Game 63: Atlanta Hawks 96 - Toronto Raptors 104

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Lots of people have the Hawks number. If you can force them into a subpar shooting night, you should be able to win because they're undersized just about everywhere and seriously lack physical toughness. Raps struggled early trying to balance guarding the perimeter and not giving up easy buckets. Got their shit together though. You know you'll have a good chance to beat Atlanta if Korver only attempts three 3s. As a team they average a bit over 27 attempts and only got 23 tonight, making just 7. Yeah, Horford went 3-5, but if he's the guy leading them in 3pt attempts, chances are you're doing something right, even if it's not in that matchup.

You can win the battle on the glass and in the paint quite easily, and tonight we also beat them in fast break points despite our horrible start turning the ball over (a bit lucky that more of those early turnovers didn't bite us in the ass). Solid win after a sort of scary start.
    Raps are now like 5-1 against the "good Hawks", though. I mean, Atlanta won 60 last year and went 1-3 against Toronto. Toronto is a bad match-up for them.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      It's like people would rather us lose as long as JV gets 30 mins
      JV isn't some prospect.. he's had some of the highest PER averages over the past couple of seasons among big men.. criminally underplayed. If this was happening on another team, you would be wondering what the F was going on with the coach.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
        Come on now. How many more hospitals/schools/etc could the man build if he takes a bigger contract? Sometimes greed isn't the only factor.
        That is a great point. for this point alone, Masai will bait the Knicks into signing Biyombi for a 5 years 500 million contract and I will defnitely buy a Biyombo jersey then.

I wanna see ppl like this make money, tbh. And thats Masai and BB. Great individuals. I myself is super inspired by the man. making me wanna do things like that.

Comment

• For some reason Raps have the Hawks number just like the Bulls have ours. Great win.. was expecting a loss but I really have to stop doubting this team.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
            No, winning games is the priority. Player development is not the primary goal of any organization. For "long term thinkers" you guys sure are obsessed with operational decisions. Almost makes one wonder if people understand what "long term thinking" actually means.....

Anyway, good win. Solid defence. Raps have the Hawks number.
            Winning games is meaningless without the context of time. Winning games over the long term can definitely be the primary goal of an organization, and player development can be the foundation of that strategy.

What exactly did we gain by giving so many minutes and opportunities to Lou Williams and Greivis Vasquez last year? They may have helped us eke out a couple of extra wins but they were never going to be part of our long-term plans.

Same applies here.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
              Winning games is meaningless without the context of time. Winning games over the long term can definitely be the primary goal of an organization, and player development can be the foundation of that strategy.

What exactly did we gain by giving so many minutes and opportunities to Lou Williams and Greivis Vasquez last year? They may have helped us eke out a couple of extra wins but they were never going to be part of our long-term plans.

Same applies here.
              No scraptor you cant think like that according to these guys

The only time to be in truly win now mode is if you have a legit chance of winning a ring not 1 or 2 rounds
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• I dont understand the argument that we play BB over JV now because we want to win

We would have won the game with either player...so you play the one who has the bigger upside (JV), is the better player (JV), and on a longer contract (JV)

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                  Chicago losing to San Antonio atm. They're in trouble, probably not gonna make the playoffs.

Chicago and Washington both missing the playoffs would be fun
                  Wouldn't that be great... Jackie Moon could stage the second Mega Bowl for them
                  There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                  - TGO

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                    It's not about him being a money chaser, it's about the idea that a guy is going to give up $10-30 million over the life of a contract to stay with a team he's spent a year with. A guy who's never had a big NBA contract.
                    How do we know Bismack is going to get $10-30M in free agency?

Look at his numbers. They aren't much better than last year (where he likely didn't get many offers). Yes more teams will have cap space next year and he's playing for a better team now so he's being showcased more, but it's not a guarantee that we're going to get priced out on him.

Comment

• Man I hope we play Atlanta in the first round.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Look at his numbers. They aren't much better than last year (where he likely didn't get many offers). Yes more teams will have cap space next year and he's playing for a better team now so he's being showcased more, but it's not a guarantee that we're going to get priced out on him.
                        There is a good chance as any that he keeps his player option just so he can stay in Toronto for one more season. May not make sense financially but some people are wired differently. And I have this feeling that BB really likes playing for Masai.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                          Raps are now like 5-1 against the "good Hawks", though. I mean, Atlanta won 60 last year and went 1-3 against Toronto. Toronto is a bad match-up for them.
                          We consistently crush the Hawks on the boards... Did it again tonight with a 48 to 33 win on the glass...
                          We really limit them on second chance points .Mix in a stepped up perimeter D holding them to 30% on three's and thats all she wrote..
                          - TGO

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            Man I hope we play Atlanta in the first round.
                            careful what you wish for. we swept the magicians from D.C last regular season.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              There is a good chance as any that he keeps his player option just so he can stay in Toronto for one more season. May not make sense financially but some people are wired differently. And I have this feeling that BB really likes playing for Masai.
                              Idk about picking up his player option, that'd be a really tiny contract. But I could see him taking a multi-year MLE if he doesn't get a crazy offer from anyone.

I think the MLE will be worth a little over $6M per year. Now if he gets offered 8 figures by someone he's probably not taking that, but idk how likely that is. He's pretty much the same player from last year that nobody wanted to sign minus being a bit better from the FT line (actually by WS/48 he's been slightly .worse than the previous 2 seasons). If someone offers him $7-8M per year and they're not a particularly good team, I could see him taking a slightly smaller deal with us in order to be part of a winner and work under Masai who he's close with.

Some of those intangible factors can outweigh cash if the difference in salary is marginal. Of course if it's substantial that's unlikely except for much older players.

Comment

I think we lose him unless his agent is an imbecile of epic proportions..
                                Just for compares..and these deals were done last year before the cap goes up from 70 to 89 M

- Omar Asik got 60M over 5 years
                                - Tyson Chandler got 52M over 4 years
                                - Robin Lopez got 54M over 4 years

So if he is just half as good.. and he is better than that... and his agent isn't Alan Eagleson... he should pretty easily ask for and get a 4 year term (he is 23 years old) and north of 45M in aggregate in an expanding cap year. And it would still be a better deal than those above...
                                It was nice while it lasted...
                                Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Mar 10, 2016, 11:56 PM.
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X