Game 59 - Utah Jazz 94 - Toronto Raptors 104

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    Because it is a sample size of 18 minutes or less spread over an entire season? Half that DRTG could be because of intentional fouls to stop the clock. Last minute and 2 pt differential is unnecessarily narrow - teams don't play much different (besides intentional fouls when down) in the last minute compared to the last 2 or 3, and within two points is not really any different than 3 or 5 points.

For clutch points I always use 5 minutes, 5 points, as those are the largest settings allowed under "clutch stats" at NBA.com and provide the largest sample.
    Turns out it is a 12 minute sample.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
      Lol, those tweets are somewhat funny (on the assumption that she doesn't actually believe what she's typing).

Didn't something like this happen last year too? I thought Some random semi-famous person was shitting on us on Twitter last year too.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
        Can someone tell me why this stat doesn't actually matter?

In games with a 2pt or less differential in the last minute, we have a 8-10 record, 110.5 DRtg, 38% eFG% and play at a pace of 131.05 possessions/48 minutes.(4th fastest in the league)
        So out of their 19 losses they were within 2 points in the last minute of the game for 10 of them.

Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Because it is a sample size of 18 minutes or less spread over an entire season? Half that DRTG could be because of intentional fouls to stop the clock. Last minute and 2 pt differential is unnecessarily narrow - teams don't play much different (besides intentional fouls when down) in the last minute compared to the last 2 or 3, and within two points is not really any different than 3 or 5 points.

For clutch points I always use 5 minutes, 5 points, as those are the largest settings allowed under "clutch stats" at NBA.com and provide the largest sample.
          This is fair, but sample sizes in 'double clutch' situations are never going to be decent sized over a single season.
          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• For the record, I was pulling clutch stats on another team for something completely unrelated and ran into those numbers, and was just curious. We really aren't that bad in the clutch.

Comment

• Jangles wrote: View Post
              Didn't something like this happen last year too? I thought Some random semi-famous person was shitting on us on Twitter last year too.
              I don't remember hearing anything. But wouldn't be surprised if it was her.

Comment

Can someone tell me why this stat doesn't actually matter?

In games with a 2pt or less differential in the last minute, we have a 8-10 record, 110.5 DRtg, 38% eFG% and play at a pace of 131.05 possessions/48 minutes.(4th fastest in the league)
                You know what concerns me? Lowry's performance on Sundays.

In 10 Sunday games this year he's averaging 17-5-7 while shooting 37% from the field and having a TS% of 51.7%. This tells me that Lowry is taking the colloquialism "Sunday is the day of rest" literally and not showing up for these games. God forbid we play a game 7 on a Sunday and this joke artist decides to put up one of his usual Sunday clunkers.

Oh and just to add to his Sunday woes? Lowry's blocked layup against the Nets in Game 7 of the 2014 playoffs... guess what fucking day of the week that happened on? Sunday.

#BenchLowryonSundays

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                  You know what concerns me? Lowry's performance on Sundays.

In 10 Sunday games this year he's averaging 17-5-7 while shooting 37% from the field and having a TS% of 51.7%. This tells me that Lowry is taking the colloquialism "Sunday is the day of rest" literally and not showing up for these games. God forbid we play a game 7 on a Sunday and this joke artist decides to put up one of his usual Sunday clunkers.

Oh and just to add to his Sunday woes? Lowry's blocked layup against the Nets in Game 7 of the 2014 playoffs... guess what fucking day of the week that happened on? Sunday.

#BenchLowryonSundays
                  I admitted in my next post that we're fine in the clutch, for the most part. It was just a stat I ran across and felt like sharing.

Good on you for not just replying to every post I make with rampant sarcasm.

Comment

I admitted in my next post that we're fine in the clutch, for the most part. It was just a stat I ran across and felt like sharing.

Good on you for not just replying to every post I make with rampant sarcasm.
                    Man I check out stats a lot too, but seriously if you look hard enough there's so much negative stuff you can point out it's not even funny. Some things you just have to overlook them. The clutch stats you referred to are really specific and we've only seen a few of those situations this season. That's what I was getting at with the Lowry thing. It's easy to look at the stats and deduce "Oh look Sundays are an issue for Lowry" but obviously when you apply context and some common sense it's clear that's just random and not really the case.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                      Man I check out stats a lot too, but seriously if you look hard enough there's so much negative stuff you can point out it's not even funny. Some things you just have to overlook them. The clutch stats you referred to are really specific and we've only seen a few of those situations this season. That's what I was getting at with the Lowry thing. It's easy to look at the stats and deduce "Oh look Sundays are an issue for Lowry" but obviously when you apply context and some common sense it's clear that's just random and not really the case.
                      This is fair.

Would you consider it relevant that when behind or tied in last 5 minutes/5 or less differential Lowry/DeMar have a combined 65.3% usage, and DeMar's eFG% is 38.7% in these scenarios?

In checking for noise: 2nd highest usage, 2nd highest eFG% in his career in this situation. Last year he was better at 43.4% eFG%.

Comment

This is fair.

Would you consider it relevant that when behind or tied in last 5 minutes/5 or less differential Lowry/DeMar have a combined 65.3% usage, and DeMar's eFG% is 38.7% in these scenarios?

In checking for noise: 2nd highest usage, 2nd highest eFG% in his career in this situation. Last year he was better at 43.4% eFG%.
                        Why eFG%? So much of his game is free throws. His TS% is a poor but acceptable (scoring in the clutch is HARD) 51%. Also, carries a 2:1 AST:TO ratio and a +8 on-court net rating.

Not concerned about this team in the clutch. Every team goes to their stars in the clutch - it's nice we have two we can go to, and a bunch of other guys that can step up if they need to.

You know Steph has a 43% usage in those situations, right? That's the ball movement team to end all ball movement teams.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Why eFG%? So much of his game is free throws. His TS% is a poor but acceptable (scoring in the clutch is HARD) 51%. Also, carries a 2:1 AST:TO ratio and a +8 on-court net rating.

Not concerned about this team in the clutch. Every team goes to their stars in the clutch - it's nice we have two we can go to, and a bunch of other guys that can step up if they need to.

You know Steph has a 43% usage in those situations, right? That's the ball movement team to end all ball movement teams.
                          Steph is historically great offensively though. He has 78.1% true shooting in those situations. If we had a guy who shot like that, I'd say give him the ball every time too.

EDIT: And I used eFG% because I still believe the whistle might fail us in the playoffs. One or two games with a reluctant whistle can be fatal if you rely too much on FTs.

Comment

Did you not see Curry's 3 point game winner against the Thunder? I'm okay with him having a 100% usage in those type of situations.

Comment

• In clutch situations. The top players on the team are going to have higher usage than normal because you go to your best guys more when you need a basket. It's not rocket science. Idk why we have to sit here and pull up stats and act like we're confused by the numbers. You put the ball in the hands of your best players in clutch situations.

Comment

This is fair.

#payhimthemax /pink

Comment

Working...
                                X