X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ogi
    replied
    FoxMachine wrote: View Post
    Sure but they are in the midst of playing their best basketball and peaking late in the season
    Even so they are absolutely not a "great defensive team". This peaking team has still only gone 7-7 post all star break.

Leave a comment:

• ogi
    replied
    Barolt wrote: View Post
    9th in DRtg since the All-Star break. Since Giannis started playing point, they've been much better.
    12th per NBA.com in a 14 game sample. Still doesn't make sense to call them a great defensive team

Leave a comment:

• Mess
    replied
    Things I liked:

Happy Jack crooning some John Denver. I would probably rather listen to Jack sing for a whole game than Leo say one word. Helps when the Raps are kicking ass.

After Powell cruised through the lane for another layup late in the game, I saw a glimpse of GV on the bench in a suit looking like Sad Keanu. If I wasn't at work I'd take the time to make a comparison pic. Might do it tonight.

Not that I enjoy seeing GV not being happy, it was more about having someone a lot younger, a lot quicker with better defense in a Raptors uniform replacing some of his minutes from last season.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    JimiCliff wrote: View Post

It's basically the same defensive system the Raps went with last season that the league figured out after a couple months. Scramble, scramble, scramble. The extra passes the Raps made last night leading to loads of open threes was a very familiar script, just from the opposite side.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    special1 wrote: View Post
    Wrong.... They aren't a very good defensive team. Also, the point you're missing is that Demar makes our offense better period.

Also, the stats you pull are so meaningless sometimes. So let's let Demar walk and Keep Scola? Is that your point? Of course not... Just another shot at Demar.

Demar exerts A TON of energy on offense. If you pay attention.....you'll notice that he's our highest usage player. In MANY cases he regularly leads the team in minutes played. So please excuse me if I give him a little leeway on the defensive end.

The question is.....Why have you not taken in the fact that he has the most usage and minutes played on the team when looking at your stats??

The problem is not the stats but how you interpret them.

You like to compare the defensive efforts of guys who play 10-20 mins a game to a guy that plays 40 mins a game while also being the number one option.... lol. Pretty ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is a great point and one reason why in spite of the high efficiency of the team offence I am unsatisfied with the low usage of our bigs compared to our wings, and why I am unsatisfied with the minutes distribution in the rotation. A big part, in my opinion, of the defensive slippage late in the year is fatigue catching up to our guards - DD, Joseph and Lowry in particular. A little less usage for each, fewer minutes, rest games here and there - those should help get the defence back on its feet.

Leave a comment:

• Barolt
    replied
    Wrong.... They aren't a very good defensive team. Also, the point you're missing is that Demar makes our offense better period.

Also, the stats you pull are so meaningless sometimes. So let's let Demar walk and Keep Scola? Is that your point? Of course not... Just another shot at Demar.

Demar exerts A TON of energy on offense. If you pay attention.....you'll notice that he's our highest usage player. In MANY cases he regularly leads the team in minutes played. So please excuse me if I give him a little leeway on the defensive end.

The question is.....Why have you not taken in the fact that he has the most usage and minutes played on the team when looking at your stats??

You like to compare the defensive efforts of guys who play 10-20 mins a game to a guy that plays 40 mins a game while also being the number one option.... lol. Pretty ridiculous.

I have noted his minutes and usage, and I've said that Casey would do better to reduce both Kyle and DeMar's minutes.

I've also said that DeMar's usage should be lower, as JV can take some of that usage easily, being a highly efficient offensive player. We have a lot of offensive talent, as we saw last night against the Bucks.

Honestly, if DeMar can't carry that much usage and also put forth some effort on defense, then his usage has to go down, because I refuse to accept that we're just going to let a player be terrible on defense, regardless of the load they're carrying on offense.

Leave a comment:

• JimiCliff
    replied
    So the question is: why doesn't he move the ball around a little more on offence to reduce his usage and energy spent on that end of the floor, to give himself more juice on defence?

Leave a comment:

• rocwell
    replied

Leave a comment:

• special1
    replied
    Special1: The point you're missing is that we understand our offense is good with DeMar. However, tonight, against a very good defensive team, our offense was also good without DeMar.

Our defense, however, is much better when DeMar isn't on the floor. In fact, our defense with Scola/without DeMar is better than with DeMar/without Scola.

Leave a comment:

• JimiCliff
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post
    Let's not get too carried away. The Bucks are not a "very good defensive team". In the last 5 games, the Nets (56%), Bulls (50%), Miami (54%) all shot above 50%. On the season, they are one of the worst defenses in the NBA.

Leave a comment:

• Machine
    replied
    ogi wrote: View Post
    The bucks are 20th in drtg. Wouldn't call that very good
    Sure but they are in the midst of playing their best basketball and peaking late in the season

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Special1: The point you're missing is that we understand our offense is good with DeMar. However, tonight, against a very good defensive team, our offense was also good without DeMar.
    Let's not get too carried away. The Bucks are not a "very good defensive team". In the last 5 games, the Nets (56%), Bulls (50%), Miami (54%) all shot above 50%. On the season, they are one of the worst defenses in the NBA.

Now, it's a nice win and Toronto played really well and the players deserve a lot of respect for playing hard and executing but let's not oversell this too much....

Leave a comment:

• Barolt
    replied
    ogi wrote: View Post
    9th in DRtg since the All-Star break. Since Giannis started playing point, they've been much better.

Leave a comment:

• Machine
    replied
    I wonder what defences will do to players who can't make plays for themselves or their teammates.

We NEED a player like Demar. I know it's hard for you to understand, but Demar literally has a lot of decisions to make in split seconds. Does he always make the right choices? No. Does he always make the bad choices.... Obviously not.

You see what you want to see.

Demar isn't perfect but he's the least of our problems. I said this a few times but I'll show you again....

The last time we played the Bucks on Dec. 26th

We won 111-90

Demar had 22 points and 8 assists

The TEAM had 31 assists that night (4 more than we had last night vs the Bucks)

Incidentally.... JV didn't play that game either.

So before people pile on Demar.....Just take that in. Don't say he never passes or he kills the ball movement because that's just a lie. His role is a scoring SG who gets to the rim and to the line....so of course the ball will stick a bit more, but it doesn't kill our offense.... It actually improves it.

Like I said, I like how Demar played in the first half of the season. He has been terrible all but one game since then. And yes he does kill the ball movement and makes terrible decisions way too often. He does not improve our offense unless he is committed to playing to his strengths which is getting to the free throw line or driving and kicking or dumping off to the big men. Unfortunately he doesn't do that enough and loses focus too often. It makes me cringe everytime the ball is passed to him and everything freezes. I would much rather see ball movement like last night. And we know Demar is capable of it. He did it for half a season when Rudy gay got traded and he did it for half a season this year. That's how he has to play. When he doesn't, he is definitely a liability on both ends.

Leave a comment:

• ogi
    replied

Our defense, however, is much better when DeMar isn't on the floor. In fact, our defense with Scola/without DeMar is better than with DeMar/without Scola.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X