No announcement yet.

Raptors waive AB, sign Jason Thompson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So two former number one overall picks get waived in the same year... that's gotta be a first.

Don't really think this moves the dial too much. The funny thing is that Thompson has no playoff experience at all. He would have his shot with GSW before they waived him.

As for minutes.. I suspect nothing much will change unless Casey rests Scola for a game or two down the stretch.

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
      A little bit. I would have imagined they wouldn't want to bring in players that don't have the ability to hit 3's. Could have gone with Ronald Roberts (as was rumoured) if they were looking for another Forward. Perhaps they wanted someone who is more NBA tested?
      Jason Thompson as recently as last year was a good contributor at the nba level. Definitely think that figured into it, we don't need any more garbage minutes prospects
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

The only thing that's saving us is Thompson is a veteran so Casey will have a little more trust in him than if we brought in a young big
        I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Thompson will probably get Bennett's minutes, so mostly DNP-CDs and sometimes a few minutes of playing time.

Comment

I think a Dorell Wright signing would've made a little more sense. Plays both the 3 and the 4 and can shoot.

Comment

Can't see Thompson changing anything whatsoever for Casey. He'll get minutes if there's a significant injury to Scola or Patterson, or if either are in foul trouble. That's it.

We're still the exact same team from 1-10 on the roster.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                Can't see Thompson changing anything whatsoever for Casey. He'll get minutes if there's a significant injury to Scola or Patterson, or if either are in foul trouble. That's it.

We're still the exact same team from 1-10 on the roster.
                I think that's what a lot of people like about the move - we add a better piece at the back end of the roster (no one is under the illusion this will move the needle) while not grieving up any of our 1-10 guys. In other words, our depth has improved
                A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

I just hope JT gets some time.... lets say about 10 minutes a game. Scola gets around the same, leaving 28 minutes for Patt approx.
                  Axel wrote:
                  Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Cody73 wrote: View Post
                    I just hope JT gets some time.... lets say about 10 minutes a game. Scola gets around the same, leaving 28 minutes for Patt approx.
                    Exactly. You can still play Scola but just A LOT less. Give him like 10 mins a game as you said just to keep him happy and the rest go to JT and Patterson. If Scola for some crazy reason is having a good game then you give him more mins. If not then that's it. % mins to start the game and 5 mins to start the 3rd and that's it lol. Will never happen but one can hope
                    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

lol some of you are relentless. My God. Who exactly (prior to the JT addition) would you have had Casey play at the 4? Sure Scola has been shitting the bed but the team has still won the most games in the Eastern Conference since the new year. And Patterson is eating the bulk of the minutes at the 4 spot anyway. Can't blame Casey for not wanting to mess up the roll the bench is on. Thompson will come in, eat up Scolas minutes and hopefully give Scola the rest he so obviously needs to become the player he was in the first 2 months of the season.

Enough with the BS Casey bashing. This team is over achieving, and today is ranked the 3rd best team in the NBA in most power rankings. For a franchise that has nothing positive to speak of, some of you sure do know how to shit on a good time.
                      Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                      Because its 2015

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                        Exactly. You can still play Scola but just A LOT less. Give him like 10 mins a game as you said just to keep him happy and the rest go to JT and Patterson. If Scola for some crazy reason is having a good game then you give him more mins. If not then that's it. % mins to start the game and 5 mins to start the 3rd and that's it lol. Will never happen but one can hope
                        I'd pput Luis in for 2 reasons:

1. Patt's shot ain't falling

2. JT and Patt need the rest.
                        Axel wrote:
                        Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Thompson will take JV's minutes in Casey's world.

Comment

Cody73 wrote: View Post
                            I'd pput Luis in for 2 reasons:

1. Patt's shot ain't falling

2. JT and Patt need the rest.
                            I wouldn't play Scola at all just as you're saying. Completely agree. But I know Casey will not do that and he will not bring Scola off the bench so I'm trying to think of the most realistic solution.

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                              lol some of you are relentless. My God. Who exactly (prior to the JT addition) would you have had Casey play at the 4? Sure Scola has been shitting the bed but the team has still won the most games in the Eastern Conference since the new year. And Patterson is eating the bulk of the minutes at the 4 spot anyway. Can't blame Casey for not wanting to mess up the roll the bench is on. Thompson will come in, eat up Scolas minutes and hopefully give Scola the rest he so obviously needs to become the player he was in the first 2 months of the season.

Enough with the BS Casey bashing. This team is over achieving, and today is ranked the 3rd best team in the NBA in most power rankings. For a franchise that has nothing positive to speak of, some of you sure do know how to shit on a good time.
                              Maybe you've missed the stats, or haven't watched games for the past 2 or 3 months, but Scola has been hurting this team massively (by playing with mostly starters, whom he doesn't fit with). The rest of the team has been so, so good together, they're effectively making up for him shitting the bed. Now, credit goes to Casey for getting the rest of the guys playing at a high level together, for sure.

The infuriating issue with Casey is despite Scola hurting the team, he's consistently getting starts and playing with/against guys that hurt his on-court value. It's unnecessary, and we could potentially be a WHOLE LOT better than our "overachievement" with a pretty simple lineup change.

Comment

What's funny about the Scola/Patterson discussion is that going into the season, the starting gig was Patterson's to lose. In my mind, Patterson's still the default starter even if both guys are playing equally well.

Comment

Working...
                                X