Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 66: Milwaukee Bucks 89 - Toronto Raptors 107

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • slaw wrote: View Post
    Let's not get too carried away. The Bucks are not a "very good defensive team". In the last 5 games, the Nets (56%), Bulls (50%), Miami (54%) all shot above 50%. On the season, they are one of the worst defenses in the NBA.

    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

    Comment


    • Barolt wrote: View Post
      Special1: The point you're missing is that we understand our offense is good with DeMar. However, tonight, against a very good defensive team, our offense was also good without DeMar.

      Our defense, however, is much better when DeMar isn't on the floor. In fact, our defense with Scola/without DeMar is better than with DeMar/without Scola.
      Wrong.... They aren't a very good defensive team. Also, the point you're missing is that Demar makes our offense better period.

      Also, the stats you pull are so meaningless sometimes. So let's let Demar walk and Keep Scola? Is that your point? Of course not... Just another shot at Demar.

      Demar exerts A TON of energy on offense. If you pay attention.....you'll notice that he's our highest usage player. In MANY cases he regularly leads the team in minutes played. So please excuse me if I give him a little leeway on the defensive end.

      The question is.....Why have you not taken in the fact that he has the most usage and minutes played on the team when looking at your stats??

      The problem is not the stats but how you interpret them.

      You like to compare the defensive efforts of guys who play 10-20 mins a game to a guy that plays 40 mins a game while also being the number one option.... lol. Pretty ridiculous.




      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

      Comment



      • Comment


        • special1 wrote: View Post
          Demar exerts A TON of energy on offense. If you pay attention.....you'll notice that he's our highest usage player. In MANY cases he regularly leads the team in minutes played. So please excuse me if I give him a little leeway on the defensive end.
          So the question is: why doesn't he move the ball around a little more on offence to reduce his usage and energy spent on that end of the floor, to give himself more juice on defence?
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

          Comment


          • special1 wrote: View Post
            Wrong.... They aren't a very good defensive team. Also, the point you're missing is that Demar makes our offense better period.

            Also, the stats you pull are so meaningless sometimes. So let's let Demar walk and Keep Scola? Is that your point? Of course not... Just another shot at Demar.

            Demar exerts A TON of energy on offense. If you pay attention.....you'll notice that he's our highest usage player. In MANY cases he regularly leads the team in minutes played. So please excuse me if I give him a little leeway on the defensive end.

            The question is.....Why have you not taken in the fact that he has the most usage and minutes played on the team when looking at your stats??

            The problem is not the stats but how you interpret them.

            You like to compare the defensive efforts of guys who play 10-20 mins a game to a guy that plays 40 mins a game while also being the number one option.... lol. Pretty ridiculous.




            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I have noted his minutes and usage, and I've said that Casey would do better to reduce both Kyle and DeMar's minutes.

            I've also said that DeMar's usage should be lower, as JV can take some of that usage easily, being a highly efficient offensive player. We have a lot of offensive talent, as we saw last night against the Bucks.

            Honestly, if DeMar can't carry that much usage and also put forth some effort on defense, then his usage has to go down, because I refuse to accept that we're just going to let a player be terrible on defense, regardless of the load they're carrying on offense.
            twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

            Comment


            • special1 wrote: View Post
              Wrong.... They aren't a very good defensive team. Also, the point you're missing is that Demar makes our offense better period.

              Also, the stats you pull are so meaningless sometimes. So let's let Demar walk and Keep Scola? Is that your point? Of course not... Just another shot at Demar.

              Demar exerts A TON of energy on offense. If you pay attention.....you'll notice that he's our highest usage player. In MANY cases he regularly leads the team in minutes played. So please excuse me if I give him a little leeway on the defensive end.

              The question is.....Why have you not taken in the fact that he has the most usage and minutes played on the team when looking at your stats??

              The problem is not the stats but how you interpret them.

              You like to compare the defensive efforts of guys who play 10-20 mins a game to a guy that plays 40 mins a game while also being the number one option.... lol. Pretty ridiculous.




              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              This is a great point and one reason why in spite of the high efficiency of the team offence I am unsatisfied with the low usage of our bigs compared to our wings, and why I am unsatisfied with the minutes distribution in the rotation. A big part, in my opinion, of the defensive slippage late in the year is fatigue catching up to our guards - DD, Joseph and Lowry in particular. A little less usage for each, fewer minutes, rest games here and there - those should help get the defence back on its feet.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

              Comment


              • JimiCliff wrote: View Post

                It's basically the same defensive system the Raps went with last season that the league figured out after a couple months. Scramble, scramble, scramble. The extra passes the Raps made last night leading to loads of open threes was a very familiar script, just from the opposite side.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

                Comment


                • Things I liked:

                  Happy Jack crooning some John Denver. I would probably rather listen to Jack sing for a whole game than Leo say one word. Helps when the Raps are kicking ass.

                  After Powell cruised through the lane for another layup late in the game, I saw a glimpse of GV on the bench in a suit looking like Sad Keanu. If I wasn't at work I'd take the time to make a comparison pic. Might do it tonight.

