Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaf Lunch , Baseball Central , When Will Raptors or NBA get some more Play ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaf Lunch , Baseball Central , When Will Raptors or NBA get some more Play ?

48-21 Raptors heading too 3 Divison Tittles and Toronto Airways still have Leaf Lunch ... Also lets not forget Baseball central or Football Fridays ...

Will there ever be a hour dedicated to the sport of Basketball in this market ?

Tim and sid talk raptors constantly.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
      Tim and sid talk raptors constantly.
      Oh I understand that but dedicating a hour for the sport of basketball is what I am talking about ... 590 has Hoops but that is once a week and hours vary according to Eric and Jones schedule ..

Comment

Oh my god are we gonna cry about this now?

Y'all got some middle child complex going on.

Comment

guyroch wrote: View Post
          48-21 Raptors heading too 3 Divison Tittles and Toronto Airways still have Leaf Lunch ... Also lets not forget Baseball central or Football Fridays ...

Will there ever be a hour dedicated to the sport of Basketball in this market ?
          Simple answer? Never. But it certainly got worse when Rogers decided to bet their whole budget on hockey

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
            Oh my god are we gonna cry about this now?

Y'all got some middle child complex going on.
            Really ? Who is friggin crying or whining

It is just a simple question on what has to occur for the sport of basketball to get to a point that we have something like Hoops being slated a spot on the airways like Hockey Central or Baseball Central ?

I am not saying please please talk more basketball cause really I can just get NBA podcast to get my fix of basketball talk ...

Comment

Really ? Who is friggin crying or whining

It is just a simple question on what has to occur for the sport of basketball to get to a point that we have something like Hoops being slated a spot on the airways like Hockey Central or Baseball Central ?

I am not saying please please talk more basketball cause really I can just get NBA podcast to get my fix of basketball talk ...
              Will we ever come anywhere close to the leafs in the media? No, this is canada and that's how it is.

Now to get close to mlb and jays talk? Well, the jays have been around since 1977 with 2 world champion banners, and just finished going to game 6 of the final 4. That is a big reason why they have a much bigger fan base, old and young. The Raptors just need more success. And no, Atlantic division banners and first round exits for a couple of years don't qualify as sucess. You gotta have a couple of seasons that sportswriters will Make books about.
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

The general sports fan in Toronto is still not getting Basketball. When TSN or SportsNet are putting together their broadcast schedule, they need to figure out what shows will attract the bigger audiences.

Unfortunately even with the Raptors success, basketball is just not really cared for. Where as hockey and baseball do so it sells.

It's a culture thing. It will probably take another generational shift before this changes. Many kids watch the same sport that their parents watched, and they watched the same things their parents watched. It's how I got into hockey. My house was all about hockey. But when the Devils were winning in the mid 90's and the game got boring.. it was about the same time that Jordan was putting on a clinic in the NBA and I completely switched. I haven't looked back despite what my parents or siblings cared about. And its tough to follow a sport that nobody else in your family does. So you have to use forums like this one to discuss your passion.

Thank god for RR.

Comment

I used to listen to "Hoops" with Smith & Jones on 590...it was a weekly show in the evening (forget the day of week). I am not sure it's still being broadcast. I think there is a similar once-a-week show on 1050 as well....heard it in passing but do not have details. Check the stations radio schedules.

Comment

On the plus side, there's enough basketball podcasts to listen to to cover any lunch hour...which leads me to an idea for a new thread....

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                      On the plus side, there's enough basketball podcasts to listen to to cover any lunch hour...which leads me to an idea for a new thread....
                      I get your point and I bet a lot of Hockey markets in the U.S go to Canada to get hockey podcast fix ...

Honestly not complaining ... Just curious as to what type of event would have to occur that NBA Raptor would get something like Baseball Central or Leaf Lunch ...

Could a Conference Game Seven Final ?
                      Last edited by guyroch; Mon Mar 21, 2016, 12:02 PM.

Comment

I get your point and I bet a lot of Hockey markets in the U.S go to Canada to get hockey podcast fix ...

Honestly not complaining ... Just curious as to what type of event would have to occur that NBA Raptor would get something like Baseball Central or Leaf Lunch ...

