Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything Jason Thompson

http://jasonthompson.sportsblog.com/...m-the-six.html

While landing in Canada feels different, I know that once I get my feet wet, things will get easier. To be honest, I don’t think it’s that drastic of a change. Yes it’s another country, but this is a top-notch organization, and they are very accustomed to helping players navigate customs, work permits, etc. The team guides you through the process so that you can focus your attention on what’s happening on the court, instead of worrying about the off-court stuff.
    This is also an established team that’s doing very well, so I’m just trying to come in here and add depth to a great roster. James Johnson and Patrick Patterson were both traded from Sac to Toronto, and they told me that this organization and the guys here are great. I’ve kept in contact with them throughout the last couple years, so it’s good to see them and wear the same uniform again. I also already knew Kyle Lowry, who’s a Philly guy, and Coach Kalamian, who was an assistant in Sacramento my first couple years. Plus I am keeping my college number – #1 – which I also had in Golden State. I’m glad to carry that through with me to Toronto. The organization brought me in with open arms and continues to make the situation as comfortable as possible for me. I appreciate that.
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

The comments from others on his piece are by far the nicest and most empathic I have ever seen.
    Last edited by Mess; Fri Mar 4, 2016, 06:29 PM.
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
      The comments on his piece are by far the nicest and most empathic I have ever seen.
      Jason Thompson should be our starting PF and if he develops and regain his old form back in Kings days, we should sign him and have him be our backup PF for next year when we draft one of Ellenson or Rabb

Comment

While landing in Canada feels different, I know that once I get my feet wet... *steps in snow*... done.

Comment

Thanks Mixx. Another good find on your part.

Hope to see JT get a bit of run tonight.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

We have a JT sighting. Warm welcome.

Comment

An excellent debut by Jason.

1 Min, 0 PTS, 0 REB. W :-)

Comment

When Jason Thompson plays, the Raptors play at an 82-0 pace.

Jason Thompson > Steph Curry

Comment

Thompson: Raptors’ unselfishness clear from first practice

For Raptors fans who haven’t seen you what can they expect you to bring to the team?
                  Jason Thompson: I’m versatile. I can rebound and run, finish in the paint and shoot the outside jumper. In this role I can take sacrifices for the team. Coming in, I’m not trying to force things, just be an energy guy defensively.

What was it like to be on a historically great team like Golden State yet personally having the most limited role in your career?
                  I was used to playing 25-30 minutes per game throughout my career. It was tough for me not playing, especially when they had a set rotation coming off of winning a championship. You have to put your ego to the side. When you only lose five games it is hard to argue for minutes. I have a great relationship with the guys and wish them the best the rest of the way.

What was appealing to you about the opportunity in Toronto?
                  I played with Patrick Patterson and James Johnson in Sacramento, and I’ve known Kyle [Lowry] from being local in the Philly area. There was a comfort level that came with that. It’s not like I was coming to a team on the decline. They are doing really well. Second in the East and getting even better. For me it was an oppourtunity to help with the depth. Our expectations are very high and I just want to help maintain those expectations.

Offensively, Toronto asks their power forwards to stretch the floor. I saw you taking lots of three pointers after practice. Is that something you are looking forward to?
                  Yeah! It was something I’ve been able to do. In my eight-year career I’ve had 11 coaches including coach Casey. It’s tough. You may work out in the summer and develop that into your game and then a coach comes in with a totally new system.

What was the perception of the Raptors in other locker rooms?
                  A young and upcoming team led by Kyle and DeMar [DeRozan] with a lot of guys that are unselfish. That’s important in the league. A lot of guys get egos and become selfish. Here, guys don’t have to take as many shots if they are doing things that don’t show up in the stat sheet and it leads to wins. It’s not all about getting shots. If what you do leads to wins, then everybody is going to eat.

Golden State is known for having one of the best cultures in the league. You’ve said what the Raptors have this year is similar. How so?
                  You can just tell. When I was at the last practice I would see guys taking certain shots and others guys encouraging them saying, “Don’t worry about you missing. We know you are going to make it the next time.” And that’s great. Guys know this team is very talented so they are willing to make the extra pass and encourage others to shoot. When you have the relationship that these guys have off the court it is going to translate to on the court as well.

You go from playing with one of the best backcourts in the history of the NBA to the best backcourt in the history of the Raptors franchise. How would you compare the two?
                  Steph [Curry] and Klay [Thompson] really make you guard the three and then have developed to be able to put the ball on the floor. Kyle and DeMar can shoot but their big thing is they get to the free throw line a lot. That helps out the team because if guys don’t have it going you can rely on them to get 8-10 from the line and slow the game down. Both are great backcourts but different; our guys are killer with post-ups and those guys are killer with threes.
                  http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...irst-practice/
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
                    When Jason Thompson plays, the Raptors play at an 82-0 pace.

Jason Thompson > Steph Curry
                    #FreeJT
                    OG is our king

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
                      An excellent debut by Jason.

1 Min, 0 PTS, 0 REB. W :-)
                      Don't get too caught up on the volumes. He faired well in the advanced stats.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Don't get too caught up on the volumes. He faired well in the advanced stats.
                        Newp. 200 on-court DRTG over two possessions. I think that's a fair sample and we can confidently say that Thompson is the worst defender to ever play the game of basketball.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Ok, this is where I point out what I said was tongue in cheek and admit I didn't look at the advanced stats.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                            Ok, this is where I point out what I said was tongue in cheek and admit I didn't look at the advanced stats.
                            I'm pretty sure it's a legal mandate that all posts referencing a sample of 1 minute have to be tongue in cheek.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

He technically almost had a trillion.... if it were not for that -2.
                              Axel wrote:
                              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Working...
                              X