Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barolt wrote: View Post
    http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/tra...ort=Percentile

We aren't bad at defending transition. Not elite, but not bad either.
    See, transition defence is like PnR defence - half the battle is preventing a shot, rather than causing the shots to miss.

Probably better to look at fast break points given up per 100 possessions. We rank 6th best in the league.

http://stats.nba.com/league/team/#!/..._PTS_FB&dir=-1
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
      See, transition defence is like PnR defence - half the battle is preventing a shot, rather than causing the shots to miss.

Probably better to look at fast break points given up per 100 possessions. We rank 6th best in the league.

I figured frequency was a useful statistic as well. Percentage of opponent possessions that are transition opportunities.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

ogi wrote: View Post
        Lol I couldn't find that little button that says "team"
        If everyone spent as much time on stats sites as I do, me and DanH would have no reason to post anymore.

Comment

So basically we're actually pretty good at transition d

Comment

I figured frequency was a useful statistic as well. Percentage of opponent possessions that are transition opportunities.
            Sure, but again, that's just how many possessions end that way, not how many could and are prevented. Fast break points are easy, and encompass both quantity and quality of looks given up in transition in one number. If you give up good transition looks but very rarely, or if you give up a lot of looks but they are tightly contested, ultimately what matters is how many transition points you are giving up when judging whether a team gets back or not.

Still, yeah, using play percentages and efficiency is fine. I tend to shy away from them when I can because for some reason NBA.com doesn't allow you to view past season data. So if I can find an equivalent stat that tells the same story and is available for future reference I stick to those.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
              Do you have anything to support your claim about our transition defence?

We get beaten back less than any team in the league.
              As discussed we don't give up a lot of attempts in transition, and that aligns with what I see as well

But I also see that Scola and DD are AWFUL at picking up their guys in transition, and it often leads to miss-matches in half court settings that we almost always seemingly get score on. Even though we do get the "transition stop"

There are no stats to prove this...just what I see

Comment

Sure, but again, that's just how many possessions end that way, not how many could and are prevented. Fast break points are easy, and encompass both quantity and quality of looks given up in transition in one number. If you give up good transition looks but very rarely, or if you give up a lot of looks but they are tightly contested, ultimately what matters is how many transition points you are giving up when judging whether a team gets back or not.

Still, yeah, using play percentages and efficiency is fine. I tend to shy away from them when I can because for some reason NBA.com doesn't allow you to view past season data. So if I can find an equivalent stat that tells the same story and is available for future reference I stick to those.
                Makes sense. I'm working on something where I was trying to find play data for past seasons and it's a pain.

Comment

Makes sense. I'm working on something where I was trying to find play data for past seasons and it's a pain.
                  Yeah, I don't get it. Is there some sort of agreement with Synergy that it is only current data? Very strange, every other stat section on the site provides multi-year info, even player tracking data goes back to 2013-14 when they installed the cameras.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yeah, I don't get it. Is there some sort of agreement with Synergy that it is only current data? Very strange, every other stat section on the site provides multi-year info, even player tracking data goes back to 2013-14 when they installed the cameras.
                    FWIW, this is my new favorite site.

http://www.austinclemens.com/shotcharts/#players

Fantastic shot charts, data back to 2001, can filter by quarter or crunch time.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                      As discussed we don't give up a lot of attempts in transition, and that aligns with what I see as well

But I also see that Scola and DD are AWFUL at picking up their guys in transition, and it often leads to miss-matches in half court settings that we almost always seemingly get score on. Even though we do get the "transition stop"

I see that DeRozan shuts down guys in transition and they are even so scared of his prowess on the break that they simply pull-up, and go cower in the corner and start running their halfcourt offense.

Very easy to just sit here and point out stuff we "see" that goes against reality. Oh hey I just watch the game where DeMar hit 5 threes, I "see" that he hits 3s at the same rate as Curry.

Especially when all you're doing during the game is looking for DeMar mistakes desperately hoping that he'll be off the roster soon, it's very easy to get yourself caught in a mirage.

Comment

FWIW, this is my new favorite site.

http://www.austinclemens.com/shotcharts/#players

Fantastic shot charts, data back to 2001, can filter by quarter or crunch time.
                        Random thought, but I really hate how 2001 is the farthest we can go back on any site. Would've loved to see Jordan's numbers from the mid range area.

Comment

tDotted wrote: View Post
                          Random thought, but I really hate how 2001 is the farthest we can go back on any site. Would've loved to see Jordan's numbers from the mid range area.
                          In a way, I'm happy we don't have those stats because people would just use it to call Jordan and guys like that overrated, like they do with the guys from 2000-2010. Kobe was better than the stats bear out, and I'm a stats guy.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
                            I see that DeRozan shuts down guys in transition and they are even so scared of his prowess on the break that they simply pull-up, and go cower in the corner and start running their halfcourt offense.

Very easy to just sit here and point out stuff we "see" that goes against reality. Oh hey I just watch the game where DeMar hit 5 threes, I "see" that he hits 3s at the same rate as Curry.

Especially when all you're doing during the game is looking for DeMar mistakes desperately hoping that he'll be off the roster soon, it's very easy to get yourself caught in a mirage.
                            I'm not trolling

Scola and DD are both awful at picking up proper matchups in transition....

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

Great post.

Comment

Me.. if we win the ring:

Comment

Working...
                                X