Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors waive AB, sign Jason Thompson

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nice WORK Masai. Is this who the Wiz were targeting?

    Comment


    • Only one rook drafted before Delon has seen such minimal playing time (not counting Sam Dekker) . Brad Stevens has played 16th pick Terry Rozier all of 112 minutes.
      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

      Comment


      • This.
        @Chr1st1anL

        Comment


        • I view this as another example of Masai taking every possible excuse away from Casey not being successful in the playoffs.

          In the off-season, MU got rid of GV and Lou (the root of all evil) and loaded up on 2-way defensive-minded guys. He's taken away the burden of developing young players, so Casey's squarely on the hotseat to deliver a solid playoff run. He;s also provided defensive reinforcements (Cojo, Delon, Powell) and a deep bench so that Lowry and DD can be well rested. High level assistant coaches have been added.

          Although finishing 2nd overall in the conference really benefits Casey's regular season coaching resume should he get fired, it has also served to raise the expectation of what success in the playoffs looks like. A first-round series win is now a given. A second-round win is expected. Absolute worst-case now would be to lose in 7 games in a hard-fought series in the 2nd round. All excuses have been removed by Masai for Casey.

          Comment


          • Primer wrote: View Post
            JV was out for 17 straight games. During that span, Bebe played in only 9 games, and got 15 minutes or more in only 3 games, which were consecutive. Sort of like a tryout for the backup center position. Over those 3 games Bebe averaged:

            19 MIN, 12-14 FG, 0.857 FG%, 8 PTS, 4 REB, 1 AST, +/- Positive in every game

            Culminating in a standout performance against Golden State:

            24:50 MIN, 7-9 FG, 0.778 FG%, 14 PTS, 4 REB, 3 AST, 1 STL

            Bebe was rewarded by not playing in the next 3 games. JV was out for 10 more games after the GSW game. Bebe only got PT in 5 of them. There is no rhyme or reason to this development pattern.

            Considering that both Derozan and Ross can play the 3 for stretches, and that our starting PF Demarre Carroll has only played in 23 games, we should have had some minutes available for Wright in 2 PG lineups and Powell as the 2nd wing (he's another guy that can also play some SF), particularly for Wright as he was an NBA ready 1st round pick. A slight decrease in Lowry, DD, and CoJo minutes, plus some of JJ's minutes, and you've got 10-15 minutes per game to give to a rookie. Wright looked really good in his one chance at real playing time when we rested Lowry, imagine how good he'd look right now if we had been playing him 10-15 per game the entire time Carroll's been out.
            i feel like you completely ignored the part where bebe got injured during that span, so he couldnt play at all....
            I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

            Comment


            • Barolt wrote: View Post
              Myles Turner is the one for me that proves the point.

              He's been such a huge part of Indiana staying relevant this year, and if they hadn't played him significant minutes, not only would they not know he's this good, they wouldn't be in the playoff race.
              yea, but i dont see how giving delon wright pt is the difference between us making the playoffs and not

              but yea, myles turner totaly proves the point. while he started off the year playing behind the great mahimi, and delon has been playing behind the shtshow which is lowry and cojo. delon totally deserves minutes over these guys, just like turner did

              //pink
              Last edited by yabadabayolo; Tue Mar 1, 2016, 10:52 PM.
              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

              Comment


              • yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                i feel like you completely ignored the part where bebe got injured during that span, so he couldnt play at all....
                You mean Bebe was also injured the first 3 games after JV was injured? (not including the one where he was injured)

                And in the fourth game where he logged 5:59

                It literally took a WEEK for Dwayne Casey to make the appropriate lineup adjustment that should have been a half second decision.
                Last edited by OldSkoolCool; Tue Mar 1, 2016, 11:16 PM.

                Comment


                • yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                  yea, but i dont see how giving delon wright pt is the difference between us making the playoffs and not

                  but yea, myles turner totaly proves the point. while he started off the year playing behind the great mahimi, and delon has been playing behind the shtshow which is lowry and cojo. delon totally deserves minutes over these guys, just like turner did

                  //pink
                  So short sighted. Bleh.

                  You develop players while winning so that you can

                  1) Rest players
                  2) Handle injuries
                  3) Be better next year
                  4) Create a sustainable franchise

                  Or you could tank their development and screw yourself long term for a couple of -maybe- extra wins

                  Sounds pretty stupid to me

                  Comment


                  • Raptors waive AB, sign Jason Thompson

                    OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                    So short sighted. Bleh.