                  Not that I enjoy seeing GV not being happy, it was more about having someone a lot younger, a lot quicker with better defense in a Raptors uniform replacing some of his minutes from last season.
                  Two beer away from being two beers away.

                  Comment


                  • Barolt wrote: View Post
                    9th in DRtg since the All-Star break. Since Giannis started playing point, they've been much better.
                    12th per NBA.com in a 14 game sample. Still doesn't make sense to call them a great defensive team

                    Comment


                    • FoxMachine wrote: View Post
                      Sure but they are in the midst of playing their best basketball and peaking late in the season
                      Even so they are absolutely not a "great defensive team". This peaking team has still only gone 7-7 post all star break.

                      Comment


                      • Mess wrote: View Post
                        After Powell cruised through the lane for another layup late in the game, I saw a glimpse of GV on the bench in a suit looking like Sad Keanu. If I wasn't at work I'd take the time to make a comparison pic. Might do it tonight.
                        Ya, must really suck for Vasquez. I mean, the guy could barely contain his excitement when he signed his extension here.

                        Maybe Rogers/Bell can throw him a bone and hire him as a playoff sideline reporter, lol.

                        Comment


                        • DanH wrote: View Post
                          It's basically the same defensive system the Raps went with last season that the league figured out after a couple months. Scramble, scramble, scramble. The extra passes the Raps made last night leading to loads of open threes was a very familiar script, just from the opposite side.
                          Personnel is also very different. You've got Monroe and Parker playing a tonne of minutes. One is a notoriously bad defender and the other is basically a rookie for all intents and purposes. That also doesn't help. MCW, in my opinion, is a downgrade from Knight, and they lost a lot of toughness in the paint with Pachulia gone.

                          Giannis is obviously a terrific young player and Parker and Middleton are good players but there's just something about the personnel mix that doesn't work - on either end of the floor.

                          Comment


                          • JawsGT wrote: View Post
                            The raps never did much different last night than usual anyways. Offense still looked pretty crappy IMO, in terms of initiation, just that the second and third pass was being made and guys were knocking down shots. .We still ran everything through the perimeter via Lowry, Cojo, and a sprinkle of JJ and Powell. Defense was much better with Biz and Powell though, which ultimately made the difference. Didn't hurt that the Bucks played little D in the second half.

                            I do find it odd that I would consider one of the top offenses in basketball as pretty crappy, but to me it looks very vulnerable like it did last season. But it can work if our D is top notch, but that's a big if.
                            That's what I'm saying. Our offense might be ranked high but it really isn't that hard to stop. Especially if a team has a shot at you game after game in a seven game series. Our defense is what needs to be our focus. If we can continue to get stops we can win in the playoffs. If we have to rely on our offense we're fucked.
                            I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

                            Comment


                            • DanH wrote: View Post
                              This is a great point and one reason why in spite of the high efficiency of the team offence I am unsatisfied with the low usage of our bigs compared to our wings, and why I am unsatisfied with the minutes distribution in the rotation. A big part, in my opinion, of the defensive slippage late in the year is fatigue catching up to our guards - DD, Joseph and Lowry in particular. A little less usage for each, fewer minutes, rest games here and there - those should help get the defence back on its feet.
                              Well Demar and Kyle should get a good bit of rest down the stretch. The last three games we play are against Sixers, Brooklyn and New York. I highly doubt we play either of them for those last 3 games. We also ply Atlanta and Indiana to end the season and it's a back to back so I feel one might play one game and the other will play the second game because we've already proven we can beat them. I don't know where Cory will get rest that's the only problem. He kind of has to play. Unless you play Delon as the backup on a game that Kyle plays to get Cory his rest. Also Demarre will be coming back and should be fresh as ever. So hopefully all that rest will get our guards back together when it comes to defense because they have really fallen off lately. Kyle is getting beat just as easy as Demar does these days. Cory is still good but no where as good as he was to start the season obviously.
                              I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

                              Comment


                              • GLF wrote: View Post
                                Well Demar and Kyle should get a good bit of rest down the stretch. The last three games we play are against Sixers, Brooklyn and New York. I highly doubt we play either of them for those last 3 games. We also ply Atlanta and Indiana to end the season and it's a back to back so I feel one might play one game and the other will play the second game because we've already proven we can beat them. I don't know where Cory will get rest that's the only problem. He kind of has to play. Unless you play Delon as the backup on a game that Kyle plays to get Cory his rest. Also Demarre will be coming back and should be fresh as ever. So hopefully all that rest will get our guards back together when it comes to defense because they have really fallen off lately. Kyle is getting beat just as easy as Demar does these days. Cory is still good but no where as good as he was to start the season obviously.
                                I agree with all of this except I can't imagine Demarre coming back and being fresh as ever. I am expecting the description to be more along the lines of rusty and out of game shape (cardio). I really hope he can be the defender he was immediately coming back after a serious knee injury but I'm wary that will take more time than this season allows.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X