Game 63: Atlanta Hawks 96 - Toronto Raptors 104

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
    Winning games is meaningless without the context of time. Winning games over the long term can definitely be the primary goal of an organization, and player development can be the foundation of that strategy.

What exactly did we gain by giving so many minutes and opportunities to Lou Williams and Greivis Vasquez last year? They may have helped us eke out a couple of extra wins but they were never going to be part of our long-term plans.

Same applies here.
    You can keep saying that. But who was going to get those minutes that was part of our "long term" plans. At the time, gv and Lou were part of our "long term" plans.

We didn't have any young guys waiting on the bench. We had Landry fields and chuck Hayes. And those guys also weren't part of out "long term" plans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• is McHappy/Matt banned from this place?

Comment

• First, to the comment that no expiring players should be featured - no, Bismack is a special case. Usually you will have Bird Rights and will have a good shot (in theory, be the favourites) to re-sign the player. In Biyombo's case, we are handicapped - we can offer less than pretty much every other team, as we are one of the few capped teams.

There is a chance he comes back for the MLE and that would be great. But there is a greater chance he gets a more significant offer from a team flooded with cap space. And even if it was a 50/50 proposition, you have to lay plans for every scenario. More minutes for BeBe would have been a good idea, even if you still use Biyombo for the majority of the backup minutes.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
          is McHappy/Matt banned from this place?
          He received a short term ban and decided not to come back, as I recall.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
            I think we lose him unless his agent is an imbecile of epic proportions..
            Just for compares..and these deals were done last year before the cap goes up from 70 to 89 M

- Omar Asik got 60M over 5 years
            - Tyson Chandler got 52M over 4 years
            - Robin Lopez got 54M over 4 years

So if he is just half as good.. and he is better than that... and his agent isn't Alan Eagleson... he should pretty easily ask for and get a 4 year term (he is 23 years old) and north of 45M in aggregate in an expanding cap year. And it would still be a better deal than those above...
            It was nice while it lasted...

Asik, Chandler and Lopez all got their deals in the same summer that Biyombo signed with the Raps for the mini-mid level. So why is he suddenly worth half those guys after playing just one more year.. in a year where he's putting up similar numbers as last year?

Comment

• I suspect he'll get paid more than the MLE and will not be a Raptor.. just playing devil's advocate.

Comment

• Missed the game. How was it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  The guy brings unique, progressive and thoughtful discussions to this place. It's a shame, Mods.

Comment

• You guys seem to not understand the difference in a coach and gm. Masai worries about development, and where we'll be in 5 years. A coach doesn't look at contracts, age, who's a free agent etc. Maybe a lifer like popovich does but it's caseys job to win and win this year. He has tunnel vision on the next game and that's not wrong. What does casey give a shit about norman Powell 10 years from now? He'll almost certainly be gone, and if this year's team loses early in the playoffs he'll be gone.

Why play BB? He won't be here next year? Because dwane believes it gives the 2015/16 raptors the best shot at winning. And he would also like to be here next year
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• I'd really recommend people start watching soccer just to see how player development isn't the same for everyone. Sometimes you have guys who can come into the first team right away and just play like stars and adapt very quickly. Other guys need to spend time with the youth teams at the U-21 or U-18 level working on their skills to improve before it makes sense to throw them into the first team football fire.

Not the same sport obviously, but they're still athletes and the concept is the same. There are no hard and fast rules for how to develop a player. Some guys respond well to being yanked even for little mistakes, some don't. Some need to just be left out there to figure things out on their own, some develop bad habits from it. Some guys grow better by playing at a lower level and working on game stuff at a slower speed before going to the big leagues, others do better if they're just thrown in the fire right away.

It's not an exact science and it's different for everybody.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                        Asik, Chandler and Lopez all got their deals in the same summer that Biyombo signed with the Raps for the mini-mid level. So why is he suddenly worth half those guys after playing just one more year.. in a year where he's putting up similar numbers as last year?
                        Well he pretty much shit the bed in Charlotte for his 3 years there.
                        This year.. It's hard not to notice the contribution he is making to a top of the bracket playoff team. Good rim protection. Shot blocker. Above average rebounder. Still has those stone mittens though.
                        Those are pretty good reasons. Combine that with a lot of teams with a lot of cap space and not a deep field of free agents and our guy from the not so democratic republic of the congo will need a brinks trunk to carry his money home in July.
                        I would be shocked if he didn't get 4 years and 48M. Last year could be partially guaranteed team option but still a good deal for whoever signs him and Biz. He earned it.
                        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Mar 11, 2016, 12:07 AM.
                        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                        - TGO

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          You guys seem to not understand the difference in a coach and gm. Masai worries about development, and where we'll be in 5 years. A coach doesn't look at contracts, age, who's a free agent etc. Maybe a lifer like popovich does but it's caseys job to win and win this year. He has tunnel vision on the next game and that's not wrong. What does casey give a shit about norman Powell 10 years from now? He'll almost certainly be gone, and if this year's team loses early in the playoffs he'll be gone.

Why play BB? He won't be here next year? Because dwane believes it gives the 2015/16 raptors the best shot at winning. And he would also like to be here next year
                          This is so true, honestly I hadn't even been looking at it this way (although I've never given Casey too much stick for not playing unproven guys as much as some might want). The dude only has a contract guaranteed for the end of this season, he needs to get this team performing at a certain level in order to ensure a level of success that allows him to keep his job. Obviously in that kind of low-security situation you're going to play guys you think you can rely on. Dude needs to get some slack here.

He does play young players anyway. People are complaining about Bebe not getting much run but people are ignoring the fact that Bebe is actually just as old (23) as Jonas and Bismack. Has less NBA experience obviously, but those guys are young as well and much more proven so they get the bulk of the PT. It's not like any of them can play the 4 spot. There are only 48 minutes available at center.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            mcHAPPY or Matt? Or is it the same person? I was wondering what happened to mcHAPPY. How do you guys even know who gets banned or not? Also I wonder why he never came back, he was a staple around these parts.
                            I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
                              The guy brings unique, progressive and thoughtful discussions to this place. It's a shame, Mods.
                              Agreed. I miss the guy
                              I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                                mcHAPPY or Matt? Or is it the same person? I was wondering what happened to mcHAPPY. How do you guys even know who gets banned or not? Also I wonder why he never came back, he was a staple around these parts.
                                Yes mcHAPPY is Matt52. I gotta ask GLF, did you know that Clark Kent is superman, he's just put on glasses and a suit?
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X