Game 64: Miami Heat 104 -Toronto Raptors 112

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
    I am interested.....who are the other 4 guys in the top 5 in the metric you posted?
    In terms of post touches, the four guys in the top 50 for touches who shoot better than JV are DeAndre, Noel, Gobert and Adams.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• This thread is rediculous

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
        In terms of post touches, the four guys in the top 50 for touches who shoot better than JV are DeAndre, Noel, Gobert and Adams.
        Are any of these guys considered dominant offensive players? I didn't think so.

So just throwing stats out doesn't even prove the point that you're making.

The guys you just listed are considered as "very limited" offensive players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
          Are any of these guys considered dominant offensive players? I didn't think so.

So just throwing stats out doesn't even prove the point that you're making.

The guys you just listed are considered as "very limited" offensive players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          It's the whole picture. You're just seeing part of it. Those guys are very good in the post is what this stat says. You combine that with JV's midrange touch, his pick and roll efficiency as the roll man, and you get the complete picture.

As JWash said, the single deadliest play the Raptors have is the DeMar/JV pick and roll, because there's a lot of ways it can hurt you, especially if we have guys like Ross/Lowry/Patterson/Carroll spacing the floor.
          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Yeah, I don't see the argument for making JV the "one in" in a 4-out-1-in scheme right now. If DD walks and you have to sell Lowry and try to re-tool? Sure, as good a plan as any.

But DD-JV PnR might be one of the most dangerous offensive sets in all of basketball right now, especially when PP is on the floor. Frankly I'm disappointed we don't use it more (and it was a very pleasant surprise that in the game I went to, we used it a lot, and I think it's no coincidence we saw one of the best games of both JV and DD's seasons, even careers, with so much of that action being used).
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• fake win?

just kidding
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                Yeah, I don't see the argument for making JV the "one in" in a 4-out-1-in scheme right now. If DD walks and you have to sell Lowry and try to re-tool? Sure, as good a plan as any.

But DD-JV PnR might be one of the most dangerous offensive sets in all of basketball right now, especially when PP is on the floor. Frankly I'm disappointed we don't use it more (and it was a very pleasant surprise that in the game I went to, we used it a lot, and I think it's no coincidence we saw one of the best games of both JV and DD's seasons, even careers, with so much of that action being used).
                It's only going to get better with Demarre's cutting and shooting gets added to the mix soon.

I don't know if it's just me but defensively and offensively the Raptors have a few sets they run here and there randomly, which are pretty effective, but you won't see them again for another 10 games.

I refuse to believe it is some sort of "don't show off all your chips" strategy considering it's a Dwane Casey run team.

Comment

Yeah, I don't see the argument for making JV the "one in" in a 4-out-1-in scheme right now. If DD walks and you have to sell Lowry and try to re-tool? Sure, as good a plan as any.

Can you imagine how good that PnR is gonna be when we really start going to it more and JV gets more comfortable knocking down long 2s off the pop? Not even sure how you'd defend that lol

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                    This thread is rediculous
                    Yeah I'd rather have a thread about how our future is hopeless and we're treadmilling. And how Casey needs to be fired and Demar/Lowry need to be traded and replaced with the 16 and 17 year olds I looked up on ballislife on youtube and Rivals.com so that we can have a future and play 4 out with Jonas inside.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                      Can you imagine how good that PnR is gonna be when we really start going to it more and JV gets more comfortable knocking down long 2s off the pop? Not even sure how you'd defend that lol
                      Right? Think about the outcomes when JV sets a screen. He could roll hard into the paint, meaning you either hedge hard on DD to stop his drive and risk the pass to the rim, or you don't and DD has a field day driving into the lane. He could pop to 15 feet, in which case you are again either hedging hard and giving up the open jumper (or better yet a drive off a pump fake) or letting DD do what he wants. Or he could even flash to the short corner if the roll is cut off and establish post position. The point where most pick and rolls fail is when the ball handler has to stop, and the roll man can't get the ball - you reset at that point. But with JV, good post position against a moving defence? Yeesh.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Right? Think about the outcomes when JV sets a screen. He could roll hard into the paint, meaning you either hedge hard on DD to stop his drive and risk the pass to the rim, or you don't and DD has a field day driving into the lane. He could pop to 15 feet, in which case you are again either hedging hard and giving up the open jumper (or better yet a drive off a pump fake) or letting DD do what he wants. Or he could even flash to the short corner if the roll is cut off and establish post position. The point where most pick and rolls fail is when the ball handler has to stop, and the roll man can't get the ball - you reset at that point. But with JV, good post position against a moving defence? Yeesh.
                        Yeah there would just be so many options and then you still have a near superstar like Lowry as well with shooters spacing the floor.

Comment

It's the whole picture. You're just seeing part of it. Those guys are very good in the post is what this stat says. You combine that with JV's midrange touch, his pick and roll efficiency as the roll man, and you get the complete picture.

As JWash said, the single deadliest play the Raptors have is the DeMar/JV pick and roll, because there's a lot of ways it can hurt you, especially if we have guys like Ross/Lowry/Patterson/Carroll spacing the floor.
                          But those guys are only good in the post because all they do is get easy dunks that were created by the guards. None of those guys actually have any post moves. You can't dump it down to any of those guys consistently and say go to work.
                          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Ugh! That would be amazing. I completely agree with the Demar and JV pick and roll needing to be used more. I'm shocked it isn't used a lot since both of them start. I haven't really taken it in but is Scola normally the one who sets the screens for Demar? Why isn't JV the one setting the screens most of the time? And yea if JV gets more confident in his midrange jump shot that's when the Demar and JV pick and roll will really become deadly.
                            I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

BUT JV definitely should be getting more touches in the pick and roll.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                                Typically, hesitation indicates that someone has to think about what they are about to do and is making sure they have the sequence down correctly. Hesitation disappears through repetition. That's why you practice. That's where the whole "10,000 hours of applied practice time makes a star" thing comes from. Jv is better this year than last, by a significant margin, based on the eye test. If he is used in team practice time, and works out in the summer such that he knows he can take the midrange, or can immediately move to the basket and has 4 options (instead of the three he uses now) his game will elevate significantly. His moves aren't automatic, but three years ago, neither were DeRozan's. And look at DD now. He dribbles into situations that make you go WTF and then he makes the shot anyway because he practices that shit all the time. Now it is automatic for him. The long two that everybody hated him taking 4 years and 3 years ago is now money.

If JV puts in the work off season and Casey gets him the time, we will see at different and much more dominant JV.

IMHO
                                Don't get me wrong he has definitely improved and honestly his defensive coverage particularly has surprised me. It's definitely possible he grows to become a dominant overall player and as long as he's on this team i'll be cheering for that to happen

Comment

Working...
                                X