                    You develop players while winning so that you can

                    1) Rest players
                    2) Handle injuries
                    3) Be better next year
                    4) Create a sustainable franchise

                    Or you could tank their development and screw yourself long term for a couple of -maybe- extra wins

                    Sounds pretty stupid to me
                    I feel consistent d league minutes is far more beneficial than 5-10 mins every now and then. That way your developing young players by not sacrificing wins

                    Similar to what the Spurs have been doing since forever


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

                    Comment


                    • A lot of people here seem to think there is a bible or law that dictates, that the only way to develop young players is to give them significant NBA gametime.

                      Gonna ask if y'all watch other sports? Saw a bunch of Manchester United kids come in and light up Arsenal last weekend. They had gotten exactly ZERO first team minutes and were only training with the academy (the soccer equivalent of the d-league sort of... not a 1:1 relationship).

                      Comment


                      • yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                        I feel consistent d league minutes is far more beneficial than 5-10 mins every now and then. That way your developing young players by not sacrificing wins

                        Similar to what the Spurs have been doing since forever


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Hahaha

                        The Spurs pretty much encapsulates everything I have posted here about player development

                        2015-2016 Season:

                        Anderson - 796 min - 2nd year
                        McCallum - 256 - 3rd year (first two on SAC)
                        Simmons - 631 min - R (injury)
                        Boban - 309 min - R

                        2014-2015 Season

                        Anderson - 358 min - R

                        2013-2014 Season

                        DeColo - 301 - 2nd year (26 GP before being traded to TO - where Casey didn't play him)
                        Joseph - 936 - 3rd year

                        2012-2013 Season

                        DeColo - 920 min - R
                        Joseph - 388 min - 2nd year

                        2011-2012 Season

                        Cory Joseph - 266 min - R (Still double all Raptors mins)
                        Leonard - 1534 min - R (not a high pick with limited offense...now a superstar)

                        No in all those years they have been competitive...and hell, this year they have given approximately 2000 minutes to young guys and they are putting up a HISTORICAL season

                        So please...this whole "can't win and develop players" thing is such bullshit. I don't buy it and the evidence says you shouldn't either

                        Comment


                        • ogi wrote: View Post
                          There really isn't any way to prove that playing guys high minutes in the d league and sparingly in the NBA is a bad way to develop players. This is literally what the d-league was created for
                          Just posted this but look at pro soccer. This is how teams develop young players in that sport, through their academy systems not by throwing them into the fire right away. And sometimes that shit REALLY pays off, and by the team you actually need them at the senior level they're ready to go. Shoutout to Marcus Rashford.

                          Comment


                          • OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                            Hahaha

                            The Spurs pretty much encapsulates everything I have posted here about player development

                            2015-2016 Season:

                            Anderson - 796 min - 2nd year
                            McCallum - 256 - 3rd year (first two on SAC)
                            Simmons - 631 min - R (injury)
                            Boban - 309 min - R

                            2014-2015 Season

                            Anderson - 358 min - R

                            2013-2014 Season

                            DeColo - 301 - 2nd year (26 GP before being traded to TO - where Casey didn't play him)
                            Joseph - 936 - 3rd year

                            2012-2013 Season

                            DeColo - 920 min - R
                            Joseph - 388 min - 2nd year

                            2011-2012 Season

                            Cory Joseph - 266 min - R (Still double all Raptors mins)
                            Leonard - 1534 min - R (not a high pick with limited offense...now a superstar)

                            No in all those years they have been competitive...and hell, this year they have given approximately 2000 minutes to young guys and they are putting up a HISTORICAL season

                            So please...this whole "can't win and develop players" thing is such bullshit. I don't buy it and the evidence says you shouldn't either
                            First of all Boban is 27, he's a rookie in the same way Pablo Prigioni was.

                            Second of all I want to point out that in 2013-14, we played two second year players over 2000 minutes. Which is more than anything you've listed there. We also have 3 guys who are still on rookie contracts logging heavy minutes right now.

                            Comment


                            • You don't develop in games, games simply allow you to showcase the results or progress of your development.

                              We've all played sports here, should know that practice off the court is where you get better. Or do people think Bruno would be better off getting 5-10 minutes on our bench, not knowing what he's doing or learning how to become a much better basketball player by logging serious playing time in the D-League?

                              Comment


                              • JWash wrote: View Post
                                You don't develop in games, games simply allow you to showcase the results or progress of your development.

                                We've all played sports here, should know that practice off the court is where you get better. Or do people think Bruno would be better off getting 5-10 minutes on our bench, not knowing what he's doing or learning how to become a much better basketball player by logging serious playing time in the D-League?
                                A huge part of developing is playing at game speed, and playing against competition as good or better than you. No amount of shooting in the gym or dribbling around your practice partners or some wooden dummy can replicate that
                                It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X