matchup. Home court advantage the entire series

Comment

Part of me doesn't want to be the higher seed because of the fact that they seem to always do a half-a**ed job against inferior teams.

Comment

I'd like to see Chicago or Miami as a first round opponent. I want to see if this team is legit and facing a veteran laden team and beating them speaks more to me than facing a team that's just happy to be there (like Detroit or Charlotte).

If they lose, well then Masai has to make moves to get better and those moves should be easier to figure out.

Comment

We were the favourite in our last two Playoff matches. We have one of the BEST home court advantages in the league. We lost both times as the favourite and with home court advantage. There's no desired match up. There's no worse match up. It's just WIN at this point. Doesn't matter who.

With that said; only team that might be the exception is Chicago and that's strictly because they might be a lower seed than they actually deserve to be strictly as the result of key injuries.
                "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

If we want to advance past the first round I think we need to get one of Miami(only if Bosh is out), Detroit(as of right now...but Drummond/Jackson scares the shit outta me), and I think we can beat Indy.

I do not see this team beating any other one of the options.

Cleveland
                  Atlanta
                  Boston
                  Charlotte
                  Washington

They all beat us, imo.

Comment

We beat BOS, in my opinion, though it may well be a bloodbath. Charlotte too. Washington easily, unless Lowry is hurt again like last year (though that rule applies no matter who we face). Frankly I'd pick us against ATL too. CLE and CHI are the two scary teams in my mind. MIA could be trouble if Bosh plays, too. Indy and DET should be easy, in theory.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

It all comes down to whether we play our best basketball. If rotations are fixed, and our top players maintain their focus on efficiency and moving the ball (to the extent that they have so far), we should be winning in the first round. Definitely.

After that it really comes down to match ups.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

i'd like to see them play a good team. no more excuses.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

honestly, if we don't make the ECF i'd rather just lose in the first round. let MU tear this thing apart.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

koncept wrote: View Post
                            But, which team would you want to see in the first round?
                            I want to see a healthy Toronto team. Doesn't matter the opponent, the most important thing is the Raptors keeping it going until April. (short lulls because of rest are excepted and accepted)

Not saying there's a free pass out there, but I won't start fretting any of this stuff before tip off of Game 1 - unless they give me a good reason to.
                            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

i think we can defeat anyone whos currently a probable first round matchup except chicago and charoletee

not because i think those teams are better than us, but because theyve always had the raptors number. We can never find ways to defeat them
                              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Working...
                              X