Could a Conference Game Seven Final ?
                        Hockey works....because it's Canada. Baseball works because they basically play everyday and they've created a fanbase from championship years. Even we the Raps won, I don't think it would change.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                          Hockey works....because it's Canada. Baseball works because they basically play everyday and they've created a fanbase from championship years. Even we the Raps won, I don't think it would change.
                          If the Raptors were to win the first major sports championship in canada since 1993, best believe it would change.
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

The Leafs and Jays have bona fide front men to handle talk radio or simulcasts ...
                            Jeff Blair is all baseball all the time. He knows the game inside out and can bring in guest spots from anywhere on the continent that people want to listen to. The supporting cast from Wilner to Buck Martinez to Dan Schulman are incredibly interesting and can carry any conversation to conclusion.
                            The Leafs are ingrained in the city like no other team. The front men for the Leafs also know the game and generate a North American wide following. Bob McKenzie.. Pierre Lebrun.... Darren Dregger .... the guys from Leafs Lunch... Its endless. Wrap that up with a fan base that has grown up with the game and its going to get air time.

Basketball. What a fall off. Its tough to just have to listen to Leo doing colour.. Can you imagine anyone tuning in to hear more of him and Matt for an hour with no game to help drown out this guy ? Mo Pete bless his heart is trying but he just hasn't got it yet. Jack Armstrong is the best of the lot but he is best suited as a guest analyst. Same for Eric and Jonsey and Shrerman. Butch Carter says some outrageous things to get audience attention and seems to be wired in at times and is interesting but he seems to have pissed off the mgmt at Sportsnet and he is hard to find anywhere in the media right now.
                            So until TSN or Sportsnet makes the investment into a bona fide basketball guy with personality and media chops who can carry a show like a Jalen Rose who by virtue of his accumen can pull in other North American basketball media types like Bomani Jones , Zach Lowe and even the hated Matt Moore of CBS and other ESPN types for a RAPTORS centric show then be prepared for more of the same... which is nothing.
                            Think about it.. would you listen to Leo or Matt or Rod Black at all if weren't for Raptor games on SNET ?
                            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Mar 21, 2016, 11:55 PM.
                            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                            - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                              The Leafs and Jays have bona fide front men to handle talk radio or simulcasts ...
                              Jeff Blair is all baseball all the time. He knows the game inside out and can bring in guest spots from anywhere on the continent that people want to listen to. The supporting cast from Wilner to Buck Martinez to Dan Schulman are incredibly interesting and can carry any conversation to conclusion.
                              The Leafs are ingrained in the city like no other team. The front men for the Leafs also know the game and generate a North American wide following. Bob McKenzie.. Pierre Lebrun.... Darren Dregger .... the guys from Leafs Lunch... Its endless. Wrap that up with a fan base that has grown up with the game and its going to get air time.

Basketball. What a fall off. Its tough to just have to listen to Leo doing colour.. Can you imagine anyone tuning in to hear more of him and Matt for an hour with no game to help drown out this guy ? Mo Pete bless his heart is trying but he just hasn't got it yet. Jack Armstrong is the best of the lot but he is best suited as a guest analyst. Same for Eric and Jonsey and Shrerman. Butch Carter says some outrageous things to get audience attention and seems to be wired in at times and is interesting but he seems to have pissed off the mgmt at Sportsnet and he is hard to find anywhere in the media right now.
                              So until TSN or Sportsnet makes the investment into a bona fide basketball guy with personality and media chops who can carry a show like a Jalen Rose who by virtue of his accumen can pull in other North American basketball media types like Bomani Jones , Zach Lowe and even the hated Matt Moore of CBS and other ESPN types for a RAPTORS centric show then be prepared for more of the same... which is nothing.
                              Think about it.. would you listen to Leo or Matt or Rod Black at all if weren't for Raptor games on SNET ?
                              Is it just me or Mo Pete really bad ? Great guy but this career path he choose isn't for him ...

T-Mac seems like a natural but he works on ESPN ... I do think Mike James is a natural if I reflect on ex-Raptors ...

Comment

Working...
                              X